Patriarch Moonlightshadow - Dexglitched Wolfbarb

d2lover

Guide Author
Oct 8, 2019
I read on another forum about a method to get 3 fpa with Grief on a wolfbarb, all you need is a Phaseblade with 5 Shael and a Jool with x dex/ -15% reqs.

with all your endgame items equipped, you should only invest 136 points into dex with itemboni included.

So I tried it out and can say this concept is imo a little better than Furydruid, the wolfbarb has just better defensive stats, more life more defense, I like to try him out in PvP soon (meelee vs meelee).

Head: 3/6/6/6 Wolfhowl from @hackedagainanda
Weapons: Trash Grief Phaseblade from @TopHatCat64 and 5*Shael + dex/req jool Phaseblade, thanks to @D2DC for the jool
Gloves: 1.07 LoH
Armor: Fortitude AP
Boots: Gorerider
Belt: Nosferatu Coil (could be something else)
Amulet: Atmas Scarabeus
Rings: 20 dex Ravenfrost, random dualleecher

Switch: Dual Hoto

Mercanary: Might
1.07 Infinity
ebugged Stone
Wormskull

I don't know wether a high IAS grief is better, as I can't determine the attackspeed accurately without recording software, all I can say is, the 5 Shael+ Jool PB works.

Here is the Baal drop from him (didn't know the real questdrop has 7 picks, or just 6 and gold?)

Screenshot432.jpg

Nice! I might want to try this sometime..

I don't think Grief IAS matter. Given how weapon glitch works, only the base wsm matters.

About 3FPA. You WILL notice the difference even vs 4FPA. Sometimes you just don't want to go back to the latter.😅

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyr and d2lover
Interesting take on the build @d2lover , congratulations.

Can you explain the bugging process better? - I'm thinking this is the same as WSM bugging with claws on an Assassin.

For PvP you will need a bit of a rebuild or you will get slaughtered without block.

Reactions: d2lover
@maxicek i think it is different, as Grief is above the gloves
I think it's the same. In RCS, Grief will be above Gloves, but the IAS PB will be the right-handed weapon shown on character (it will stay this way despite weapon switching because you're using this to equip Grief).

I remember noticing this when playing a BK set Barb. Using the mythical sword to equip the CB, it will always be shown on the Barb's right hand.

Problem with the 2 PBs is that you can't differentiate visually. Plus once shifted, can't see weapons at all. BUT 3FPA vs 5FPA is quite noticeable imo.

I’ll clear some things up. First the animation is 3F but actual damage is 4F. It works best with 31-40 ias grief PB as 30ias you’re out of range. How the glitch works is that you have two PBs equipped. Grief on main hand and a 6 socket PB on off hand. 5 shaels plus a jewel that grants Dexterity and lower -requirements by 15%.

the idea is that you have enough Dex to equip 6os PB and the amount Dex grant by it allows you to equip Grief. So it tricks the game in that you have 6os equipped when you have Grief as main hand.

it grants the damage of Grief while using the speed of 6os PB. Grief Pb glove side and PB on boot side. You’ll know that it works when stuff starts dying fast as 6os PB doesn’t do much damage at all.

ps. This is different than WSM bug. All credit goes to Ironboar as he’s the author of this and no one else posted this info before.

Last edited:
I’ll clear some things up. First the animation is 3F but actual damage is 4F.

Is this tested? AFAIK based on onderduiker's post 3FPA is achievable only on successful attacks. Any miss, will revert to 4FPA.

Or maybe this mechanic works differently than a 4xShael Gris Caddy?

EDIT: Tried this out with a 34ias Grief and compared it to my Gris Caddy Wolfbarb. It doesn't feel like 3FPA (felt just a tad slower). Basically, in terms of speed, it's Gris Caddy > Dex-glitch Grief > Grief. Felt like there's 1 frame difference between them.

Last edited:
I have pmed the author to join us on here! I don’t want to copy and paste anything because he deserves the credit for it, and I don’t want to seem like I’m taking it.

In the meantime, what level is your wolf form? And are you using feral rage? One easy way to check if its working is you equip the shael PB by itself because it reaches fastest attack speed just like caddy (4xshael).

Last edited:
What’s not working? The speed or the damage? I’m playing mine right now. Fast speed, high damage.

if you do take a weapon off, I’d equip both weapons but you need to switch to secondary then back to primary weapons. This is a way of resetting the bug.

Last edited:
the idea is that you have enough Dex to equip 6os PB and the amount Dex grant by it allows you to equip Grief. So it tricks the game in that you have 6os equipped when you have Grief as main hand.

The jewel in the PB means that it is equipped first when you switch weapons. I'm sure you can get the same affect by using two PBs and lifting and replacing the one above the boots.

It is basically this:

It looks to me like it is the same as WSM bugging claws, but it needs further testing.

The jewel in the PB means that it is equipped first when you switch weapons. I'm sure you can get the same affect by using two PBs and lifting and replacing the one above the boots.

It is basically this:

It looks to me like it is the same as WSM bugging claws, but it needs further testing.
For some reason whenever I lift a weapon up, it doesn’t deal grief damage, just grants shael PB damage. If it was just WSM bug then you wouldn’t need to bug it at all by lower req/dex jewel. Only way to know is if we know the attack speed formula for feral rage.

Also, if it was by WSM. Death CB with shaeled PB would be faster than Grief PB with Shaeled PB.

Last edited:
Looks like a special combination of wsm bug + shapeshift mechanics. Maybe a side effect of shapeshifting being added in 1.07 and wolfhowl in 1.10...

The intended effect is to use the 6os swing speed but grief damage, right? Or am i missing something?

The jewel tricks the game into making the wsm bug persist even if you switch weapons, join a new game or die, but in my understanding the wsm bug mechanics should result in the game still recognizing the 6os sword as the primary weapon. However feral rage is using the damage of grief...so my guess is that the combination of wsm bug and shapeshifting results in either:
  • Shapeshifting while dual weilding messes with the game's ability to differentiate between 'primary' weapon and weapon equipped first, or
  • The speed of both weapons interact because blizz never intended for wolfs or bears to dual weild
I would be curious about the results of the following:
  • Same thing with bear form
  • Same thing without requiring the dex from jewel or -req
  • Same thing with dex from jewel but no shaels
  • Wsm bug with unsocketed pb

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High