Off-topic in the OTF

In this particular case, I prefer ancient Greek in Latin script, correcting the English language and addressing jmervyn with my words of wisdom. That way I'm annoying the ancient Greek, ancient Romans, English speakers and jmervyn in one go, giving me an undeserved feeling of hybris to myself.
Undeserved to be certain; I found your use of an archaic spelling interesting but not at all annoying.

More along the lines of my using the improper "majick" to mock Wiccans, or my artistic license trying to avoid the word filters employed by the hate-filled Proggy fascists in the U.S. They have forbidden the terms "pedophile" and "supremacist" among others, and this is on news site comment sections using the Disqus engine.

I'm honestly starting to think that what we're seeing is what really happened with the Tower of Babel. God didn't actually have to do anything. He just let them invent 50,000 pronouns that must be used accurately at all times, alter the meaning of existing words weekly and come up new words to be offended by daily. Eventually people just spoke a hundred different languages that nobody could understand but would always offend. 😐

Bought a motorhome yesterday.

I'm honestly starting to think that what we're seeing is what really happened with the Tower of Babel. God didn't actually have to do anything. He just let them invent 50,000 pronouns that must be used accurately at all times, alter the meaning of existing words weekly and come up new words to be offended by daily. Eventually people just spoke a hundred different languages that nobody could understand but would always offend. 😐
Still waiting for that apology.

He is in India today.

Did we miss the death of Michael Collins?

There are two kinds of people, those wo know who he was and those who don't. Screw those who don't!

R.I.P.

Did we miss the death of Michael Collins?

There are two kinds of people, those wo know who he was and those who don't. Screw those who don't!

R.I.P.
**** cancer.

YouTube doubtless considers me truly deranged, because I'm finding videos for survivalist stuff, medieval cooking, China invading Taiwan, and funny cat videos all in my top suggestions.

Today it's Korean female fitness models. As an only moderately perverted observation, why are they so incredibly stunning, healthy, & beautiful - while both American fitness models and Western fashion models... are not?

I mean, American fitness models have jawlines that look like that of a shark, when they're not obviously "juicing" (AKA steroids), and fashion models flabby & wobbly?

Youtube regards me as pretty much what I am, a German nerd and geek. Here's the top of what comes up when going to Youtube:

1620509539998.png

Hmm, I think I have to clean up my D2Inc buttons.

Last edited:
Youtube regards me as pretty much what I am, a German nerd and geek. Here's the top of what comes up when going to Youtube:
Well, I probably shouldn't have mentioned the survivalist stuff given that's totally understandable; I look up things to teach my "scouting" kids. The medieval cooking makes a bit of sense because I've looked for "Dutch Oven" recipes often enough for the same reason.

I also have hits from D&D Online and Skyrim/Fallout which makes sense for the same reason. Also there seems to be some sort of heuristic that tracks music videos I've watched & calls it, "my mix".

But the only thing I can figure with the Korean fitness models is that I've watched some K-pop & "Gangam Style" recently.

Hmm. I think I'll start learning Korean. For um, research, of course. You never know when knowing another language will come in handy. :whistle:

Seriously though, I've had stuff like that pop up after looking at videos of someone cooking a Korean style grilled cheese sandwich.

• Love
Reactions: jmervyn
Hmm. I think I'll start learning Korean. For um, research, of course. You never know when knowing another language will come in handy. :whistle:

Seriously though, I've had stuff like that pop up after looking at videos of someone cooking a Korean style grilled cheese sandwich.
I need to get my German & Spanish up to snuff; both have decayed very badly. If I was to start something new it would be Latin or Greek like my mother, for better literature comprehension.

As it happens, one of the Leftists' boogeymen, Victor Davis Hanson, was teaching a free online classics course. I was tempted to sign up but I had too many IT requirements at the time. There are others I might try if I ever have time...

Reactions: Glurin
I took a French class way back, since a foreign language was a graduation requirement and I wanted to do something other than Spanish just because everybody was doing Spanish. Never really stuck though. Probably because I never really had much interest or use in the language to begin with. At this point pretty much all I remember of it is how to count to ten and say "I don't understand" with really bad pronunciation.

Picked up a little Japanese when I got into anime. Just enough to sometimes get the gist of what people are saying. Never took the time to really sit down and learn it though, much as I'd like to. It's been sitting on my "I'll get around to it one of these days" list for a while. I'd probably pick Latin after that if I ever decided to learn another one.

I took a French class way back, since a foreign language was a graduation requirement and I wanted to do something other than Spanish just because everybody was doing Spanish. Never really stuck though. Probably because I never really had much interest or use in the language to begin with. At this point pretty much all I remember of it is how to count to ten and say "I don't understand" with really bad pronunciation.
Yup, boyo took French for pretty much the same reasons, and I had thought he's better at it but he said it hasn't "stuck" either.

Part of the problem is always that unless you use other languages your brain simply files the information deeper & deeper in the archives... to quote Douglas Adams, in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.”

Yeah, probably would have retained it better if I had any interest in, well, anything French really. Crepes is about it. And french fries which, you know, don't really count. 😛

We call them Pommes, germanizing the word by pronouncing both syllables. The French probably cringe when they hear it and the Americans cringe about us adding mayonnaise to them.... but I think the Belgians add mayo as well and it's them who invented the dish IIRC.

the Americans cringe about us adding mayonnaise to them....
Just straight up mayo? Yeah, we'd probably cringe at that. Fry sauce is pretty big though. Basically just a mix of ketchup and mayo, sometimes with a bit of honey as well. I've also known some people to substitute ranch dressing for the mayo.

Heinz decided to sell it as "mayochup" a few years ago. Probably some marketing guy thought it was clever.

Speaking of mayo, I remember this great gag I heard about once that involved putting vanilla pudding in an empty mayonnaise jar and eating it at lunch in front of your coworkers. 😉

How is Jared Kushner's Nobel Peace nominated treaty looking now? I thought we were guaranteed peace in the Middle East forever.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High