Patch 2.5 PTR Announced - Terror Zones

I like the idea behind Sunder charms, the execution is absolutely horrific though.

I think the 1/5 penalty needs to apply to Conviction, Lower Resist, AND Cold Mastery (perhaps the penalty could be even higher for CM like 1/10), otherwise former immunes just get completely demolished since they will have very low resists (Infinity alone brings 95% resists down to 10%, then you've got -ER% items like Griffon and facets, etc.). That way they won't steamroll over Sundered monsters like they currently do, you'll need -ER% items to efficiently kill them just like you currently do for broken immunes.

The physical Sunder charm is also pretty bad, physical immunes tend to be pretty sparce and are often better dealt with in other ways (Berserk, Vengeance, Sanctuary, etc.) and it has a whopping -25% physical resistance on it. Permanent 1/4 Amp Damage (that also stacks with actual Amp) anyone? :LOL:

The magic Sunder charm is also rather poor because there's no way to reduce that 95% magic resistance, but it's fine I guess since hammerdins don't need further buffs. I'd actually like if Lower Resist reduced magic resistance like it did in old versions of D2, that would buff bone necros in PvM (and Berserk barbs too if they use a LR wand) while allowing a work around for PvPers. They'd just need to make hammers only take the monsters base magic resistance into account so that they don't get buffed too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
i thought they were trying to make it harder for hammerdins? this is the opposite. This does not address any of the issues they identified in the previous update. Yes, it gets easier for other chars now, but the most efficient way is still to use a hammerdin to faceroll the content until you find either infinity or a sunder charm for the other classes, on bnet at least.
Before it needed a large investment to break immunities. Now they are just introducing more and more ways to break them. Look, i think even infinity is something that should probably not exist, ideally.

Sunder charms also makes the game even easier at "end-game". Blizz sorcs will almost max out the minus res on monsters now, without needing Infinity?

Also weird that the charms can only drop from terror monsters. So you have to farm NM terror zones for the charm you want to do Hell terror zones, to break the immunities?

I kind of like the idea of these charms, but I really thought there were more pressing issues to balance:
  • Hammerdins
  • CM mastery is busted
  • AR calculation for melee
  • Teleport
  • Overpowered RWs
I get that nerfs are unpopular, but we know what happens if you try to buff your way out of imbalances.
Within a year they are gonna announce a 4th difficulty or Act 6, because Hammerdins and Blizzsorcs are just facerolling everything on p8 and complain that game is too easy. We already experienced this in D3, first it was 3 difficulties, then four and then they introduced torment levels and expanded those again, all because they refused to nerf or even crunch the numbers down. This will happen in D2R if they don't get real and do some unpopular changes to overpowered skills, items and mechanics.

Hammerdins are overpowered by a factor of 5. You could easily remove the Concentration buff from hammers and it would still be enough damage with high end gear to do content on higher player settings. The concentration buff was a bug in the first place and it should have stayed fixed back when they introduced LoD, but players complained and it was made permanent. There are ways to adjust blessed hammers to put it in line with the rest of the chars. Make it so hammers only hit 5 enemies or are dependent on pierce gear. Or turn hammer damage physical (maybe 50/50 magic/phys)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it’s horrible. The whole patch shows a real disconnect of devs to the game. First basically allowing 99 to be reached in 5 minutes and now Infinity replaced by a charm (resist penalties are a joke). What.

I don’t get their approach in the first place. Why make a game that is already very easy even easier.

If they feel compelled to make new garbage content and screw around, they should at least include something harder, new challenges, rather than making things easier.

I'm a bit concerned about the new charms as well, but there's no need on single-player to keep up with others, like on bnet, so if you find a charm like that, you can put it into a stash for the grail.

Besides, we don't know about the rarity of the charm yet. For example, if 9 out of 10 are Gheed's and it's qlvl is higher than 88 (so only Diablo/Nihlathak/Baal can drop it), it would be about as rare as a set of Infinity runes.

I got us SPF. Rush and I pushed an article, basically saying this game is going to be D3 soon and notied the disconnect between the developers and players.
If you look other places. I see the majority of players being happy about the charms/changes. at least from what i've seen on reddit and youtube (llama and ginger gaming mentors video on the changes).
there is concern, but most dont like immunities in the first place and are very opposed to any nerfs, even to patently OP aspects of the game. This is almost exactly what i remember form the early seasons of RoS. No nerfs, numbers only can go up, i have to clear higher grifts with each season, otherwise i feel bad, give me smarter loot (only class specific drops), etc.

next theyll introduce splash melee damage.

Llama, honestly had his chance to set it straight since he played oddball stuff. Fortunately for him he got offered some dough to sort of thread the needle on Blizzard's side. I get it. Life upgrade and am truly happy for him. At the same time, he is now part of the system and problem.
All this does for me is show that Blizzard really wants to re-release D3 and get it right. This game inching closer to that is a problem in my eyes. But hey as I stated in my article it isn't like it really matters, they will get my money, I'll have fun for a bit and then be right back here running a random tournament.

@lizard Melee splash damage, might as well to keep up with elemental damage at this point.

I see it now as D2: Reforged. I’m not giving Blizzard any money for D4. Gonna beat the game on my one character and switch back to LOD when they introduce these to Single Player.

There are a lot of things I would prefer for D2, but I guess I am maybe missing how this will affect us in SP. I thought the plan was you could enable the terror zones or decide not to. If that's the case it seems like we could just pass on this, or as others have said don't use the charms.

Sounds like the dev team is talking about making Sunder charms work with minions.

Thanks for the heads up! Pez can you comment on if the dev team is discussing minions/traps etc in regards to the new sunder charms? If the team is looking at making these charms work with traps would that also mean facets and other -res gear work too? thanks!
Yes - Team is and we will have final notes up with 2.5 launch.

If -res% and +damage% are also made to work with traps that'd be a pretty huge win for trapsins, lots of ramifications for both PvM and PvP.

Reactions: snickersnack
There are a lot of things I would prefer for D2, but I guess I am maybe missing how this will affect us in SP. I thought the plan was you could enable the terror zones or decide not to. If that's the case it seems like we could just pass on this, or as others have said don't use the charms.

It sounds like, at least as of now, the Sunder charms will only drop from monsters killed in Terror Zones, so since Terror Zones won't be available for SP (again, at least for now), we won't be seeing them for the time being, anyway.

I do agree with the general thumbs down toward them, though. The accompanying resistance penalty, while a good notion in theory, is too easily countered. Now if they had DOUBLED the resistance penalty (to -150%), to me THAT would have been something to think about.

Reactions: Triple Helix
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High