Patch 2.5 PTR Announced - Terror Zones

NorthDakota

Aug 10, 2012
Blizzard just announced patch 2.5 PTR. EDIT: Terror Zones are unfortunately online only for now. Whether that means online only for just the PTR or until the live patch drops, it's unclear. :(You can read the patch notes here: https://www.purediablo.com/diablo-2-resurrected-patch-2-5-ptr-is-live/

TERROR ZONES​

The journey to level 99 is a celebrated experience for players and quite the milestone if achieved—a rite of passage, even. We want to offer an alternative to repeatedly farming Baal, Diablo, or Nihlathak. We also want the journey to level 99 to be accessible to a larger population of players, full of variety, and most importantly, challenging—this is where Terror Zones come in. As we get into details, please note that players can choose to opt-out of Terror Zones if desired.

When playing a Terror Zone-enabled game, every hour, the armies of the Burning Hells will focus their demonic might on specific zones, terrorizing them. The monsters in these zones will be at least two levels higher than your current level or their original level, up to a maximum per difficulty. The experience received and the loot dropped by killing a terrorized monster will be based on this new level. In addition, terrorized monsters will also grant additional experience points.

Here are the level details for each monster type per difficulty:

Normal

• Base: +2 levels up to level 45
  • Champion: +4 levels up to level 47
  • Unique: +5 levels up to level 48
Nightmare

• Base: +2 levels up to level 71
  • Champion: +4 levels up to level 73
  • Unique: +5 levels up to level 74
Hell

• Base: +2 levels up to level 96
  • Champion: +4 levels up to level 98
  • Unique: +5 levels up to level 99
The base player level used for the above calculations are taken from the creator of the game. If the host leaves the game, a new player will be selected for the base.

Upon entering a Terror Zone-enabled game, you'll be informed of the current terrorized areas through a message sent to you via the Chat Box. When the time for new terrorized zones draws near, you will be informed of the impending changes via the Chat Box.

There are various other bug fixes and small changes mentioned in the notes but the Terror zones are the big thing. Huge implications for MFing and leveling that will be very exciting to figure out I'm sure. Looks like it will be much easier to level up, right? Monsters at level 96/98/99 is a fairly huge change. Since before the highest regular monsters were 85 and champs/uniques in those areas were 87/88 and you're always essentially gaining 5% of the exp a monster actually gives. So in those terrorized zones you'll be gaining 100% of the exp. I'm curious if this isn't too big of a change and if getting 99 will be trivial now. The online ladder race to 99 will certainly be a lot shorter.

I'm also curious how this will function on single player if you're not connected to the internet. Will the zones be chosen based off the time or what? And if so, would changing your computer's clock allow you to choose whichever zone you'd like to be terrorized? I don't understand how it'll work.

PTR is live now but I'm out of town all weekend long :mad: Some folks are saying it's online only, someone should download the PTR and check it out and let us know. It'd be a pretty huge letdown if it were online only imo.

Edit:

@PezRadar
23m

atm it is only MP

SAD

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
Very informative! It seems like so far they've been implementing the once MP-only stuff in single-player (Ubers, dclone, etc.), so it seems like a good chance that this will migrate into single-player in the future.

Reactions: snickersnack
And of course still no loot filter.
SAD. I was hoping it would be a loot filter honestly, however I don't think that it is such a huge feature for everyone, it's sort of best in single player and unnecessary in MP for the most part. I was really hoping for some endgame content and this would have been enough for me to come back and grind out my characters to 99 for sure since I imagine it will be extremely easy compared to before. But of course it's not coming to SP, at least not yet, which is a massive let down.

Honestly terror zones sound kinda lame anyways. Maybe I'm coping but it's just an ultra easy way to grind up to 99 and more variety getting TC87s, but the same old areas we've had our whole entire lives. Dynamic poe-style mapping system is too much to ask but that would have been lit.

My question is if they fixed the chance to cast valk on striking for peace armor. Could open up a tank for a lot of classes when that hits.

SAD. I was hoping it would be a loot filter honestly, however I don't think that it is such a huge feature for everyone, it's sort of best in single player and unnecessary in MP for the most part. I was really hoping for some endgame content and this would have been enough for me to come back and grind out my characters to 99 for sure since I imagine it will be extremely easy compared to before. But of course it's not coming to SP, at least not yet, which is a massive let down.
Loot Filter is something so common nowadays though that it seems so weird that they haven't done anything.
In any case, they could start by adding a shortcut that simply doesn't show the white items on the ground. For me, that would already be enough.

I was also hoping for more endgame content. Was expecting a new event like the Ubers or maybe two-three new areas...

> Fixed an issue where players and monsters were able to walk through doors that visually looked closed.

This is a little thing that has been irritating me for a long time now... thanks!

Weirdly, I was posting on reddit just talking to others about the new patch and @PezRadar replied right to me about single player.

Correct. Just MP only. We may add it to SP in the future but right now we want to nail down numbers in MP as MP numbers =/= SP and isn't just a copy pasta like people suggest. We have more ability of tweaking MP on the fly as well while SP is a bit more baked in.

I asked if the future was referring to 2.5 launch or maybe more long term for a general idea of how things are going but I didn't get another reply.

Correct. Just MP only. We may add it to SP in the future but right now we want to nail down numbers in MP as MP numbers =/= SP and isn't just a copy pasta like people suggest. We have more ability of tweaking MP on the fly as well while SP is a bit more baked in.

But yes, we do hear people wanting it in SP -- We will try to get there.

Sounds like they want to get it to single player once they've gotten the info they wanted from the PTR. :)

EDIT: Errrr, just saw that ND posted that right above me. :LOL: Shoulda read all the replies up to now haha.

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
Fixed a rare issue where item names on the ground would erratically flicker and shift while pathing around them.

Well, will you look at that. I'm getting what I wanted :) .

Concerning Terror Zones, my knee jerk reaction is ... that seems like a bit much of a change to suit me. If they keep it on Bnet only, that wouldn't make me very sad. If they do bring it to SP, I guess I could get used to the idea ... and would have to ... because I'd have no choice but to update within 30 days of the launch ... But yeah, I think I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that they decide it's too much work to bring to SP.

My current D2 goals are all about UT99 and completing my career grail (now at -2 with only Tyrael's and Astreon's outstanding). I feel like Terror Zones would add rather large asterisks to either of those accomplishments ... like, would hitting clvl 99 even be an accomplishment? It doesn't seem like it ... And that makes me sad :( .

Fixed a rare issue where item names on the ground would erratically flicker and shift while pathing around them.

Concerning Terror Zones, my knee jerk reaction is ... that seems like a bit much of a change to suit me. If they keep it on Bnet only, that wouldn't make me very sad. If they do bring it to SP, I guess I could get used to the idea ... and would have to ... because I'd have no choice but to update within 30 days of the launch ... But yeah, I think I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that they decide it's too much work to bring to SP.

My current D2 goals are all about UT99 and completing my career grail (now at -2 with only Tyrael's and Astreon's outstanding). I feel like Terror Zones would add rather large asterisks to either of those accomplishments ... like, would hitting clvl 99 even be an accomplishment? It doesn't seem like it ... And that makes me sad :( .
I'm glad they fixed the flickering as well, slight annoyance whenever I saw it happening.

As for the Terror Zones, they are a toggleable option on Bnet so I'm sure they would also be toggleable in single player. You can choose between the faster leveling method or the original method. :)

Quite similar to my reaction as well.
I'd go even as far to say I'm actually considering going back to 1.14d, if these changes seem too much for my likings.

• Wow
Reactions: coju
As we get into details, please note that players can choose to opt-out of Terror Zones if desired.

It seems like they have at least considered this reaction a bit. I wonder what it means by opt-out, though. Will there be a checkbox on game creation in multiplayer?

For single player, as currently implemented, it seems like we can self opt out. Just don't run the area that's currently "terrified".

i think they may have to adjust this to make it good. either increase density or add modifiers to terrorized monsters. I also read that melee characters may run into AR problems, but we will have to wait and see what it looks like on PTR. Will not be surprised if they lower the cap as well from 99 to 95 (except bosses).

Like the idea of terror zones in general and hope it makes its way into SP.

From the video above, all I see is something extra on the nameplates and thats about it. From what that guy showed us the xp he was getting was between meh/okayish, but will it beat a good Baal map in speed? kinda doubt it. They realy gotta make the xp stand out if they want this to be exiting.

Still a question if we get it in SP thoo.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High