Patriarch Perun - Auradin

Flan

Oct 4, 2021
Let me start by saying this is a build I wanted to do once I saw that holy fire was going to be improved, and with my LK runs I was able to work my way to this. He is not even close to optimized, but he was a lot of fun to play and the first of my planned Dual Dream Sept. Didn't die until Hell, getting surrounded by 2 boss packs on the Plains of Despair and again in Glacial Trail with 3 boss packs of Frenzytaurs. For a melee character, the crowd control was amazing with freeze, blind and CTC confusion to go along with the pulse damage. Hellforge dropped crap (Hel in Hell), but found a Mal with best drop being Eschuta's. Did cows at P8 as well, though pretty slow while being very safe. Actually quite funny being surrounded by a ton of cows and have them fighting each other instead of me.

Screenshot132.png

Had CtA on switch along with Spirit to get over 2K life and to have an ok Holy Shield. All runes were found in D2R, except the Cham and 1 Jah that I pulled forward from legacy. Part of the lack of optimization was that I hadn't gotten everything from legacy to D2R, and then not enough from there to 2.4. This is before CtA.
Screenshot133.png

Here's after CtA:
Screenshot134.png

Points were all prereqs, plus 20 in Resist Fire, Resist Lightning, Fanaticism and Sacrifice with the rest into Zeal. Probably better off putting points in Salvation, but did enough leeching to maintain survivability. I am going to make a Dual Dream pally using different armor and weapon, just to see if that is a better route. Here are the toys used:

Screenshot135.pngScreenshot136.pngScreenshot137.pngScreenshot138.png

Congrats!

Only 36 fire res in Hell! That did not cause any troubles?

The Auradin was one of the last characters I played before my 'retirement' back in 1.13. I do have doe eyed dreams of owning another one some day, but that goal is likely a year, if not multiple years, away. I failed to maintain my D2 stashes post retirement, so outside of a suitable base for CtA I currently have ZERO of his gear, including but not limited to the truckload of HRs required.

If we are being completely honest with each other, it hurts me that you would put a troll nest on a Pally, but I suppose that is one of my own personal shortcomings and not a flaw in your character design lol :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: NorthDakota
Nice. All these RWs are ways off for me, but I am planning a Dual Dream Paladin on Hardcore, so it will take me at least another year to finish that project. Unless I get distracted by other thing again :D.

If we are being completely honest with each other, it hurts me that you would put a troll nest on a Pally, but I suppose that is one of my own personal shortcomings and not a flaw in your character design lol :ROFLMAO:

He is planning a sept so needs a non auric shield, maybe aesthetic reasons too.

Congrats!

Only 36 fire res in Hell! That did not cause any troubles?
Surprisingly it really wasn't a big problem, though it was my concern when I started Hell. The massive crowd control from freeze, blind and confuse helped a lot, but it is also why I think a Tesladin might be a better choice.

Reactions: SirName
The Auradin was one of the last characters I played before my 'retirement' back in 1.13. I do have doe eyed dreams of owning another one some day, but that goal is likely a year, if not multiple years, away. I failed to maintain my D2 stashes post retirement, so outside of a suitable base for CtA I currently have ZERO of his gear, including but not limited to the truckload of HRs required.

Since I want to do a Dream Sept, would be wasteful to put those runes in a pally shield. I totally butchered his look though, he's sporting a tiara as well!

Cool build!

I've been thinking lately about building a Holy Fire Zealot with dual 'Dragon' armor/shield, but I'm short a couple Lo runes. Hard to say when I will find those!

Cool build!

I've been thinking lately about building a Holy Fire Zealot with dual 'Dragon' armor/shield, but I'm short a couple Lo runes. Hard to say when I will find those!
I've really thought about variations for HFire, but with so many fire immunes in Hell it makes it a less attractive option than the Dreams. I have another build in mind, but need more runes to make that one so it is on the back burner until I get through some others.

Forgot to post the rest of my gear:

Venom Grip for CB
Goblin Toe for CB
SoE for leech
Perfect Mara's
Dual leech ring with a bit of resists
Ravenfrost for AR (bosses) and CBF
Lots of small resist charms, mainly resist all

I've really thought about variations for HFire, but with so many fire immunes in Hell it makes it a less attractive option than the Dreams. I have another build in mind, but need more runes to make that one so it is on the back burner until I get through some others.

Forgot to post the rest of my gear:

Venom Grip for CB
Goblin Toe for CB
SoE for leech
Perfect Mara's
Dual leech ring with a bit of resists
Ravenfrost for AR (bosses) and CBF
Lots of small resist charms, mainly resist all
Dual 'Dream' seems like a blast, but I have zero Jahs and two Surs so I like my chances of finding two Los to go with the Surs before I find any Jahs. You never know, though! :D I'd probably max Resist Fire and Salvation to synergize the Holy Fire granted by 'Dragon' armor/shield, and run a max Conviction as my main aura. Maxed Conviction with a modest amount of +skills gear ought to break through many (most?) fire immunities, I think.

I love the auradin. I have my own that I hop on and play all the time for CS runs just casually whenever, just for a good time. Really love how safe it is, super crowd control. Also the single target damage is absolutely bananas, like diablo on /p8 is flimsy. Great build to play on a controller, feels really nice charging around smashing the heck outta everything.

Anyways, would love to see more about how you built your guy? It looks like you're running fanaticism yourself. No conviction? What's your merc wearing? Just curious. Thanks for sharing!

I love the auradin. I have my own that I hop on and play all the time for CS runs just casually whenever, just for a good time. Really love how safe it is, super crowd control. Also the single target damage is absolutely bananas, like diablo on /p8 is flimsy. Great build to play on a controller, feels really nice charging around smashing the heck outta everything.

Anyways, would love to see more about how you built your guy? It looks like you're running fanaticism yourself. No conviction? What's your merc wearing? Just curious. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, I'm running fanaticism while my might merc has Infinity, Fort and VampGaze.

I think I regret putting the points into sacrifice instead of buffing salvation for the extra elemental damage. I don't know if I could buff him with skillers, as I need the room for resistance charms. I also think that Doom on the merc and running conviction myself would be better, but at this point I've used up a good chunk of my high runes to get this far. If I get another Cham rune, I already have a stupid plan for it and a kind of ridiculous build.

• Love
Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
Lovely build and write-up! One of my favorite builds back in the day used dual Dreams, so I’ve also been daydreaming (heh) of some builds using it in D2R. Too bad the dual Dream bear sorc is nerfed in D2R but maybe that means a Zealeress would be stronger.

Looking forward to see what you do with the other Dream builds!

Yes, I'm running fanaticism while my might merc has Infinity, Fort and VampGaze.

I think I regret putting the points into sacrifice instead of buffing salvation for the extra elemental damage. I don't know if I could buff him with skillers, as I need the room for resistance charms. I also think that Doom on the merc and running conviction myself would be better, but at this point I've used up a good chunk of my high runes to get this far. If I get another Cham rune, I already have a stupid plan for it and a kind of ridiculous build.

Nice. Making mine I always pumped conviction and ran that myself because I thought having big aura damage is cool. I never mathed out what the right path was as far as clear speed, I just always figured that the cool thing about auradin is the auras.

Reactions: Flan

Well couldn’t you just get a Holy Freeze merc? :) You would be rocking a higher level conviction but without fanta you would probably be at 5fpa zeal (vs 4fpa with).

Well couldn’t you just get a Holy Freeze merc? :) You would be rocking a higher level conviction but without fanta you would probably be at 5fpa zeal (vs 4fpa with).
Part of the conundrum on which way to go with the build. Since I went a the more physical route, the Might merc made sense for me though I seriously considered the HF. Since I can respec, I might play and see if I like the more aura oriented (auraiented?) build like ND runs.

Nice. Making mine I always pumped conviction and ran that myself because I thought having big aura damage is cool. I never mathed out what the right path was as far as clear speed, I just always figured that the cool thing about auradin is the auras.
I looked up your Pat thread, and very nice build. You had a few options not open to me, so understandable why you went a different direction as well.

• Love
Reactions: NorthDakota
I looked up your Pat thread, and very nice build. You had a few options not open to me, so understandable why you went a different direction as well.
The nice part about going big phys dam is that your leech is off the chain I'd reckon, whereas mine is sort of meh. Which means my sustain is a little meh at times as well, gotta drink some pots at times which is a little bit annoying if you want to fully zone out afk farm. Also you attacking way faster than me

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High