Next MF / RF Tournament?

maxicek

Guide Author
Aug 5, 2005
As the days are getting shorter for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere I'm wondering if anyone has any Magic Find / Rune Finding tournaments planned?
The next big one I think is the RFL in March next year - but that is a long way away yet.

I have been doing some casual Trav runs (without any success) over the last few weeks and feel the need for a bit of motivation :)

What would people be interested in? Any volunteers to run something?

Some ideas:
Baalathon
WS King / Queen tournament re-run
Big game hunt - Only Ber+ / DWeb, DFathom, Tyraels etc only count

Maybe something around D4... I don't know, would a double format RFL/MF in CS could be of interest? With a double top 4 runes/4 items, with only Diablo items count, and runes only from other monsters of the CS...well maybe such setup would be more built before proposal.

In fact I'm just thinking about that because I read some post lately about the fun of running Baal...but I would be fine with it personally! Would be interested in a WSK tournament also, never been involved in one, would be a discovery.

@maxicek yesterday I was just about to ask the same question :) and to offer to host an MF/RF tournament again like this one.some time soon. Happy to do that if others are interested. Probably a more simplified version in terms of categories (e.g. back then several people were running Nihl with their 99ers, probably not a reasonable target otherwise).

I'd also join other tournaments of course, as long as I can get in some alvl 85 MF'ing... still looking for Tyrael's. :) Some type of mini-MFO or so.

Reactions: Babyhell
Most options work for me.
My main goals are Jahs & Bers, but I'm up for anything where these may drop. I also have Assassins to level, so Baal works here. Or Paladins in CS.

Niiiice. I am also up for hosting a second OBP if there is a lot of interest. But these days, I myself am less interested in running different areas, so I hadn't brought that up myself.

I actually was tossing around the idea of trying a new MF/RF tourney format. Tell me what you guys think. The ones in the past required both runes and mf finds to do well. I went back through many of those tourneys and notices that most people's top 5 runes often reached a similar score to peoples' top 5 mf items. So to me it seems those two scales (rfl and mfo scoring systems) randomly turned out to be quite balanced. So I was thinking it could be fun to have a tourney where you submit your top 5 runes OR s/u's. So if someone wants to run trav, they may have a chance, and if someone else wants to run pitzerker, they may have a chance. You all like that idea? Or just too little cohesion amongst the runners?

Reactions: ResTTe
Hello.
Since i have never done a tournament in this forum iam super ecxited to finally do one.
As i have no experience i would prefer something simple like baalmarathon to level my ut99er barb or a Mf or RFL league where i would level up a another ut99er and get him or her some gear.
@Luhkoh i really like your idea as it offers something for every taste

@Luhkoh I like that idea, too. People could run anything from pure MF to pure RF characters or something in between. Since I'm mostly looking forward to playing AT or Pit MF characters, I'm happy as long as that's possible.

Maybe something like this?
  • Running/sign-up in MFO category targets (lvl 85, Pindle+, Baal)
  • In each category one can run any other area on top of the MFO areas (such as Travincal or Cows)
  • S&U drops only count from MFO categories
  • Rune drops count from all areas
  • Scoring top 5 of either runes or S&Us
  • MFO scoring system for MF
  • RFL scoring system for RF
  • Batches of 20h sets over 3-4 weeks. From all formats I've seen, just seems to be the best balance between somewhat reducing RNG and not having too much of an advantage if you can run for 100 hours or so...

Reactions: ResTTe and Babyhell
I wanted to ask about a tournament where top X best drops count towards your score and you can run any area you want, but then realized there is a reason why we should focus only on lvl 85 areas and some extras xD

I am interested in participating in any tournament, as long as i can run my sorc in chaos. Will be a nice addition to the lvling.

Reactions: Babyhell
@ffs Agreed on most everything...except the multiple categories. I vote to keep things simple. Pindle and alvl 85 are easy to combine (perhaps slightly more efficiency from pindle at the cost of no tyraels possibility), and as far as baal goes, if you join a rf/mf tourney and then run a target that's poor for both, I think it should be hard to win (but still possible). So I guess I should have clarified, but my thought is that anywhere in the game is allowed and you just get mfo alvl 85 points for s/u's and rfl points (for 1.13b+ areas) for runes, and submit your top 5 and can mix.

And to be clear, it's tough to word, but when i say top 5 runes or s/u's I at least didn't mean that you had to choose 5 of one or the other. So you can go full mf, full rf, or balanced approach. Top 5 could look like
  • Astreons
  • Cham
  • Darkforce
  • Jah
  • Griffons
...Hopefully :p.

Agreed on the 20 hours over 3-4 weeks. The ten hour sets were kinda fun but just too short. I might lean toward 4 weeks just because people seem to like the extra breathing room compared to rfl. But since you can switch targets at will and do a plethora of runs, it shouldn't be mentally taxing in the least to get in 20 hours.

Sidenote I also think chests etc should be allowed. My thought is that it's nice when the tourney lines up with "real" wealth building. Plus if someone wants to run LK for it, then I don't see an issue. 4 sur's and ber aren't an unbeatable top 5.

The only disadvantage I see to this format is that there is virutally no cohesion, so we won't get the cool theorycrafting and discussion we get during rfl1 for example. But seems like everyone is up for a more chill and loose format so maybe thats fine and we can save the focused efforts for some of the other tourneys.

But cool I'm glad there is some interest. I like the idea of being able run full rf or full mf based on what your current goals are, or the balanced approach which is always fun because we don't do much of it in our other tourneys. As far as hosting goes, I would love it if you want to host @ffs, but I am available if that's helpful, just a tad more busy than usual.

Been a while since I last hosted a tourney. Happy to do it.

I'll fire up a thread in the upcoming days. Why not already starting this upcoming weekend already? With 20h set limitation and a longer duratoin of 4 weeks, there's plenty of time for others to get in some running even if you sign up 1-2 days later... And @ResTTe can continue grinding 24/7 without finishing CS before the tourney starts. :D

@Luhkoh Ah got you, yeah having mixed top 5 scores should be interesting as well, let's go with that! I have a feeling this could influence a strategic decision here or there after certain drops, but don't see anything wrong with it... Agreed re LK, similar to the 2018 MF/RF tourney I had no intention of excluding chest drops.

Regarding Baal: From what I see around here there are some players currently running Baal or considering to run him, and the MFO Baal category is always populated for some reason. Don't ask me why. ;) So for the sake of getting as many people onboard as possible, I'd include it. If it stays empty and everyone goes for the other areas (happy to combine them with Pindle), then so be it.

@ffs sounds awesome, I'll look forward to it. I have some discussion points on drops influencing strategic decisions (which, agreed, I think would be fine/fun), but I'll save it for the running thread!

II see what you mean about including baal perhaps getting more participation. My kinda food for thought is that I like the idea of the scoring system to mimic "real" wealth building as much as possible, and if baal is poor for wealth then hes poor for score. Ofc I could see someone like phineas finding a zod from a wave and a mangs from baal and winning with alvl 85 scoring :p. Not arguing for you not to include it. Not a big deal either way imo. Just think its a fun discussion. :)

Reactions: ResTTe
Well...one - maybe stupid - idea, to get the runes somehow fighting some very rare S/U drop points.

Wouldn't it be nice to have runewords allowed, giving the combined points? With the rule that the base has to be dropped too during the batch.

Just sayin'...trying to find some new ideas I'll find bad ones for sure!

Jah Mal Jah Sur Jah Ber... oh fck only a 6os eth pike found!

• Haha
Reactions: Kinkara
This seems like great fun, and a nice way for those doing XP runs to participate in a tourney without handicapping themselves too badly!

Posted the signup thread here. The format/set of rules is new and sort of generalized/less accurate than other formats. I didn't see any major issues/unfairness with it, but in case I have overlooked something feel free to ask or PM me about it.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High