OT: The Daily Thread

RL: I returned to work last week. This week I have five shifts. Despite doing the job for so long the distancing changes are taking some getting used to. And the back pain has returned ofc. My birthday last week was really nice. I was dreading it with everything going on, but friends and family made it one of the best ones in years.

D2: Currently at Grail -29 after Baal running to get the LiteSorc to L97. Haven't played in a few days.

OVG: Revisited Rocket League for their fifth-anniversary event and kinda got sucked back into it. Other than that, I've been keeping on with recent roguelike acquisition Caves of Qud. My latest build is an axe-wielding mutant with two-hearts and a carapace, who can shoot freeze rays, and is currently wearing the dismembered face of a cave spider as a mask.

Reactions: Trim
RL: nope.

D2: not really

OVG: my switch malfunctioned at end of last week, so getting a new one and having the old one fixed. Go Fest wasn’t terrible. Looking forward to dragon week this Friday.

RL: Work. Had sushi for dinner and discussed caterers for our upcoming wedding.
D2: Just things I've posted here on the forum.
OVG: Do mobile games count? Been digging AFK Arena for a while now. Good solid fun.

RL: It's disease-riddled Texas, so still working data entry from home. 'Twas a milestone work day -- after months of delays due to covid stuff, the company said "eff it" and finally opened up all our team's lines of business today. Daily workload jumped up anywhere between 4-6x where it used to be. For all of the last five months, we went from having practically nothing to do and contantly helping out a sister team just to have something to validate us getting paid, then overnight it was an immediate transition into a constant backlog and mostly unplanned overtime. I just finished a 5:30am - 7pm shift. And we didn't even complete our work. Our staff of about 20 isn't enough to handle it all, and the staff we DO have are mostly incompetent and don't produce as much as expected (except me, ofc, because I rock). But good news, everyone! We're getting new people in training next week! ...Two people. Sigh. On one hand, I could really use the overtime to get some much needed cash. On the other, I'm not looking forward to 55-60 hour weeks for an indeterminable amount of time. Have to see how this all pans out. And thank goodness I'm fully stocked on ibuprofen. My hands are a'throbbin'.

D2: Not a lot a lot since the last post. A handful of MP sessions with John Remedy, lowered my grail down to something like -87, but nothing really build changing or exciting to use. Can't focus enough to do solo MF runs. Not a great lead in to the upcoming MFO, but I've already resigned myself to be a bottom-tier finisher. I'll see if I can stomach 2 hours a day during that stretch and just hope to get incredibly lucky in order to get a podium placement.

OVG: Again with John Remedy, a bit of Rocket League. Rediscovered the enjoyment we used to have with it after a relatively long hiatus between semi-serious sessions, so that's always nice. That's one of those games where it feels incredible to play well. ...Or at least as well as our skill plateaus are at. Despite the reasoning I described in my previous update, I installed and restarted Mass Effect: Andromeda last week. I forgot how deep I got into it the first time around before abandoning it, so I'm gonna try to give it enough attention to finish it off once and for all. Also been "playing" Soda Dungeon 2, meaning I set up a team of adventurers every 2-5 hours and let them do their thing while I work / eat / lounge / sleep. Made big strides in the last 36 hours toward beating dungeon lvl 10k for what's most likely the hardest / grindiest achievement in the game currently, and at this rate I see myself easily 100%'ing it in less than two weeks. No back up idle games to run after this is done, so either I'm going to have to go on a serious hunt for a new one or just settle with letting SD2 go ad infinitum even though I'd have no reason to progress any more. I'm hoping for the former.

Been an interesting few days.
D2: Not Enough

OVG: What's this?
just kidding, kind of. I don't really plan any other PC or console games but I'll play Bike Race on my phone a few times a week. I've been working for years (like 5+) to get all the tournament bikes (earn them of course, not buy) and I'm one part away in several different ways BUT my phone is starting to act up (i.e. die) so its crunch time, sort of. They only have 1 race every 6 hours for 24 hours on the weekend and even then maybe 1 in 3 weekends is it for a chance at a part I need. So it really doesn't take up much time.

RL: Pretty stoked right now. Just finished implementing the last piece of a Neural Network for an artificial intelligent programming class I'm taking online. I think I got it working better this time around than I did back in grad school.

Also ran a half marathon on Saturday. Did a new personal best by almost a minute (really would have like to knock 2 minutes off). It was pretty cool to race again, as long as I don't think too much about it. I mean everyone started separately and you could only show up a few minutes before you were going to run, and as soon as you finished they handed you a snack back and then you had to leave. Oh, and aid stations (water) were iffy so carry your own water. Yeah, when I think about it too carefully, I begin to wonder just what exactly I spent that money on.

Reactions: Luhkoh
RL: Work, work some more, try to sleep through the heat, work again. The recently increased workload is keeping my understaffed team and me very busy. Just finished my work week, clocking in a total of 54 hours. Next week I'm already preemptively scheduled for 52, and based on how things have gone the last two weeks I can only assume they'll ask me to stay even later on a couple days. I'm even working on a day off. It'd be great if I could use the extra cash on something fun or exciting, but it's all earmarked for general survival. Phooey.

D2: The usual trend is to say one or two MP sessions per week wit' my boi @John Remedy, which is still true. For some reason, though, it feels like I've put less time in since the last Daily update. That's also a ridiculous statement because it's flat untrue. JR has been able to nab quite the collection of runes in the last few months during his solo play, only to top it off a week ago with what's been called a rage Jah when he misclicked to an A4 waypoint location while running LK and used Telekinesis out of frustration on a nearby poppable. I became what I describe as healthily jealous of his wealth, so I did a few hours of solo LK running of my own. And whaddaya know, got myself a Sur a couple days ago. Like JR's been saying these last few months, you can't get items if you don't play! [That's never said in a pompous or arrogant tone, btw.] Looking forward to the MFO at the end of the month.

OVG: Still working through Mass Effect: Andromeda when I have the time and energy, which is less often than I'd like. It doesn't feel as though it's wrapping up anytime soon, and my initial enthusiasm to complete it is slowly turning into a stubborn declaration that I must power through and not let it fall to the wayside for a second time. This is unfortunate for three reasons. 1) I don't particularly enjoy the feeling when I end up forcing myself to play through a game. 2) If I don't finish it before the MFO starts, it truly will be back-burnered for a full week and will be all the harder to go back to. 3) I just saw yesterday that Phantasy Star Online 2, a game released in 2012 in Japan only (technically), has finally been launched on Steam to western audiences, something that gets me SUPER hyped. I guess it was launched on the US Microsoft store in May of this year, but I missed that news. Regardless, I'm dying to start playing it. Loved the original PSO back in the day, and I did get my feet wet in the Japanese PSO2 servers back around 2013 after stumbling through the process of creating a JP Sega account. But my internet connection wasn't great back then and the language barrier was posing many issues, so I had to let it go pretty quickly. But it's here now with a full English translation after all these years, and I can't wait to dive in! ...Can't do it, though, not with ME:A still looming over my head. I HAVE to finish this game. Gonna try and make as much headway as I can in ME:A tomorrow as it's the last day off I'll have for the next full week... :coffee:

RL: Passed rough electrical inspection today, inspector asked the electrician if we were living here, which he replied I think he sleeps in the tent sometimes when he is working late. Local crap is unbelievable. My barn is perfectly livable, just doesn't meet 2020 codes 100% yet (like 75%+)

D2: Some more Mephisto runs I think for a few.

OVG: Maybe a few games of hearthstone.

RL: Work work work. They're now scheduling me for a predictable 53 hour week, but they're considering asking me to start doing Sunday shifts, which is the only full day off I have currently. As it's all data entry, my hands and wrists feel like they're filled with shattered glass. But they love the output I'm able to produce, and therefore they love me. If only that love resulted in a raise...

D2: ...Little / none, I think. A confluence of events has pushed it out of rotation. Just means I'm mentally fresh for when the MFO starts. Gotta roll up a new AT map before then.

OVG: Work's killing my already twisted sense of normality I once knew, and I've recently bailed on my bro John Remedy twice for what had been regularly scheduled MP sessions. When I do have the energy to make an appearance, we've gone back to Rocket League. Powerhouse players we are not, but we've been getting in some strong wins in the last couple go-rounds so it's been pretty darn fun. As for my solo excursions, I finally finished Mass Effect: Andromeda today. Not a bad experience overall, and I can overlook some of the flaws that were flung at it during its release. Definitely has a lot of problems, though, and by the end it really was work to get through it all. If I were a games journalist back in early 2017, I probably would have written some scathing words of my own. But it's done in plenty of time for the MFO, and it opens the door to what I hope will be a glorious Phantasy Star Online 2 experience. Probably gonna take the rest of the night off and start that up tomorrow evening. Can't wait!

RL: Now that I'm back to consistently working a 40+ hour week of night shifts I have been reminded of my two friends Back Pain and No Free Time. Quietly got offered a promotion to Line Manager. With the size of the company it's a helluva lot of online courses and paperwork for what will probably be a 10p/hr pay rise. Plus it'll mean I do much less training on the shop floor, which is probably my favourite part of the job, second only to cleaning up after lazy teenagers on their phones. What free time I have had has been spent catching up on Japanese pro-wrestling.

D2: Same as Trim above, hasn't really crossed my mind.

OVG: I've fallen into the pattern of firing up Rocket League after a gruelling night shift to try and get the energy out of my system. It's just nice to have a blast after a long day, even if success doesn't always come with enjoyment. A work colleague is in the process of releasing a twin-stick shooter on Steam, and I said I'd beta-test it for him. Most of my game time has been devoted to roguelike Caves of Qud. I turned off permadeath to try and explore the game world as a melee tank, but still got decapitated by a fish. I'm currently playing a psychic mutant-build with eye lasers, Dominate Person, and forcefields, but even at clvl10 the Interstellar Psychic Assassins have already noticed my presence and are out to absorb my powers Highlander-style.

RL: one more week of leave left, September 1st I will start my new job. Moving this week, packing up 10 years of marriage. Sad, relieving, exhausting...

D2: mentally preparing for MFO. I have a lvl 85 matriarch orb-it-aller. Should I respec to blizzard? Never played these timed skills but I hear they are awsome...

RL: Doing okay at not losing my mind. Small vacation last weekend was nice but it's back to "normal" which is a complete dumpster fire with the whole pandemic situation. I keep telling myself that I'm lucky since I have it better than some people, but then that doesn't help because good lord so many people are just... required to be out in all of this because they're considered expendabl essential workers. I work with social services, as well, so I frequently get to hear horror stories of the crap people are having to go through and then spend hours getting on the phone to get their SNAP benefits certified because something got screwed up for one reason or another.

EDIT: Apparently hit a button.

D2: Been playing slowly and doing some runs when I can. Still no Jah. One day.

OVG: Just mobile games for me. AFK Arena is for sure the big one I stick to. I recommend for anyone looking for an "idle" game that very much has a good level of fun to it as Free to Play, and you're not constantly and horrendously overwhelmed by people who dump money into it.

RL: Weekend now. Start of the week there was supposed to be the first time playing sports since this whole Corona thing started. But Monday morning at work we got told there was a possible case of Corona with a colleague. Probably nothing, but you never know. So i thought i'd better stay home. Probably wouldn't have been appreciated if i showed up, especially if in hindsight it would be Corona. But Tuesday we heard it was nothing, so everything went back to normal. Or what goes for normal these days anyway.

OVG: More grind in Neverwinter. Much, much more. Still liking it. Guild is mixed feelings. The guild itself is going pretty decent. Upgrading guild hall another lvl should be done on Sunday. But i haven't seen our guild leader in way too long. Send him an ingame email some weeks ago just in case he played at times i wasn't on. But he didn't respond to that either, so i'm guessing he hasn't been on in weeks. And that's not a good thing. So i hope he'll be back soon. Or at the very least briefly, because i wanna adress this. Maybe i'll ask him to make me guild leader, or else i need a way to contact him outside the guild or something. Because if anything happens people will look at me (as most consider me to be the guild leader) and i don't have the corresponding permissions. I can do everyday stuff, but not everything that's needed for running a guild. If any trouble stirr up now that could easily mean the end of the guild. So that's kinda troubling especially given how much effort i've already put into it.

RL: Did sports in the past week. For the first time in forever. Knew my physical shape was not good beforehand. Turns out it was way worse then i expected. It'll probably take quite a bit of time to get my general fitness back to what it should be. Cleaned the bbq today and put it away. Doubtfull there'd be any days good enough to use it this late in the season. Didn't use it very much this year. Unlike a couple of the previous years.

OVG: More Neverwinter. Guild master still nowhere to be seen. Guild hall has been upgraded by one lvl so that's nice.

RL: Work sucks. Watching pro-wrestling with a friend on the weekends is keeping me going.

D2: MFO with the LiteSorc. Grail -23. One death @ L97.4

OVG: I'm looking forward to picking up Caves of Qud again after the tournament.

@John Remedy ouch... Deeds at level 97 hurt...

RL: Went to a very dear friend's wedding yesterday, but only for the ceremony outside while wearing a mask. So sorry that this is such a bad time for weddings...
Going to my niece's birthday party today. She turned 3 some days ago. Looking forward to seeing my brother again. Also, fighting off my 8 yo attempts to convince me to play some more pen&paper RPG today with her and her friends. Although I am happy she likes it, I still need some time for myself now and then...

D2: will continue my Random Amazon. Cleared Hell Claw Viper Temple yesterday. She is mostly cheering on her Valkyrie and merc, but hey, they get the job done!

OVG: maybe 1 or 2 games of MTGA.

I let this thread go for a little bit on accident, so was nice to catch up on what everyone is up to.

RL: Busy with work. but it's mostly in prep to take next week off, which will be great. Trying to get some house projects done with my wife, but the residential construction industry is insane here since covid for some reason and everything costs double what it would have last winter.

D2: Trying to play less to purge a bit after a big MFO grind. But am still playing a little cow javazon and/or AT fire sorc this week.

OVG: continuing my first hollow knight playthrough. A bit stuck lately, but a great game so far.

RL: Overtime at work slowed down some this week, so my sanity and the feeling in my hands is slowly returning. There's news that some of us are on the verge of getting hired on by the company to become full time employees (it's a newer team and we were all brought on initially through temp / contract agencies). However, I got a text this morning from a former director in my old line of work, and she's in the process of hiring supervisors for a new project in a field where I'd worked my way up to an operations director myself. It'd be more work and more stress, but it's a better paycheck than what I'd be offered as a FTE at my current job. No guarantee I'd get the position, but I don't think I can come up with a legit reason not to apply for it. Still scary.

Also, working from home for months has finally taken a notable toll. Went out to do a food shop and my car battery no longer has a charge. Just ordered a portable jumper that should be arriving tomorrow, so we'll see if the battery can be salvaged. Not in a position to be "wasting" money, so I hope this thing works. In the meantime, I gotta figure out how I'm going to eat over the next couple days 'cuz the cupboards are very bare. Delivery charges equals more wasted money. Grr.

D2: Untouched since the MFO. No real surprise there -- the last time I played 46 hours of D2 over 10 days was probably back in 2006, so I need a bit of a break.

OVG: Nothing substantial, even now that the MFO's over. Haven't thought about it much now that I have the time, either. Phantasy Star Online 2 didn't grab me the way I wanted it to in the week or so before D2 took over all my free time, but I'll probably jump back in at some point over the weekend and try to pick up where I left off. Also started up a new low input game on Steam called Idle Expanse. Direct teams of mercs to planets and have them kill stuff & collect money to buy upgrades to go to harder planets, yadda yadda. It's a glorified FarmVille as it's replete with timers that gate progress, but they're much more friendly as the longest one I've hit was only fifteen minutes. Finished my first loop of the game last night, and while it has some problems it still has some entertainment value. I usually have an idle game on the go and no other ones are pending my attention, so I'll keep this one running for a while and see how it shapes up.

Hey guys, I guess there's a rolling daily thread or something according to the sticky but I haven't seen it.

The long and short of it is, I want to know what my favorite netizens are up to today. What you been doing in d2, have you been playing other video games, and how's your real life today?

D2:

I been playing my hammerdin - oh guess how embarrassing this is. I loaded up my hammerdin after not playing him for years. I found that arachs a few days ago and so now I can have an arachs permanently on him instead of swapping it, so I was all let's do some chaos runs. I basically got nothing in 1.5 levels as far as drops. I did find a lightning skills sorc gc so that's neat, and some 39% chancies. But the embarrassing part is I was playing him and I felt so squishy and I was like wtf. so anyways I check out my guy in depth (looked at my character screen) and realized when I made him I didn't go for max block. That was after like 50 cs runs. Pain. Anyways. I died once at 93 which is not a huge deal. But I respecced for max block and I gained a level and a half! so I'm like 94.5 on this guy now I've been running CS a ton, more than I ever have before honestly. I never run CS because it's like super legit hard. If you haven't run it hundreds of times it's so hard. harder than baal runs imo it's like the hardest area in the game by far. Although after all that running it's now really easy for me I've definitely got a lot better. Barely any good drops though.

I've also been playing my auradin Magus. I swapped out my dragon armor (with deep sadness) for enigma. There's just no substitute if you're farming. Runs so much faster. I've been doing some pits with him running enigma/grief instead of my dragon/sickass hand of justice caduceous. The main issue is repairing that Hand of Justice needs to happen every 3 or 4 runs or so, and it costs billions of gold. So I've been burning my ort runes. The thing I find so interesting about the full auradin vs the grief tesladin is that they do comparable damage feel-wise. Like the auradin has better aoe generally but if you're focusing down bosspacks then you want grief. However I would definitely be running my full auradin setup if my caduceous didn't need repairing every 3rd run for 500,000 gold or an ort rune. He's up to 90 now, having lots of fun. I also been farming andy with him for fun every 3rd run or so, for essences and jewelry. I've found some good stuff, like 40 unique rings (no soj tho :( ) and of course essences for respec. Tons of MF gear like nagels and some good high rolled chancies and stuff.

OVG:

When I play d2 I don't play other video games. I really want to play some Super mario 3d allstars, but my wife's been hogging the switch so I'm just grinding levels. She's been playing Sunshine and she gets so ridiculously mad at all times. She's not really a video game player although sometimes she'll put her head to it. Has no tolerance for dying or falling down or failure of any sort so she's constantly mad because she's bad. She's progressing slowly though.

RL:

Work work. within the last 2 years I started dating my current wife, we moved to a new town 1 year ago, both got new jobs, bought a house 6 months ago, got married a month ago. I'm full in the swing of my new job and doing very well. Pretty excited to be progressing and fitting in at my new job so quickly since I worked at my last job for 11 years or so (basically right out of college) and it took me a while to get good at that. I'm kickin ass though it's going very well and I'm very happy with it. My wife is similarly kicking a ton of ass at her new job. House is a lot of work. Anyways, always looking forward to getting home and checking the forums.

Have a great sunday yall and a good week, hope it goes by fast for yall and we can meet again Next Sunday :)

Reactions: PhineasB and Luhkoh
RL: my son started to sleep well again, we are gaining hours of life back! At work it's just another daily tasking day, doing some stuff to help to make things right...Well, I won't say I'm a passionate, but it gives enough for my needs without much efforts.

D2: currently having a blast with Blackstar, my Wrath bowie. Maybe it's not as efficient as some may like, but still crushing Hell on /p7 so...it feels good, I had some doubts after end of normal/first Nightmare acts discovering Immolation arrow/Kuko Shakaku combo - so powerful at that stage..! Anyway things will start to be interesting, will start Act 4 next ;-)

OVG: Some poker (GOP3) on phone. Well...it's not like I'm progressing, I don't feel like investing time to work more on the mechanics, I do prefer D2, so it's more like a farming game.

D4: still hoping not to be disappointed. How I could explain anyone D2 is played for years and years by myself and this community, and D4 could be like D3, a (couple of) year(s) and that's it...Blizzard allow me high resolution gaming with my son!

I merged @NorthDakota ’s thread in.

RL: We are having a fantastic warm September at the moment. Making the most of it when I’m not working.

D2: My Mac is out for repair. Battery swelled up so much it bent the case, possibly damaging the motherboard too. It will be like Trigger’s broom by the time I get it back.

So no D2 for me at the moment. I’m catching up on some of the guide transfers to this site, but that isn’t as easy on the iPad.

OVG: I have given up on Fortnite due to the Apple vs Epic fight. Not really started playing anything else.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High