OT: Computer question

YoungDbl

Apr 13, 2006
www.facebook.com
OT: Computer question

Hey I have a question about the new computer I have. The monitor flashes about once every 2 seconds and it is pretty bad. I tried adjusting the screen refresh rate and it doesnt help. All the ports are tight and everything is hooked up.

I would of thought to try changing the refresh rate too, since that didnt work try changing the resolution. Might not help either though?

My laptop monitor does all kinds of weird flashing crap. I just bang it until it stops. Don't know if that's an option your willing to explore.

I have a few thoughts as to what it might be. First would be a defective monitor, in which case you should exchange it for a working one. Second is a defective display adapter (ie video card, or 'on-board' video adapter built into the motherboard, depending on your setup). Again, if it's a new machine, my suggestion would be to bring it back to the store for an exchange.

The third idea is that perhaps you're exceeding the factory spec on your monitor. If you drive the monitor at a higher resolution and/or refresh rate than it is designed for, this can cause problems, up to and including permanent physical damage. This is more of a concern with CRT-based monitors than it is with LCD ones; the latter cannot operate in resolutions other than their native ones. Any non-native resolutions will either be scaled to fit the screen (though if the native resolution is an even multiple of the requested resolution, it will not be blurry), use only part of the screen if the requested resolution is smaller and scaling is disabled (this is how I run D2 on my laptop, since if I have it resize to the widescreen display, it distorts the aspect ratio), or have a kind of panning setup if the requested resolution is larger and scaling is disabled (though this is actually done by the display adapter, by mapping a portion of a logical screen to the actual display; the panning is usually activated with a hotkey and/or by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen).

The upshot of all this is that if you're running on a CRT, you should make sure your display properties are set to 'hide modes this monitor cannot display'; exactly where this option is varies with Windows version and sometimes display driver. However, since this requires a monitor capable of 'reporting' its capabilities to the display driver, it is not always possible (though most modern monitors will support it). Your other choice is to check the manual that came with your monitor; this should tell you what resolutions and refresh rates it can handle (note the latter will depend upon the former; higher resolutions usually have a slower maximum refresh rate, as more pixels per frame mean less frames per second). As I mentioned before, trying to drive your monitor beyond its capacity can result in physical damage, so it is a very good idea that you avoid this. If you do not have a manual, you can always look on-line for one, as most manufacturers will make this information available.

If running on an LCD monitor, my recommendation would be to run it in its native resolution whenever possible. In cases where you can't do this (playing D2, for example), you should probably have it set to scale the image to fit the display, unless you have some reason not to (widescreen display with a non-widescreen resolution, or a crummy monitor that doesn't anti-alias the image very well, making it look all 'jagged'). In either case, try to keep the refresh rate as low as possible (many display drivers will fix it at 60Hz if they detect an LCD display). Unlike a CRT, which must have the screen refreshed many times per second to avoid fading of the image (which will cause visible flickering if the refresh rate is too low), an LCD monitor's image does not fade. This means that the lower the refresh rate, the less demand there will be on the bus between the display memory and the adapter components that drive the video signal, thus translating into more time for the CPU and/or graphics processor to access this memory. In effect, on an LCD, a lower refresh rate can sometimes increase performance, especially if the video RAM is not dual-ported. Obviously, this can be taken too far, but unless your application is rendering more visually distinct frames per second than the refresh rate allows it to display, it will not be an issue.

Well I guess it turned out for the best! My moms computer was the one flashing and apparently it was something about not having the right MHZ setting available so now I ended up with a new dell lcd flatpanel! Thank you!!!!

Well I guess it turned out for the best! My moms computer was the one flashing and apparently it was something about not having the right MHZ setting available so now I ended up with a new dell lcd flatpanel! Thank you!!!!
I think you mean Hz. Hertz (cycles per second) is for monitor refresh rates (among other things), though the horizontal refresh is usually measured in kilohertz (kHz). Megahertz (MHz) is usually used to measure processor speed (for ones they don't measure in gigahertz) or bus speeds (for example, how fast your RAM is).

If you had a monitor refreshing in the MHz, that'd be in the millions of frames/sec range. :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High