Moving files between PC/Laptop

Crudesash

Feb 19, 2021
Good day SPF! I was wondering if anyone has any experience in the best way to move between PC and Laptop for D2, specifically by using a shared file location over a local network. I was curious if I created a shared file between the 2 if I could access character files from either machine, and Atma files as well. Thanks for any input or advice.

I suspect it would be easiest to keep separate files on each computer but have [cloud sync service of choice] keep the files in sync. Added benefit is that you then have sort of backups in the cloud (if versioning is available).

Edit: cloud or not, some sort of syncing tool is probably needed. D2 excpects character files to be in specific folders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crudesash
I suspect it would be easiest to keep separate files on each computer but have [cloud sync service of choice] keep the files in sync. Added benefit is that you then have sort of backups in the cloud (if versioning is available).

Edit: cloud or not, some sort of syncing tool is probably needed. D2 excpects character files to be in specific folders.
Yeah, I guess I could use one drive to sync the D2 files...I can try it and see what happens. Thanks!

You can change the file save location in the registry. So in theory you can put them in a folder which is backed up to the cloud (eg Dropbox) then access it from both computers.

I have changed the character save location so it gets backed up to iCloud, but never doing it to accesss from two computers.

Run a test with clean save folders if you try it. I think the biggest risk is it hasn’t backed up the file to the cloud and you make dupes. This shouldn’t be an issue if you use the local network rather than the cloud.

You can change the file save location in the registry. So in theory you can put them in a folder which is backed up to the cloud (eg Dropbox) then access it from both computers.

I have changed the character save location so it gets backed up to iCloud, but never doing it to accesss from two computers.

Run a test with clean save folders if you try it. I think the biggest risk is it hasn’t backed up the file to the cloud and you make dupes. This shouldn’t be an issue if you use the local network rather than the cloud.
Thanks; my original thought was to just share a file location over my local network, but I don’t want to wind up with dupes everywhere, for sure.
But I think that might cause a different issue; the laptop won’t be able to access files away from the home network.

Hey now, have you all forgotten that D2 is a classic? Where's your respect for tradition? You should be using a 3.5 inch floppy to move those files. :cool:

Not quite low tech as a fl oppy drive, but you could put D2, Atma, GoMule all on a separate hard drive that you just plug into a USB port..

It's what I've done for years when I traveled with a work laptop and had my PC at home. Work frowned on putting games on their computers, but having it on a separate hard drive caused no problems.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High