Off-topic in the OTF

We call them Pommes, germanizing the word by pronouncing both syllables. The French probably cringe when they hear it and the Americans cringe about us adding mayonnaise to them.... but I think the Belgians add mayo as well and it's them who invented the dish IIRC.
Is it the same reaction as when you guys hear about Americans dipping their fries into ice cream?

If your reaction is a disturbing silence, then yes. Welcome BTW!

Just straight up mayo? Yeah, we'd probably cringe at that. Fry sauce is pretty big though. Basically just a mix of ketchup and mayo, sometimes with a bit of honey as well. I've also known some people to substitute ranch dressing for the mayo.

I think that fries just with mayo are delicious, but ketchup is the most common addition for fries here, although ketchup+mayo together is pretty common as well, although we don't mix it into one sauce. What we do here, however, is making a burger sauce made of ketchup, mayo and a bit mustard.

BTW, there are several degrees of quality with respect to mayonnaise. Germany is rather close to Belgium and France, so I guess we have a certain advantage with respect to the good stuff :).

Edit: Clumsy words, welcome to Turb.

Thanks kris, this feels like a real blast from the past.

You ever try that spicy mayo that they put on sushi? Mayo + sriracha is one of the only ways I can stomach mayonnaise, I swear sriracha on anything makes it taste better.

Am I the only one here who really doesn't care for condiments at all? I know far too many people who bury their food in ketchup and it makes me wonder what sort of gruel they were fed when they were kids.

A good spicy garlic marinara is S tier though!

Heya, Turbs. 🐢

I know far too many people who bury their food in ketchup and it makes me wonder what sort of gruel they were fed when they were kids.
Me...

Why does the chicken have four legs and taste funny?

Mom...

Put more ketchup on it.

Heya, Turbs. 🐢
Whattup homie 👊

I'm with Dave here, ketchup is a top tier condiment. I don't have time to be fussing around with marinara, I want it to come out of a plastic bottle that can be purchased from the nearest grocery store.

BTW, there are several degrees of quality with respect to mayonnaise.
Around here there's generally only two. Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip. 😛

We do have access to a variety of mustards though.

Just straight up mayo? Yeah, we'd probably cringe at that.
Yes and yes. Hell, I don't even like mayo on my sammiches.

I believe the Belgians' mayo is a bit more dynamic than our white goo, but could be wrong.
Fry sauce is pretty big though.
Never heard of it; sounds vile.

There's Poutine, of course, which is cheese curds with brown gravy over the fries. But that's still not quite as evil as actual mayo.

Whattup homie 👊

I'm with Dave here, ketchup is a top tier condiment. I don't have time to be fussing around with marinara, I want it to come out of a plastic bottle that can be purchased from the nearest grocery store.
Morning, Turb! Looks like you & Glurin are up early...

What I miss... what I REALLY REALLY miss, and haven't been able to find... is something resembling the British "translation" of German pfeffersauce.

I know that A-1 went so far as to market it once, but I'm betting that was test product and should have bought a lot more. Everything I find on shelves is sweet barbeque or intended for Oriental recipes (if one can still use the word "Oriental")

Never heard of it; sounds vile.
It's not as popular along the east coast from what I'm told. I was skeptical when I first tried it, but it's pretty tasty. In several regions even big chains like Burger King have packets of it in a bin next to the ketchup packets.

I know that A-1 went so far as to market it once, but I'm betting that was test product and should have bought a lot more. Everything I find on shelves is sweet barbeque or intended for Oriental recipes (if one can still use the word "Oriental")
Impossible to tell these days. I was already sick of it back when they called them "microaggressions". Anyway, never heard of pfeffersauce. Not sure I could even pronounce it. Then again, I can barely pronounce worcestershire sauce and I still use that in a couple recipes. :)

I've done brown gravy over fries before. I mean it's pretty much just potatoes with gravy, so no big deal. Don't think I'd care for adding cheese to the mix though.

Reactions: jmervyn
Sounds like what a non-believer would say.
I'm not like those purists that say it's gotta be a specific type of cheese curd or whatever, but there aren't many things that can't be made better by putting cheese on it.

Reactions: superdave
I've done brown gravy over fries before. I mean it's pretty much just potatoes with gravy, so no big deal. Don't think I'd care for adding cheese to the mix though.
I believe it's pretty much what KFC is selling as their "bowls" though I've only had the ones with mashed.

I prefer cheddar on top because if you think about it, a good cheddar is what you put on a baked potato anyway.

Just to demonstrate how ancient I am, as a teen I used to love a chain restaurant called Spudulike back when they were all across London. Looks like they're going the way of Howard Johnson's... and yes, I've eaten at this one more than once as well as the second to last one in Bangor.

They really ought to just embrace the Douglas Adams references.

EDIT - so I agreed to Rush's very polite request and signed up for the YouTub channel. I can't help but suspect it's really just a way to spy on my viewing habits, which lately consist of Korean pr0n... and not just those delightful bodybuilders:

Last edited:
I prefer cheddar on top because if you think about it, a good cheddar is what you put on a baked potato anyway.
I usually don't just use cheddar on a baked potato. I prefer putting some chili over it and then sprinkling cheddar on top of that.

Either that or just plain butter with some bacon bits and a little salt and pepper. Simple, but delicious. 😋

I usually don't just use cheddar on a baked potato. I prefer putting some chili over it and then sprinkling cheddar on top of that.

Either that or just plain butter with some bacon bits and a little salt and pepper. Simple, but delicious. 😋
Just a little pepper and some gravy here. If I want to dress 'em up any more than that I just make twice-baked potatoes instead.
Do you guys eat the potato skin for your baked potatoes?
Always. Yum!

Do you guys eat the potato skin for your baked potatoes?
Of course. Half the nutritional value of a potato is in the skin and it's not too bad taste wise either.

I've heard of people using crushed chips as a casserole topping, but that's about it.

Reactions: d2lover
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High