Poll: Will you be playing Single Player D2R?

Will you be playing Single Player D2R?

• Total voters
With D2R as an activator I just found a laptop I will buy to play the game. (Was playing D2 on my gf's laptop for the last 5 years, so it's about time...).

By a chance of fate between the release date of D2R and 4th of October I am between jobs and don't have to work. So I can actually play the game when the kids are at school and gf at work. What are the odds?!

I plan to start on Bnet on release, enjoy the new esthetics solo and then play coop helping others with leveling through the game. I always liked that on Bnet.

However, I a few weeks ago I came out of D2 hibernation and have been farming Keys exclusively. As soon as its clear how to port characters to D2R I will move all my characters to D2R.

I will keep an isolated back-up before migrating my characters.

I will keep a copy of D2 on my new laptop to be able to make new characters to act as mules and to be able to transfer items from GoMule to D2R. Hopefully, a working mule program similar to GoMule will be made soon enough.

Is there already any news how Uber Diablo will spawn in SP?

Exciting times :) .
Hey Hookipa! Someone has been working on GoMule for D2R:

Also for the Diablo Clone spawn in SP, it looks like it will require vendoring 1 SoJ as stated by Pez here:

Update, Sept 30, 2021:
Forget that other link, use Silospen's release:
As of this edit it is in-progress, follow the release thread by the original author:

:)

Last edited:
I'm a little shocked to see such a definite answer about a complete move over, first one I've seen in this thread I think? And from @jjscud, ... I'm curious as to your reasons why? Aren't you nervous? Will you keep a backup of your characters in case it doesn't go well?

At this point it would be quite a chore to try to track down and destroy every one of my backups, and I'll certainly make another. More to the point. I've never been one for time traveling, I've always been a one patch player. Since I pre-ordered, I got to play both beta weekends and am very pleased with the experience. It could happen at some point that Blizz could do something so wacky that I don't move forward a patch (assuming I even have a choice).

Ultimately, my full restart is still fairly recent. I would rather risk a future one down the road than restart right now.

I wasn't so positive in trying D2R at first but they are going to implement everything I wanted for D2 and now I am eagerly waiting for it.
We can move our current chars, Ladder Runewords, Pandemonium Event, Diablo clone, tons of quality of life stuff, extra table with showing all the necessary statistics like FRC, FHR and so on!

I guess I will wait a bit to read reviews that everything works perfectly as intended before I make a complete transition to D2R.

Reactions: Kartongen
I am curious to know what everyone thinks of long term goals like level 99, Grail etc. Should D2R simply be regarded as a newer patch? Or should we keep track separately? From what I've read from pepole (some wanting to forward everything to D2R) option 2 is not an option, because how would they fit into the equation?

Reactions: PhineasB
Well, I think it will difficult to fully address that concern until release when we have more information about how D2R performs on the various platforms. If there are game-breaking or easily abused new bugs that give an advantage or something similar, I'm certain there will be disqualifying rules for such occasions. Kind of like how 1.09 isn't allowed in the Untwinked 99er thread iirc.

Reactions: Grisu and PhineasB
@Grisu I think that's what max (and the rest of the forum) is trying to figure out right now. D2R is almost exactly the same though, like on a moment to moment basis when playing. You guys ever click the corner of a sarcophagus and it doesn't open because the angle isn't quite right or something? Still happens. Everything is the same almost annoyingly so. I almost wish there was some improvements on some of these tiny things. You never really hear it talked about. People are going on and on about these things that I never personally cared about - traps sometimes make less boss packs spawn, or the eth bug, or whatever people are going on and on about on every website. NHAM bug is a big one I wish was fixed but it's beside the point. Ultimately it's the tiny moment to moment gameplay that makes or breaks the game. In that aspect they've succeeded, because it is the same game. Every tiny feeling is the same when you click. You click you move, you click things the door bugs out and opens/closes a bunch of times. It's the same game. It's exactly what I wanted with a remaster and generally what die-hard fans wanted regardless of the picture that the most vocal paint on the internet at the current moment.

IMO what I think will happen is this - the majority of forumites will play it separately for a period of time, generally not adopting the new patch fully (starting fresh/no old saves). Eventually people will transfer their saves, including the people who play the most for some of the obvious reasons like @jjscud said, like cross progression (in my case, my wife always wants to lay in bed when I want to play d2, which keeps me from playing at all, which will now be possible to do with playing on a switch). And slowly folks will switch over for those types of conveniences. I see annihilus and hellfire torch being a big reason - it's one of the last holdouts that separates this forum from other massive single player community mods (illegal to speak of here, but everyone knows which one in particular I'm talking about that allows you to get those 2 charms). And tbh they're not necessary but they are massively nice and open up tons of equipment options for tons of builds, make tons more options for strong builds to push 99 more easily, etc etc the list goes on.

Ultimately the lists of 99ers for example will never be diminished by having an easier time on a new patch. No one can ever be a @strijdje hitting 99 first in 2004 ever again, let alone on a windy druid, topping the list. I think people in the new patch should just be added right to the very end of it because guess what it's basically just as hard. It doesn't matter that it's slightly easier because of annihilus because it's still an incomprehensibly grindy boring time, completed alone, by only a select few of everyone who has ever posted here. So tack them on the end.

With that being said I think it will be the perfect time to get new players and get them involved here. I do think there should be a new d2r 99er challenge thread because there will be a lot of people returning and new players who will have interest in competing. Who is going to hit 99 first in d2r? Anyone betting on @PhineasB ?

There are more interesting things to think about that will impact how this remaster is treated - for example, with the eth upgrade bug being fixed, will old items converted on saves be fixed and changed retroactively? Will any items be retroactively updated? Will items from 1.07/08 be updated when converting old saves? I doubt it, but if something janky like this happens I can see d2r being treated as a completely separate environment. I for one wouldn't want to give up my 1.07 arkaine's for example. To me things like this make d2 next level awesome, so if something with old items changes then that's where the line should be drawn. What if some old items bug out when converted to D2R and end up massively overpowered? Like take for example how eth 1.07 bases get extra max damage when forwarded, if there are additional buggy interactions forwarding items/chars into d2r that could have serious impacts providing buggy items like that, accessible to everyone. What if those bugs are more serious than the 1.07 eth situation? Will that be acceptable to the forum? There's no way to know ahead of actual release.

Otherwise I think ultimately it will simply be a time-traveling deal, where players will play old d2 patches, get old items, play and go forward and play in d2r with those items the same as always, almost everyone will convert eventually and things will progress normally on the forum with very little interruption, some folks will declare that they play 1.14 or 1.13 or whatever, and some will say they're d2r and there will be basically no difference between them, the same as between 1.13 and 1.14.

Edit: And I'm firmly in the "hope they add new content" camp. I'm not sure how that would be handled here, however I've been playing the same game over and over for hundreds or thousands of hours a year for the better part of 2 decades so I'm ready for more changes. So I hope that happens in future patches to the game and that I and everyone here move forward and make new history.

Last edited:
I think both versions will be comparable, even if slight advantages and disadvantages will exist in both versions (or so I belive). I think having people declare what version they play is relevant is some situation, but unless asked you should not have to clarify all the time.

I think we need to find a better thing to call the old game than "classic". Because classic already means something, and having the same name for both classic and LoD would be confusing.
I propose we use the term Legacy, or D2L. This both since D2R/D2L has a nice symmetry to is, but also since it would give the LCS two correct meanings (lying/legacy character screen).

As for changes (and new content) to the game, I would prefer to have it as close to the original as possible. Minor changes, such as the auto pickup of gold, I approve of.

If larger changes were to be applied, I really hope then fix bugs and strange design choices. I cant see why they would leave NHAM in ("too keep the experience the same") but remove eth-bugging armour. I would love to see NHAM (and dodge/evade bug, which is just a subset of NHAM, right?) removed. If they were to change more, I would love to see some love to the left hand spear tree.

There are two points for what happens with the new version:

Q: What does D2R mean for SPF rules?
A: It will be a new version and I am currently revising the rules. Generally the direction is to simplify. For bringing in anything from 1.14 or earlier, the usual time travelling rules apply.

Q: What does D2R mean for MFOs, Untwinked 99ers, any other Tournament?
Tournament rules are a subset of the SPF rules. Basically it is down to the tournament owner, but must comply with SPF rules.

Source for the Ethereal bug getting fixed? Generally would be really useful if everyone can provide links to (preferably blue) posts about any bug fixes etc.

Source is the game during the betas, it was fixed in the game.
TBH, I've yet to buy into this. Ebug was a byproduct of another bugfix (ie eth items not properly upgraded via cube).

I'm not fully convinced that the other bug was fixed.

PC is too old so I have no choice, even though I'd love to play it there. We do have a switch in the house .. and i'm part considering it. Seems quite a few switch fans out there (and other places). Not seeing other consoles mentioned.

If I did have the option of PC D2R .. I might do similar to what I did 1.09 going into 1.10. I made a character with some things to help in normal/nightmare. Stuff that wouldn't be missed out of 1.09, but really useful to start.

It may come down to the price on switch, and if my buddies in same time zones are available.

I had been excited about the new version of Diablo 2, but had pretty much planned on waiting for awhile before picking it up. But after finding out that there will be a usable version of GoMule for it, my only worry is the fact that my video card ran really hot (85c) when I tried the public Beta, and I only played for about an hour.

Hopefully that will get fixed or perhaps there will be a work around that will make the game playable without the heating issue.

I voted "maybe." I preordered, but I am very disappointed with the removal of TCP/IP.

I think that I will probably keep playing D2LoD (or D2L as we may come to call it) for SP, but I may go back to Bnet for MP in D2R. I don't think that I'll move my current SP characters into the D2R since it will likely be online only (i.e. the game won't run with no internet).

Reactions: Kartongen
I will buy it when it launches. Fresh start to begin with, to squeeze as much nostalgia as I can from the updated visuals. However, after I reach a certain point, most likely when I can do the megabosses comfortably even though I started fresh, there will come a time when I will miss my 1.00 items, my 1.07 items and my stupid large library of items. Won't have time to do 99, and won't have time to start a new grail... at least until my son is finished loading, which should be around newyears.

EDIT: Oops, pre-purchase still available... so it's taken care of now.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxicek
I only ever buy it, if TCP gets added again.

Also I'd like to have a muling program like gomule for it ready, 3 shared tabs is just nothing.(my rune stash needs 20 10*10 sites at the very least)

I only ever buy it, if TCP gets added again.

Also I'd like to have a muling program like gomule for it ready, 3 shared tabs is just nothing.(my rune stash needs 20 10*10 sites at the very least)
That can be seen as some specific tournament ruling :p

Next step: entry tickets to be bought to participate to the RFL editions 💰

You want dat nu charms?! Cash in baby :cool:

Yes, but first I'll dive into b.net with same guys from 20 years ago. Gonna relive my teens shortly!

Not going to transfer my current SP characters into D2R, though. At least not immediately. Maybe not ever.

Reactions: snickersnack
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High