JimMorrison

Mar 16, 2021
Hello, I didn't see a specific place for noobs, hoping this is okay. I'm new here, looking for advice. Recent upgrade to my internet connection has led to some interesting options. I just recently learned about the playersx command. Yeah, that's how far back I am. I have several players at 92, nobody at 93. No mods, completely vanilla. Several conc barbs, then WW barbs, then Zealots. One sorc, what a grind. One necro, now my strongest player. I am considering a rune dump, or mods, or both. This will be a one shot chance, not enough runes to do it twice. I've got a Ber, two Sur runes, and enough others to cube up. I would like to develop a player that can run Baal, on players eight, with impunity. Which way to go? Sadly, my necro just killed the Cow King, eliminating a potential resource.

What is a "rune dump"?

Do you want to enable Ladderrunewords?

Do you have Gomule for muling?

Just as a sidenote, Baal himself gives maximum experience at players 3, and maximum drops(only minor upgrade to p3) at players 5, so no reason to kill him at players 8.

If you get the right map (1-2 teleports per WSK level) to the throne, I guess a Javazon is the best Baalrunner

still, would do the clearing of the throneroom on players 1, after a certain point nothing gives exp, except baal and his minions.

also makes Puppies/Souls lesss of a problem

Reactions: JimMorrison
I have no mods, at all. Can't teleport. I am considering RWM, Gomule, etc. not sure. By Rune dump, I mean cubing up. I could put beast on my necro, and bramble on his merc. I could put CoH on my IK barbs merc. I could do the RWM, that gives more options. Modding means I'm no longer playing the original game, not sure how much that means to me. I would really like to make one player that can go anywhere, a farmer.

Reactions: d2lover
Well LadderRWs open up more possibilities=more fun imo.

The first Runeword you should make is Enigma, it is the best for alot of chars.

You would have to do some additional LK runs (p7), but it's worth it.

Enigma means= you can telestomp with all skeletons+merc, AND can wear CTA on switch.

Maybe ladder battlenet would be something for you?

Then you could try out the ladder RWs 100% legit and decide if you want to switch to FAM with your SP chars.

Afaik the new ladder starts in just a few days, so great experience.

Welcome to the SPF! If vanilla sits right with you, do continue with it, its more challenging and consequently badass to get by without mods and GoMule.

Welcome!

When I started playing DII on Bnet (ladder) I just took stuff like being able to mule and access all runewords for granted. So when I switched to SP I had no qualms whatsoever about using RWM or an extended stash because that was simply a continuation of the way I was already playing. I personally firmly believe that excluding some runewords from SP had absolutely nothing at all to do with 'game balance' and everything to do with steering players to Bnet where Blizzard could be more sure that their customers were paying customers. So, um, anyhow ... I'd say go ahead with RWM because after all it's only granting you access to something that never should have been withheld ... and go ahead with an extended stash because you're able to mule and store items on other characters with a right-of-the-box copy of DII on Bnet ... why not do the same here?

Whatever you decide though, you'll find like minded players here. So again, welcome!

Thanks for replies, I'll give it some thought. How many people out there, that have never traded or modded, were actually able to acquire enough high runes?

Thanks for replies, I'll give it some thought. How many people out there, that have never traded or modded, were actually able to acquire enough high runes?
Before patch 1.13 (I think it was that one), it was extremely difficult for single players to get high runes. The only way to get one was up to blind luck.

Now, after the post-patch boost to rune drop rates, getting high runes is definitely in the realm of possibility now for the single player community with some dedicated running in the right locations.

This guide explains where and how to efficiently acquire high runes in the game.

Oh yea, and welcome! Always good to see new faces.

Welcome the SPF! Look forward to hearing about your progress, which ever route you go. All these years later, D2 still provides many options for enjoyment, indeed!

Thanks for participating with us, @JimMorrison ! I enjoy playing vanilla as well. I will probably give RWM a try someday, but for now I enjoy challenging myself to play without those lauded runewords (Spirit, Insight, etc.) that seem to become staple must-haves when they become available.

As for runes: during the last thirteen months, I have successfully collected or cubed at least one of every rune except for Jah and Cham. I even have two Zods in a GoMule stash right now, although I still believe that's just due to insanely good luck.

Although it hasn't seen much business recently, the best thread to introduce yourself here is probably the Etdlahq Memorial Bar. To get our friendliest welcomes, be sure to bring a fat wallet and wear knee-length short pants. (Or, if you're willing to risk that the rest of us will pout and sulk and shun you, leave your wallet at home and tuck sturdy shin-guards into your knee-length socks.)

[edit: I can't spell]

Last edited:
Making you own thread like this one is how you introduce yourself here, so you got that right :)

Welcome to the SPF. I really like your work with The Doors.

Play the game, enjoy some builds, see what you like. Don't worry about running LK or anything like crazy just yet, get a feel for what you like and then you will know what you need to run for. What build was the sorc and why didn't you like her?

Fire and Ice, Tal Rasha's set. I think I read somewhere that I wasn't rich enough for a lightning build. I was trying to create a MF sorc, not much success. Never had a character die so often. She's a Matriarch, but I have not played her since.

Before patch 1.13 (I think it was that one), it was extremely difficult for single players to get high runes. The only way to get one was up to blind luck.

Now, after the post-patch boost to rune drop rates, getting high runes is definitely in the realm of possibility now for the single player community with some dedicated running in the right locations.

This guide explains where and how to efficiently acquire high runes in the game.

Oh yea, and welcome! Always good to see new faces.
This is the best guide I've seen. Thanks!

Maybe respec your Sorc to pure Blizzard. For specific targets it is one of the strongest builds in the game. She is capable of finding every item in the game, runes included.

The delay in my responding, is not due to a lack of interest. I've been considering options, while acquiring runes. d2 lover, thanks for the info on the playersx command. As far as ladder or battle .net, there is no way , my internet is way to slow. Maltatai, I like the way you roll. HanShotFirst, what you said makes a lot of sense. I probably will end up there. Not just yet. Thanks to all for the good will! maxicek, is there a particular build guide that you would recommend? My only sorc is on a laptop I no longer use for playing, only muling. I don't mind starting over, need the practice. Please keep in mind, vanilla build. Thanks to all, and yes, I like this game.

Somewhat surprisingly we don't have a decent pure Blizzard guide for PvM (volunteers?)
But there are plenty of Blizz sorce in the SPF Mats, Pats & Guardians compilation, I suggest you read some of these.

The basic build would be 65/105FCR
1 Static, 1 Warmth, 1 Teleport, 20 Blizzard, 20 Cold Mastery, rest into Blizzard Synergies.
Full Tal's is a decent starting point.

The biggest problem is dealing with Cold Immunes. A strong Merc & lots of Teleporting fixes this. Claw Viper Temple is hard, but you just need to Teleport to the Altar and get out quick.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High