Patriarch ZodPal: Freezing & Shocking Avenger

ffs

Feb 7, 2017
Character #6 in my Zod sept.

After Mat'ing the Sorc a few days ago, the Paladin quickly followed suit as the Avengers MP group (with @maxicek, @D2DC, @skiffcz, @PhineasB) quested through all of Hell this last weekend.

maxicek kindly recorded the Pat Baal run....

... as well as additional gameplay videos, see this post.

Gear and build when making Patriarch:

Code:
eth Heaven's Light, socketed with Zod + 15 IAS/34 ED RJoF
Dream crown (28 FHR, 19@)
Dream ST (30 FHR, 61@)
Ormus' Robes 14 L /14 C/12 F, socketed with 5/4 lighting facet
HLW
Raven Froat
Rare ring 72 AR, 8 LL, 5 ML, 21 FR, 19 LR
SoE
Bloodcraft gloves 20 IAS, 9 CB, 3 LL, 13 dex, 13 CR, 14 PR
War Traveler

CtA/Spirit switch

Inventory: 6x OA skillers with life, life/res SCs
Merc (Might): Infinity, Duriel, Tal (never changed after end of NM)

Build: 20 Holy Freeze, Resist Cold, Resist Lightning, Salvation, 1 Vengeance pre-reqs, rest Holy Shield

Only 1 hard pt in Vengeance as he'll Zeal going forward, should I pick him up again for whatever reason.

Holy Freeze and P8 all the way, except for Hell Baal but that was @maxicek's fault. :p

Normal/NM:
Early twinking route was Envy jewel'ed bow/armor/cap, followed by Death's set at lvl 6. Once Holy Freeze became available, he used what felt like every other unique scepter that he could equip as he leveled up. Also mixed in things like Spineripper to apply HF damage quickly/reliably.

IIRC he struggled a bit in his 40s until we could switch to Oath. Once he could though, it melted everything until end of NM. After gaining a few levels from Eldritch & Pindle, he equipped his endgame weapon to finish NM:

Screenshot028.jpg

IIRC it was @PhineasB who suggested to use this weapon on a Holy Freeze Pally, and I liked the idea from the start. When I chose to go with Dreams on top of that, it meant lightning damage would take center stage in the end... But it's still a question how to deal with lightning immunes and supplement the Dreams. In the past I thought it best to hybridize with physical damage (and Grief) and still think that's probably the best way to go about it ultimately.

But it turns out just using HF was really nice as well. Lower level conviction aura from Merc (as opposed to Pally) does mean somewhat lower damage, but having everything chilled/slowed and ready to be slaughtered does add a ton of QoL in return. And it's not like he was lacking damage in any case. :)

Hell:
In Hell we MP'ed with the group above and benefited a ton from various auras, high level BO etc. Everything basically died immediately on P8, so it's hard to say what might have caused him trouble in theory. :D But whenever he briefly got separated from the group, he still smacked things down quickly though, and felt quite safe as well.

For A1-A3, we went without Dreams and 2-handed. This meant we shuffled around a bit to focus on cold damage/HF and went all-in on Vengeance for a while with BotD. Build was the same as above but with max'ed Vengeance and lower Resist Lightning, using this gear:

Code:
BotD eth GPA (411 ED)
faceted Nighwing's Veil (+20/-5)
CoH AP
Bloodcraft gloves (see above)
Mara's
Raven Froat
Rare ring (see above)
WT
SoE

For A4-A5 we switched to the Dream setup, just because I really wanted to use the Heaven's Light that I'd Zod'ed for him specifically, at least for the two final acts. Dreams are OP of course so that's that. But honestly, against everything not cold immune, the BotD/NWV setup was basically just strong. Even against CIs BotD still deals a meaningful amount of phyiscal damage.

Anyway, this guy was super fun to play, but doing so with the MP group made it 100 times more awesome. Thanks again for organising @maxicek!

Only Necro to go in the sept. He's currently in NM. Should be done in a couple of days if I find the time.

Thanks for reading!

Nice!

I know it's coincidental, but I like how the mod numbers pan out.. All those 3s! If only it's a +3 as well...

Reactions: ffs
Nice! Thanks, @ffs . And @maxicek 's "fiery vengeance" druid made me think of another movie hero named "Smalls."

Congratulations ffs, he was definately one of the stronger characters in the group.
Actually I am thinking about going for dual dreams and holy freeze for the shapeshifing group, inspired by this build.

As others have said, sweet character, and agreed he was most OP member of the group.

@maxicek speaking of OP, I had an absolute blast with my dual dream frosty palabear, linked here, and my favorite of the entire 7x7. He was a total wrecking ball and very sturdy.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxicek and ffs
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High