PvP: Light amazon

jdkerr

Dec 13, 2008
PvP: Light amazon

I am one of those who continually plan builds, wanting to squeeze every little advantage out of this idea or that idea, constantly speculating... and rarely ever following through with any of it. :coffee:

So the latest idea:

How do you folks feel about lightning amazons for PvP play? Lightning Strike and Charged Strike both look like they can churn out quite a bit of damage, especially with a few skillers in the inventory.

Re: PvP: Light amazon

Is this for single player or duels (or both)? It has been a long time since my days of dueling, but pure lightning amazons were tough and amazingly versatile against almost any foe. As for single player, you will still have to deal with lightning immunes unless you will slap an Infinity on your mercenary. The build could get expensive but you are right about the massive damage numbers.

Check out a fairly useful PVP Lightning Amazon guide here.

If you are looking for the biggest damage numbers though, I would suggest a poison amazon. Those guys were amazingly annoying in duels and can throw one jav and take down Baal easily. 100k poison damage is attainable with careful planning. Cheers.

Also, if I build a lightning amazon for PvP, how would I set up the passive tree? I assume one point in each of the six skills on the right would be good, but would I want to invest the four skill points into getting a Valk?

Side-note on this:

As for single player, you will still have to deal with lightning immunes unless you will slap an Infinity on your mercenary.

I've taken my pure-LF 'zon through to 92 playing solo (with many /p8 Baal runs in there), and never had any real problems with my progress. Single-point Jab + tanking merc are really all you need for questing through the game (decoy/valk will help too, if they fit your other plans). It's not the best, fastest, or safest approach but it's reliable enough that you don't need to invest in a backup skill (or play MP extensively) to progress/levelup on your own.

Keep that in mind for your planning.

QED said:
If you are looking for the biggest damage numbers though, I would suggest a poison amazon. Those guys were amazingly annoying in duels and can throw one jav and take down Baal easily. 100k poison damage is attainable with careful planning. Cheers.

I did calculation, the only way I could get over 100k poison damage is getting max +skills.

But that's 103K over 102 sec. I'm not sure I understand how poison damage works, but I remember the damage is added, and time is averaged. So could a small charm with low duration greatly improve the effective damage output?

Also, if I build a lightning amazon for PvP, how would I set up the passive tree? I assume one point in each of the six skills on the right would be good, but would I want to invest the four skill points into getting a Valk?
You'll probably want a Decoy anyway, and extra minions are always good for stopping projectiles. I'd put more than one point into the D/A/E skills though, being able to dodge any attack is very useful.

I did calculation, the only way I could get over 100k poison damage is getting max +skills.

But that's 103K over 102 sec. I'm not sure I understand how poison damage works, but I remember the damage is added, and time is averaged. So could a small charm with low duration greatly improve the effective damage output?

Check out this thread for a great write up on poison damage. I've never built a Poison Thrower although I've dueled plenty of them. You are correct in that you want +skill items, Trang's Gloves, loads of small poison charms, and some faster run/walk.

When dueling, these amazons would toss a poison jav at me and then run like a crazy person for a few seconds. When they have a bit of a distance, they would shoot a few Guided Arrows or Multi Arrows and keep running. Highly annoying but very clever.

Not too get too off topic, but the Poison Dagger Necro duelers were far more annoying because of Bone Wall. Those guys can do good damage, use Lower Resists Curse, and Bone Wall for safety. Plus running around with a dagger just looks cool.:thumbup:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High