Patriarch Boreas, an expensive Paladin

Dagaz

Dec 19, 2012
Hi all! ;) I didn't know we moved to a new forum, so I'm reposting this here
I didn't play much since winter, but I've always had in the back of my mind that I gotta finish this character and write a short report about him.
I’ve created Boreas last year but didn’t Pat him until today. He is by far the most expensive character I’ve ever made. It costed 1x Ist, 1 Ohm, 2 Lo, 1x Sur, 1x Ber and 2x Cham, as well as two perfect cold Rainbow Facets.

Here is the Baal LCS:
End.jpg

And here is the gear:

Helm: Nightwing's Veil with +15 cold skill damage with +5/-5 with cold Rainbow Facet, making it +20/-5
Armor: Chains of Honor in Wire Fleece
Weapon: Doom with -47 to cold resisrtance and 349 ED
Shield: upped Herald of Zakarum with +5/-5 cold Rainbow Facet
Gloves: Laying of Hands
Belt: String of Ears
Boots: Gore Rider
Amulet: Highlord’s Wrath
Ring 1: Raven Frost
Ring 2: Bul-Kathos
Switch: Demon Limb, Lidless Wall
Charms: 3x Combat, 3x Offensive, Gheeds and some resist small charms

Act 2 Merc:

Aura: Blessed Aim
Helm: Vampire Gaze
Armor: Lionheart in Kraken Shell
Weapon: Pride with level 18 Concentration aura

Was it worth the cost? Well … hardly. Mostly no. He’s more or less a standard Zealot with Fanaticism aura. I was experimenting with Conviction but the results were quite poor. The basic idea behind Boreas was to max out both physical and cold damage as much as possible without sacrificing one to the other - if that makes sense. The other idea behind this char is to put those Cham runes I was dreaming about for ages to some actual use. I got to admit: he’s strong, but not that strong. He had no real troubles clearing WSK for example, but it also wasn’t a breeze. Considering the cost of his gear, I'd expect more power. But he was fun to play and to build so yeah, I'm quite satisfied by this 'expensadin'.

Future plans: I don’t know … Perhaps running AT a bit, but other characters do the job way, way better.

Some gear hightlights:
Nightwings.jpg
Herald of Zakarum.jpgChains of Honor.jpg
Pride.jpg
Doom.jpg

Well, that's about it :)
Thanks for reading and looking

You mean the base? This CoH is the only item on him (and merc) that wasn't created just for him. It was passed down form my previous fana zealot I made around 2013 and was my first high-end runeword. I didn't even use (and know of) GoMule at the time

Thanx for the compliment ;)

Congrats! Expensive indeed..

Though the vamp gaze and lionheart sticks out like a sore thumb.. 😅

Anyway, I think CoH in Wire Fleece, or Great Hauberk for that matter, is OK... The extra durability (compared to Wyrmhide/DS) helps especially when melee..

Glad that you made it to the new forum :) Nice character! And nice Doom indeed. I am a big advocate for using runewords in builds, because what’s the point making them otherwise ;)

That said, having used Pride to use it, I’d have to say it’s the most over-priced RW for usefulness. Lack of ED makes the merc fragile, and concentration doesn’t make up for it. Destruction merc with conviction sounds fun . . . Hmm, build idea incoming!

Reactions: Dagaz
Yeah, Pride really isn't much, Concentration looks great in theory, but in reality I didn't see any real difference. Aura stacking is fun nontheless.
But it's ok, I'm proud to have made it. When I started playing again about 8 years ago I never would have thought I'll be making runewords such as this ;)

Edit: I still have 2 Chams left. I need to figure out a build to use Hand of Justice.

Reactions: PhineasB and J-Dog
Congrats on the pat!

Any special reason for HF over Dream or HoJ?

Any plans to improve him with other gear setups?

This char reminds me of my own, similar, project... Enigma as merc armor - fun times :D

It might end up being a bit repetitive of Boreas, but that Dragon armor goes nicely with HoJ and conviction.

Here’s a version I built with dual Dreams:

Reactions: Dagaz
@ Miron: No special reason. I'm just going for runeword grail, I had the opportunity to make Dragon, didn't have runes for Dream and I still dont know in what weapon I should make HoJ.

@ PhineasB: Wow, that's a stellar build! Love it! I'd really like to do some experiments with Dream(s) in the future, but those Jah's have always been super elusive for me.

I might experiment a bit more with his gear, but for right now I'm kind of tired of Zeal ;)

Reactions: PhineasB
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High