Please enlighten me

ExtraSauce

Aug 3, 2020
Hey all, I’m newbie to the forum (not the game). After reading the rules and several posts, I’m a little confused about something. How does one actually obtain an item or trade? I was thinking over open bnet, but that is against the rules... so can someone tell me how this works? Pardon my noobness 😆

We use muling programs for storing and trading items - ATMA and GoMule (You can find the links here - "Links fot Tools and Utilities" section). You also have to open a trade profile in the trading forum before you can create trade requests/posts.

I thing the rules explain how to trade (stash file or char file) or you can ask one of the moderators how it's done.

Reactions: ExtraSauce
Yes, basically instead of doing a live trade, you just create a separate stash (each stash saves as a separate file on your computer), put the item you are trading in it, and then save and email that stash to the other person. They send you one back with the item you are trading for. After both sides confirm receipt, the sent stash is deleted from your computer so that items are not duplicated by accident.

Sounds good, I may try this. I'm iffy about using ATMA or GoMule atm since I started on a clean slate/clean install/new pc about a year ago. Aside from a txt file to allow runewords I have not installed any other mods or programs and I'm doing pretty well so far. I do have my own nifty muling system across 2 pcs on LAN... just worried about those programs throwing me off or giving me headaches.

My .02 gold pieces: Please at least give GoMule a trial, to compare/contrast it with what you are currently comfortable doing with your 2 networked machines? Then share your honest evaluation of your GoMule experience here?

(I'm biased in favor of GoMule, but I'm genuinely interested to learn your informed opinions about it, ExtraSauce.)

I can highly recommend GoMule. It is virtually headache free, and the program significantly increased my enjoyment of the game. You can sort items into multiple stashes or search a large stash by item type and other characteristics. It is good for keeping items separate that need to be separate (Hardcore vs Softcore stash, untwinked characters, tournament loot, etc). The program is used by several people on this site, and I have never heard of anyone having performance or security issues after installing. You should give it a try.

I'm trying to stay purist. However... there is one set item which has become my holy grail and led me to finding this forum. From what I've been reading on here, it seems like I found the right community. More on this later...

Let me describe what I have going on and you guys tell me if GoMule can work with me or against me. I play across 2 pcs on LAN, this helps if I want chant or BO/shout, etc. Each PC has multi user accounts with potential 8 characters/stashes per user account. Occasionally I have shuffled one character to a folder and created a new slot. I found that I could mule more efficiently if my mules were NOT lvl1, so I started several mules as lvl33 in act5. This way the mule can actually equip certain items, thus giving me more space. If this all sounds doable... I'll give it a shot.

Also, will I be needing a separate shortcut for bnet?

Having played exclusively on battle.net for most of the time I played D2 really makes me appreciate GoMule (and Atma for 1.07).

It would be easier if you just tried it out.

It's a standalone Java executable so you do need Java installed, but you probably already have it because many applications are written in Java. It has nothing to do directly with the game, so you do not need a special shortcut because of GoMule.

When you run the program you get a more or less empty window in front of you, simialr to a regular windows file explorer. You can open existing characters and open or create "stashes", this is where you can store your items. Opening a character will need access to the save, specifically the d2s file.

Once you open a character you can see all the items with their graphic, hovering over each will reveal it's stats and the fingerprint, which was previously mentioned. Clicking on any item will transfer it into temporary space, clicking on an empty space in your character's inverntory, cube or stash will put the last item you took there. You can also create an external stash which can hold thousands of items. It will slow down if you cram too much stuff into it, but you can just make another one.

These are the basics, you can do much more regarding stash management with GoMule.

Edit: thanks Vildecor for dropping a screnshot, I'm away from my gaming PC so I couldn't :)

Last edited:
I figured a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's what the program looks like:

GoMuleExample.PNG

This shows my "Softcore" project (with only four characters :(), my untwinked 99 runner who is in the middle of LK runs for runes, and a stash just for her with 1501 items. You can see the sorting options in the stash window for ease of access of finding particular items. From here you can pick up items from the character to place in a stash or on another character, or select item(s) from a stash to place in other stashes or on characters. Closing the character window or clicking the "Save All" button in the toolbar will save the changes to your character and you're ready to go.

That's all there is too it. It comes with other neat things as well, like a Flavie report that can show your progress on your set/unique item grail.

I found that I could mule more efficiently if my mules were NOT lvl1, so I started several mules as lvl33 in act5. This way the mule can actually equip certain items, thus giving me more space. If this all sounds doable... I'll give it a shot.

Welcome to the SPF! Just a quick note: the -act 5 command line is not allowed according to the forum rules (sounds like you meant that?) (as is - seed BTW) :) enjoy your stay and good luck with your finds!

Welcome to the SPF! Just a quick note: the -act 5 command line is not allowed according to the forum rules (sounds like you meant that?) (as is - seed BTW) :) enjoy your stay and good luck with your finds!

I probably won't have to do that anymore. Seemed like a great way to use pixels wisely.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High