Pointless mods...

Frosty_The_Snowman

New member
Jun 2, 2004
4,343
0
0
Pointless mods...

For example, let's have a look at Ormus' mods :

Defense: 371-487 (varies)(Base Defense: 361-467)
Required Level: 75
Required Strength: 77
Durability: 20
+10-20 Defense (varies)
...

Now honestly, does anybody have any idea of the purpose of this mod on an ELITE item ? Just as if 15 AVG def on a 400+ def armor would make any difference...

So as a general matter, what is the purpose of such mods that really grant nothing to the final stats :scratch: ?
 
snowclash
Defense: 98-116 (varies)(Base Defense: 37-42)
Adds 13-21 Cold Damage @ 3 sec. duration (Normal)

whoopie doo, 13-21 cold dmg on a sorc item! :lol:

-jordy :king:
 
+xdef is way better than say oh..

+x to light radius even if the x = 99. Light radius is the most useless mod in all of gaming :rant:

but still... 10-20 def? ewwwwww
 
Luckymofo said:
+xdef is way better than say oh..

+x to light radius even if the x = 99. Light radius is the most useless mod in all of gaming :rant:

but still... 10-20 def? ewwwwww

I beg to differ on the light radius point. This can be a very beneficial mod when you are wearing other items that reduce light radius. Given enough -light radius equipment you can be running blind in the dark areas of Sanctuary to the extent that monsters can be on screen with you being totally unaware until their blade slashes your throat.

If you want to see a totally useless mod (and by extension a totally useless skill on the Barb tree) check out increased stamina, +%stamina regeneration and slower stamina drain. I have built scores of different characters over the years and not a single one has ever had an issue with lack of stamina past Act 2 normal. Yes, wearing something like Sacred Armour drains your stamina, but if your life is so low at the level when you can equip Sacred Armour (71 iirc) that you cannot run all the way across an area then there is something wrong.

As for Ormus you have to take into consideration the other mods on the item. Yes the +10-20 def sucks but the other mods, and other possible mods, are really quite powerful. If Ormus had +100-200% enhanced defence you would be complaining about how overpowered it is.

As for Snowclash, the only sorcs that gain that cold damage are melee sorcs (ok ranged enchantresses too), spellcasters do not benefit from it. 13-21 cold damage is actually pretty good when you are stacking cold mods, especially when you consider that the highest cold damage mod, Hibernal, is one of, if not the, highest level mod in the entire game.
 
well steel shade armet is one of the worsts elites with the worst mods.....

Andy
 
Luckymofo said:
+xdef is way better than say oh..

+x to light radius even if the x = 99. Light radius is the most useless mod in all of gaming :rant:

I think you're forgetting my old friend 'Attacker Takes Damage of 1' :xx:
 
My personal Favourite is Tals Mask

10% life leach
10% mana leach...

Especially when most sorcs use spells, therefore leach is of no use at all.

And if u were a sorc and used Tals mask, then u would use the whole set.

The orb doesnt do enough melee damage, so u wont get much leaching anyway.

Stupid.

Tals mask should be 10% Fast cast, 10% extra mana.
 
I agree with Stamina, armor should suck a lot more stamina than it does , when was the last time anyone ever used walk? I bet never, if I run out of stamina , i dont switch to walk I just stand still for 5 seconds...

There are tons of useless skills

Thunderstorm - Sorc - Its the most useless skill ever.
Amazon Magic skills - All have steep diminishing returns after level 7.

the list could go on forever.


sorry for double post, I thought I clicked edit - not post
 
Gaza0469 said:
My personal Favourite is Tals Mask

10% life leach
10% mana leach...

Especially when most sorcs use spells, therefore leach is of no use at all.

And if u were a sorc and used Tals mask, then u would use the whole set.

The orb doesnt do enough melee damage, so u wont get much leaching anyway.

Stupid.

Tals mask should be 10% Fast cast, 10% extra mana.


yea but it's excellent for mercs and players alike who needs leech. And tal set true bonuses are from the full set right? :xgift:
 
Gaza0469 said:
There are tons of useless skills

Thunderstorm - Sorc - Its the most useless skill ever.
Amazon Magic skills - All have steep diminishing returns after level 7.

the list could go on forever.

Sorcs use Thunderstorm skill. Its not worthless.

There is a reason Zons magic skills have diminishing returns. If they didnt they would simply be immpossible to kill. Dodge 95%, Avoid 95%, Evasive 95%.

JRyan
 
They are severe diminishing returns though - like each skill point only adds 2%
at a later stage , they should even the entire structure out, like each point adds 4% from the start, not make it really fast then slow right off- its not balanced.

Thunderstorm is useless.

My sorc has 20 in TS and 20 in Lightning mastery, seriously it does nothing, Thunderstorm is junk.

Its good in Normal and NM, but when it comes to hell monsters regenerate their HP faster than thunderstorm can do damage.
 
Like most skills in 1.10, Thunderstorm needs to be synergised by other lightning skills before it really shines. Perhaps you should try going to the Sorc forum and see what they have to say about it, just be sure to wear some fireproof clothing.

Passive skills do not give 2% at higher levels, this is mid levels. They give .3% above level 20 and I think about .25% above around level 25. It is hard enough to kill an Amazon with maxed D/A/E (they are as near to immortal as you can get in this game) there is no reason to give them more.

I had forgotten about the Attacker takes Damage of 1. Actually this isn't an altogether bad mod, in the Blood Moor, in Normal. It's when you get the elite version (xxx of Swords?) that it's totally useless - Attacker takes Damage of 13...wow how godly is that?
 
Thats the problem, Thunderstorm doesnt have any synergies.

The only thing it benefits from is Lightning Mastery, and even with that maxed it still doesent do anything.

Thats why I said its a junk skill.


************

As for the ama skills, I agree, they are 2 strong, thats wot Im trying to say, they should go up evenly, lets look at critical strike

Level 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
% 16 25 32 38 42 46 49 51 54 56 58 59 61 62 63 65 65 66 67 68

it starts at 16% I think this is to high, and then it goes up 7% , then 7%, then 6% etc etc

They should of just made it 3% per level, starting at 10%. That would take it to 70% at level 20.

That would mean you would have to sink 20 points into it to make it good.

most ppl just sink 1-5 points in, then rely on plus skills.

by having the returns so high at the start means that amas dont have to waste any points in them, it means they can sink 80 points into one attack skill and synergies and be almost godly.
 
Gaza0469 said:
Thats the problem, Thunderstorm doesnt have any synergies.

The only thing it benefits from is Lightning Mastery, and even with that maxed it still doesent do anything.

Thats why I said its a junk skill.

Blizzard synergized all the weak skills, and left out most of the uber 1337 skills. TS is strong just the way it is. Compared to a 13k hammer or what not, its crappy, but it can take out most chars without max resists in 2 hits. My 1.09 sorc has a 200 damage Frozen orb and like a 2 (or 3) k TS, and I can still kill 90% of all the PvPers out there. Barbs with holy freeze to druids that teles. I think I only can't get close to trapsins and FoH pallies. TS attacks almost every time you tele, and uses up FHR to stop melee chars from chasing you for split sec. A very useful skill for PvP

If you want to flame a skill, flame holy bolt or blade shield. Now, those are pretty useless skills.
 
chrisng said:
Blizzard synergized all the weak skills, and left out most of the uber 1337 skills. TS is strong just the way it is. Compared to a 13k hammer or what not, its crappy, but it can take out most chars without max resists in 2 hits. My 1.09 sorc has a 200 damage Frozen orb and like a 2 (or 3) k TS, and I can still kill 90% of all the PvPers out there. Barbs with holy freeze to druids that teles. I think I only can't get close to trapsins and FoH pallies. TS attacks almost every time you tele, and uses up FHR to stop melee chars from chasing you for split sec. A very useful skill for PvP

If you want to flame a skill, flame holy bolt or blade shield. Now, those are pretty useless skills.

agreed, holy bolt and blade sheild are useless, probably more useless than TS.

TS is crap in 1.10.

I agree, it was brilliant in 1.09, but not any more, the lack of synergies make it crap.

In hell on a good day it will take 1/4 of a normal monsters health away, (in act5 I am talking about) 1/3 of a monsters health in act1

its just crappy for the 40 points u waste, you could havea fully amped up skill like blizzard, or meteor, or chain lightning.

40 points is a lot of points, and you just dont get enough bang for your dollars
 
Thunderstorm is not useless, and even if it WAS, it's because of the following.

You people seem to all be forgetting that there's a reason for 'bad' mods. It's to keep balance in check. This has been said many times before but people seem to just not get it.

Take Ormus. The other mods on Ormus are AWESOME for several characters. The game designers gave it +10-20 defense because if it had say ohh, +2 all skills, it would be too good.

If Thunderstorm was say as good as Blizzard+Meteor, then why would anyone use Chain Lightning these days? Why would people use anything else at all?

You need balance. You need bad mods to make other mods look good. You need bad skills to teach you the use of other skills.

Personally I reckon they should of just kept the negative affects from Diablo 1. This would stop people bitching about how a mod is useless. Just be greatful it isn't -50% all res ok?

(Before anyone says anything, yes I am aware that their are still a few negative mods in the game, but nothing compared to Diablo 1.)
 
Gaza0469 said:
agreed, holy bolt and blade sheild are useless, probably more useless than TS.

This might sound stupid, but I max holybolt when making an FOH.
It really shines in the chaos sanctuary. Holybolt can get really high dmg lvls. To bad no bosses are undead! :lol:

JRyan
:innocent:
 
My favorite worthless mod is:

Health: Damage Reduced by 1

Wow that can really save your ***!

JRyan
:lol:
 
Sokar Rostau said:
As for Ormus you have to take into consideration the other mods on the item. Yes the +10-20 def sucks but the other mods, and other possible mods, are really quite powerful. If Ormus had +100-200% enhanced defence you would be complaining about how overpowered it is.

That's not the point. I'm talking about this specific mod. It would have its place on a normal unique armor, but not on an elite one. What's more, I obviously don't want to see it change for a 200% Enhanced Defense... It's all a question of balance. I think an average defense boosting would have been welcome, something like 50%-100% Enhanced Defense (varies) or +200 Defense (fixed) :xrollseye.
 
jryan said:
My favorite worthless mod is:

Health: Damage Reduced by 1

Wow that can really save your ***!

JRyan
:lol:
Haha you want to know my favourite charms ?

+1% Magic Find GRAND CHARM... OMG 2 of them and I'll drop TONS of extra uniques for sure :xflash: !!
+1 Max Damage SMALL CHARM... Yes but... Level 81 REQUIRED :scared: !! Oh my, I will roXoRz with it... :lol:
 
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High