Patriarch Arstarius, Fanazealot Paladin

Crudesash

Feb 19, 2021
For my 2nd D2R realm solo project, I chose a Paladin. After having so much frustration playing Hit and Hide with the gloams on my Javazon, I wanted a character who could get up in their face and just mash. What I got was...a character who still had to Hit and Hide, because I couldn't do everything else just to laugh at gloams, especially considering I wasn't able to get my LR up to 95. All in all it was fun, but deaths were really annoying, and there were quite a few, about 8 or 9, all in Hell.

This was a solidly, if not heavily, twinked character, but I didn't have a lot of end game stuff which did slow the build down and gave me pause in certain areas, but in about 90% of the cases, any thing I could leech couldn't hurt me, and undead were a non factor, even archers who I thought would be the Achilles heel. I had a lot of trouble with the Succubi in Act 5, the Pit Vipers (I was literally one shot in the Crystalline Passage by a unique pack), and I was seemingly one shot on my first Ancients attempt, I was whaling away on Korlic and then Talic hit me and insta-death. But Blood Lords were a joke, even an extra strong cursed pack was not an issue...which is crazy.

Arstarius, Level 84

Helm: Tal's Helm (dropped off Shenk; I had been using a +2 Pal skills Circlet, but this really helped keep me alive)
MH/OH: Lawbringer Phase Blade (OP!)
+1 Pal skills Royal Shield, +51 AR; this was an upped Round? Shield, equipped at level 31 and used the rest of the way. I found a +2 Sacred Rondache later on but the res was way lower.
On Switch: Strength Scourge (came in very handy with Ancients and Baal), Rhyme Luna
Smoke Balrog Skin
Sigon's Gloves, Belt, & Boots, each upped once. Equipped around level 20 or so, and never found anything better, so they stayed.
+1 Pal skills Ammy, 2 rare rings with resists, leech, and MF

Defiance Merc, Rockstopper, Reaper's, Skin of the Flayed One. Really good survivability, the Succubi really hurt him as well.

Str: 155/165
Dex: 136/146
Vit: 209/209, 1030 Life
Erg: 0, 233 Mana

Skills: 20 on Zeal, Sac, Fana, 17 in HS, the rest in pre-reqs or utility.

Zeal Damage, 801-952
AR: 4328
Defense 9685, 69% Block chance
34% LL (I do not ever recall having this much on a character before)
118/143 MF, which I thought was okayish, but very few great drops, except for an incredible one that had nothing to do with MF.

Notable drops: Not many, the Tal's Mask, Bartuc's Cut Throat, and Sazabi's Ghost Liberator...but THE find was a Ber rune in a false tomb, Act 2, off a random skellie. If the drop calcs are correct, it was an 80,000 to 1 drop!

The future of this char is likely retirement. Tough to kill (most of the time) but still kind of slower than I'd hoped.

On to my next project. I have a UTSP HC Barb in A2 Normal, but I really want to try and get Pat/Mat with the three classes I have never done it with, Druid, Necro, and Assassin. I'd like to go straight offline since the ladder will be closing next month, and the lack of storage is already an issue after just 2 characters, but I havent found an easy way to transfer files between my PC and laptop, or at least as easy as I'd like it to be.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Congrats! Nice writeup. This is actually on the line with something which I toy aroud with every now and then: a character with none to low damage doing damage only by applying crushing blow fast. Only that you have no CB (on main switch). :D Quite the feat!

Did you have max damage charms? Also Smoke in a lower req armour would have easily freed ~50 str to put to vita. 150 more heath might have saved from a few deaths. Did you consider switchig to a damage dealing weapon after merc got Reapers?

Reactions: Crudesash
Congrats! Any idea on possible build with Necro/druid/Assassin?

Congrats! Nice writeup. This is actually on the line with something which I toy aroud with every now and then: a character with none to low damage doing damage only by applying crushing blow fast. Only that you have no CB (on main switch). :D Quite the feat!

Did you have max damage charms? Also Smoke in a lower req armour would have easily freed ~50 str to put to vita. 150 more heath might have saved from a few deaths. Did you consider switchig to a damage dealing weapon after merc got Reapers?
Thanks! No max damage charms, mostly resist/mf/life.

i didn't really plan the build out beyond the early twinking and then making the Lawbringer because I had a 3OS Phase Blade, and I thought it might need an upgrade in Hell, but the opportunity never came about. i used the Balrog Skin, for example, as I didn't have a better 2 OS option.

I should clarify, combat with this character was FAST. I don't think I reached the 4 fpa mark, but it was crazy fast anyway, with Fanaticism and the 30% IAS from Sigon's. I meant it was slow compared to say a Javazon, who clears screens in a shot or two, and thus not as effective as a farmer. If this was an offline character with a good Meph map, he would be insane for that, but being on realm really limits Meph runs.

Congrats! Any idea on possible build with Necro/druid/Assassin?
Thanks! I'm mulling it right now...Since I've really only had two characters to work with, I've not yet built up a good chunk of gear, and even though I'm playing it online, this is an SP thing for me, so no trades or MP games.

I have a Bartuc's which is a good jump off point for the Assassin, and I can make Treachery, but I don't know if I've ever completed Normal on a Sin! The more flexible key bindings in D2R make it a lot more appealing, so I might just start out with a Tiger Strike/Dragon Claw build for Normal and Nightmare.

I had an untwinked HC Wind Druid that reached Hell Act 1 with what I consider the worst gear of any character that ever dared walk into Hell difficulty, but that was before respecs were available and I was not as knowledgeable about the game or the class, and I would like to recreate that again.

Necros...similar to the druid, I had an untwinked Necro get to Hell Act V, but it was a boring build.

Whichever build I choose, I know I have that Reaper's in my back pocket for the merc...but I really enjoy the game more when i don't twink, which is a bit of a paradox because I also like to hoard gear XD.

I think we'll start with Druid. If for no other reason than Molten Boulder is a fun skill to use :)

Reactions: PhineasB and Miron
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High