Resists being bad with alt of absorb?

lumpor

May 8, 2008
Resists being bad with alt of absorb?

I wonder, since resists come before integer absorb, could they potentially make the absorb heal you less?

Like, if you had 50% fire resistance and 50 fire absorb. Then you get hit by a fire attack for 100 fire damage. It gets reduced to 50 by the resists, and then heals you 50. But if you have 75% fire resistance, and recieve a fire attack for 100 damage; it gets reduced to 25, and then it's absorbed, healing you only by 25.

Are those numbers correct?

Re: Resists being bad with alt of absorb?

Are those numbers correct?

I think so... but what happens when you're looking at 500 fire damage with that setup?

So against the highest damaging monsters (i.e. generally the ones you want to concern yourself with) you want higher resists.

Re: Resists being bad with alt of absorb?

That's correct. If resists lower the damage to less than what can be absorbed, it will lead to less healing.

Monsters usually don't have fire attacks which deal really much fire damage. It's usually enough to have Rising Sun with 0% fire res to be more or less immune to the fire attacks of the bloodlords and councils while doing Meph runs, for example. A few notable exceptions are death explosions from fire enchantment or Nihlathak's CE (both deal half fire, half physical damage AFAIK), they can kill you in spite of integer absorb. IMO that's a good reason to maximize fire resist in any case.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High