Mini-guide for Polearm and Spear bases in 1.07

ziambe

Oct 21, 2009
After spending the better part of the last 2 days (20+ hours) trying to rack a + 5os superior + eth ghost spear in 1.07...I started to pick up every socketed one that dropped to check how many sockets were spawning...and to my surprise found that they were never dropping with 5 or 6os.

A quick search of course confirmed that in 1.07, polearms (and spears) receive a maximum of 4 sockets...🤦‍♂️ Not a huge deal but after a little thought, I wanted to make a mini-guide to help futures hunters find the best possible polearms and spears!

TLDR: For 5 socket runewords in Ghost Spears/War Pikes/GPAs or Giant Threshers, the superior mod (15% extra ED) is not possible with a 1.07 base. This actually makes finding a perfect base easier because you only need the rack to drop an ethereal one. In all other cases, you will need to find an eth + 15% superior for the best possible ED.

I. 4 socket runewords
Polearms Only: Infinity, Insight, Pride, Rift​
Spears and Polearms: Hand of Justice, Passion, Phoenix​
  1. Colossus Voulges and Stygian Pikes
    • Ethereal + Superior is possible
    • You can socket these in 1.07 or 1.10+
    • These bases can also drop with 4os thereby saving you a socket quest, however considering the rarity, be ready to accept an eth+sup one and then use your quest!
  2. Threshers, Cryptic Axes or Mancatchers
    • You must socket these in 1.07 not in 1.10+
    • If you try to socket them in 1.10+, they will get 5 sockets
    • These bases can also drop with 4os thereby saving you a socket quest, however considering the rarity, be ready to accept an eth+sup one and then use your quest!
  3. Great Poleaxes, Giant Threshers, Ghost Spears and War Pikes
    • You must socket these in 1.07 not in 1.10+
    • If you try to socket them in 1.10+, they will get 6 sockets
II. 5 socket runewords
Polearms Only: Obedience, Doom, Destruction​
Spears and Polearms: Honor, Eternity​
  • Colossus Voulges and Stygian Pikes cannot get 5 sockets in 1.07 or 1.10+
  • Threshers, Cryptic Axes or Mancatchers
    • You must socket these in 1.10+ not in 1.07
    • If you socket these in 1.07 they will get 4 sockets instead of the 5 you require
  • Great Poleaxes, Giant Threshers, Ghost Spears and War Pikes
    • Ethereal + Superior is not possiblebecause:
      • Larzuk will give them 4 sockets in 1.07 or
      • 6 sockets in 1.10+
    • Search for ethereal only then socket them with the cube in 1.10+ Ral + Amn + Perfect Amethyst
    • Since the number of sockets from the cube recipe is random, search for several bases to ensure you get a 5 socket one
III. 6 socket runewords: Breath of the Dying and Silence
  • Colossus Voulges and Stygian Pikes cannot get 6 sockets in 1.07 or 1.10+
  • Threshers, Cryptic Axes or Mancatchers cannot get 6 sockets in 1.07 or 1.10+
  • Great Poleaxes, Giant Threshers, Ghost Spears and War Pikes
    • You must socket these in 1.10+ not in 1.07
    • If you socket these in 1.07 they will get 4 sockets and not the 6 you require
    • So for a 6 socket runeword in these bases, you need a rack to drop an unsocketed, ethereal, superior base!
I just wanted to point this out because it seemed to me that it is not so obvious at first glance and so I thought I could save some others time!

Some follow-up questions for my fellow SPF gurus:
  • Is there a difference in the frequency of ethereal items from racks in 1.07 vs 1.10?
  • My goal is to test an Eternity on a spearazon before investing a zod to make an ebotd ghost spear. Any comments from veteran spearazons on this idea is thus welcome too! :)

Edit: retitled this thread and reformatted my post into a mini-guide to better achieve my intention to help future hunters!

Last edited:
Ethereal should be 1 in 20 just like any patch 1.07+.

On the socket stuff I can only recommend one of these two tables:
by me, or:
by @Derklord .

Btw, you can see that the same dillemma doesn't happen for claw bases as you can get 3os in 1.08 but not in 1.07.

Reactions: ziambe
@ziambe you would want to put not a single point into the dodge/evade skills, they interrupt Fend, and afaik Jab too.

that means no valkery, which would be a huge minus for me, I would like to be women in arms haha

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High