Patriarch WhiterShade(of)Pale, Novamancer (D2R)

TheNix

Jun 23, 2003
And so it was, that later,
As the miller told his tale,
That her face, at first just ghostly,
Turned a whiter shade of pale.

Patriarch WhiterShade(of)Pale, Novamancer

Level: 88

St – 91 (165)
Dx – 35 (77)
Vt – 379 (406)
En – 25 (52)

HP: 1303 (+665 in Bone Armour)
Mana: 435

Damage:

Poison Nova: 8564 – 8838

Resists:

Fire: 75
Cold: 75
Ltning: 75
Poison: 59

Skills:

Bone:
Poison Dagger: 20 (39)
Poison Explosion 20 (39)
Poison Nova 20 (39)
Bone Prison: 20 (39)
Bone Wall: 4 (24)
Bone Spear: 1 (20)
Teeth: 1 (20)
Bone Armour: 1 (20)
Corpse Exp: 1 (20)

Curses:
Amp. Dam, Dim Vision, Iron Maiden, Weaken, Terror & Decrep., Life Tap, Lower Resist: 1 (19)

Summoning:
Clay Golem, Golem Mastery & Summon Resist: 1 (14)

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

Death’s Web w/ +5, -4 Facet
Trang-Oul’s Wing w/ +5, -4 Facet

Weapon 2:

“White” Grim Wand
Pdiamond Homunculus

“Um” Harlequin Crest
“CoH” Dusk Shroud
Trang-Oul’s Claws
Silkweave
Trang-Oul’s Girth
Mara’s Kaleidoscope
BKWB x 2
Necro Torch (3, 20, 19)

Merc (Act 1 – Cold Arrow)

Rockstopper
The Spirit Shroud
“Insight” Reflex Bow (+3 Bow Skills)

Random musings:

Let me start by saying that, like the Torch, the Sunder charm is OP too. There is not a lot to say about this build other than to say it was a walk in the park; even easier than my Bonemancer. That being said, he was killed twice while the bonemancer didn’t die at all, but the deaths were completely avoidable if I have been paying attention. The first one I was too busy picking up loot to notice I was poisoned and the second one was that I failed to notice that I was locked in a bone prison with the monster with the inevitable outcome. The only real pain with this build was having to use Poison Dagger until the nova became available.

I tried various combinations of curses and the bone prison, but in the end, the safest route was to simply put everything to sleep with the Dim Vision curse, walk into the pack and drop a nova or two and move on to the next pack. Anything that was not affected by this curse I’d put in a prison and drop a nova or two. With bosses, I’d just drop them in a prison, give them a Lower Resist curse, and drop a nova every two seconds until they were dead. It was just that simple, if a little slow. At no stage did I have the players setting any lower than three and the ease of play was ridiculous; with more clever use of the prison and LR I could have easily run him at /P5 or higher.

Bone Prison was a bit of a two-edged sword. Out in the open, it wasn’t too bad, but in indoor areas having to wait for ten seconds plus for the prison to break of its own accord, with it blocking your way forward the whole time. I spent a considerable time just sitting there twiddling my thumbs. I noticed that if you walked away while the prison was still up, it was still up (and seemed to become indestructible) when you came back later.

I put the White wand and the homunculus on swap to give my Bone Armour a boost (but I forgot to use it most of the time) and for the Bone Spear so that I could break doors, walls and stuff (but Trang-Oul’s Fire Wall worked better). So much for that.

I am on the horns of an enema (thank you Kelly Bundy, I love that line!!!) about what to do for my druid. I want to try the fire Druid, but the change to next hit makes a windy Druid look nice and tasty. Decisions, decisions.

Screenshot094.png

Nice Pat, and interesting to see use of the Trang set oSkills. I have the same issue with bone prison/wall with the timer, and that's why I generally don't use them. Looking forward to seeing the Druid!

Reactions: TheNix
I am on the horns of an enema (thank you Kelly Bundy, I love that line!!!) about what to do for my druid. I want to try the fire Druid, but the change to next hit makes a windy Druid look nice and tasty. Decisions, decisions.
I am also a fan of that sage (Bud: you have to be chaste. Kelly: Oooh, do I get a head start?), but I hadn't seen/heard that one. :)

Also, the fire druid has benefitted from the NHD changes, so don't discount that.

Also, the fire druid has benefitted from the NHD changes, so don't discount that.
I might look around for a juicy pelt for Flickering Flame for a while, but if nothing pops up, I'll go for the windy just using Jalal's and hope something comes up while he's terrorising the baddies.

Reactions: snickersnack
Nice Pat! The Poison Necro is a fun build, especially once you get some of the key pieces of gear to really make him shine.

Re: Druid builds and NHD changes in 2.7: I think the Wind build also benefits from these changes. I don't play this build much but I Pat'd a Wind Druid a while back, and I dusted him off after 2.7 was released just for fun. I think he performs better now. Tornados seem to hit a bit more often, and you can mix in Twisters with your Tornados, which would have caused NHD problems prior to 2.7. Still not my favourite build, but I found it less boring to play since 2.7.

Congratulations @TheNix
The merc looks a bit of a poor relation compared the the character with Spirt Shroud and Rockstopper. Did you restart in D2R? I was wondering if you deliberately avoided CtA?

Thanks @maxicek I haven't restarted D2R, it is simply that my merc's only job is to supply my character with mana via Insight and she did that adequately so there was no need to change anything. At some stage, I might make a Duress but I'm in no hurry. As for CtA, the few times I have used it, it made me feel dirty, so yes, I avoid it while actively playing the Acts. Along with CtA, Enigma and character respecs, are tools I refuse to use until after I have killed Hell Baal.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxicek
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High