MFO Summer 2021 When?

PhineasB

Guide Author
Mar 14, 2020
So it's that time of year again. Which time you say? Time for crazy shenanigans of running for endless hours* during a 10-day stretch for nice green and golden loot, known as the Magic Finding Olympics or MFO. (* Or however many hours available or deemed appropriate by each SPFer ;) ).

For those not familiar, info from last year's edition is available here. MFO is such a great tradition within the SPF (history can be seen here), so gauging interest and availability for this year's edition.

As discussed briefly earlier this summer, I'm away from August 21 to August 31, and was thinking to host when I get back. The two best options would be September 3 - September 12 or September 10 - September 19. That timing also leads up nicely to the D2R release on September 23, 2021, so an added benefit that MFO will serve to hype that release. I'm leaning toward September 3 start, but would definitely go with September 10 if that works for more people. So please weigh in if you have a strong preference on timing, and I'll do my best to set for the option that seems to work best.

HYPE!!!

I would prefer 3rd september, but I'm still deciding wether I want to participate or not.

Just a question, are Pindleruns(no tyraels, arach, bluewrath) or pit/at runs the best for it?

I've got a Pitzerker ready for action, but don't have a good map yet.

@Trim mentioned last night that he was curious about the MFO. I'm in, really enjoyed myself last time. I imagine Trim will be too. I don't mind the start date. I might even book it off work as I still have two weeks' holiday to take, or I might save that for D2R.

May all our drops be green and gold!

Oh, you know I'm comin' back! It was a heart-breaking 2nd place last year, and I wanna see if I can continue to be competitive with my slow Blizsorc against all your speedy Pitzerkers again.

No preference on the time frame. Just have to remember not to volunteer myself for any extra work during the selected time period. ...And be fully stocked with some over the counter pain killers. I can already feel my hands & wrists screaming at me to take a break. :)

Reactions: PhineasB
I have virtually no D2 time in a consistent manner for the foreseeable future, so later is better for me (though not a huge difference). Either way, I will make sure to get some hours in when it comes down to it. HYPE!!
Same here in every way :)

Reactions: Pb_pal and PhineasB
I'll add to the chorus. Not too much time to play, but will get in 10-12 hours for sure whichever is chosen. Despite the low time, I'm really looking forward to it!

I think I'm going to play a p3 ~500mf pitnecro. Keeping mf the primary focus, but hoping for some slight side progress on finishing that runeword grail. But we'll see when the time comes!

@d2lover pindle is traditionally a separate category from alvl85's, so doesnt make much sense to compare their efficiency for this tourney. Though I'm of the opinion we should just allow any runs and score them all according to the alvl85 points. Afterall, choosing good mf target should be an advantage in an mf comp :p.

For whatever it's worth, my preference would be 3 Sep - 12 Sep. My Blizzardess and Berzerker ready to compete.

• Love
Reactions: Babyhell
As the host, naturally PhineasB will have the final ruling on item claiming. There was a big discussion on potentially removing item claims outright for future MFOs -- some pros and cons, some supporters and dissenters.

FWIW, hardly anyone has done it in recent memory. Last year folks could vountarily choose to opt out of claims before the tourney started, and I don't recall any issues with how that system played out. The eventual sign up thread will have all the rules clearly posted, but if your biggest personal concern preventing you from joining up is the potential of item claims... I don't think you have much to worry about. We're good-natured here. I'm among those who'd be happy to volunteer non-grailer trophies to winners who want something as a prize.

...But it won't matter in the end. I don't have interest in claiming stuff, never mind someone else's hard-earned precious and rare things. And I'm gonna win my category, so if you run Alvl85s your items will be safe from me. :cool:

- - - - - - - - -

Edit: Anyone able to get a hold of @Nagisa to alert them of the upcoming festivities? Can't tag them like I'd expect. And I'd hate to have one of last year's winners miss out if they were interested in defending their crown / tiara.

Edit2: Oh, maybe it did work...? Meh.

Last edited:
Meh, I'm still bitter that someone lifted my Stormlash despite the fact that they also found one in the same MFO. (Mephisto). The experience turned me off from MFOs. Yeah, yeah, I knew the rules but there was still a sense that most people would decline to take an item.

I'm convinced it was taken clearly out of spite since that was the only item taken when the guy could have earned 4 items from other folks. I think he was mad that I made him waste so much time to try and beat my score at the end since the Stormlash dropped pretty early for me.

It was a long time ago.

I am all for having the 2nd, 3rd, 4th place people send a personalized souvenir of some sort. That would be kind of cool. I'm sure everyone has an unclaimed personalization quest reward hanging around and it's not too hard to go get one.

Reactions: Babyhell
As @Trim said, I think we did an opt-in/out for claiming last year and that worked well.

I'll state again as I have before; if the only reason someone isn't joining is due to potentially losing an item, I'm more than happy to step in and let participants 'claim' the same would-be prize item from me instead (assuming I have it, so no Tyraels! :p). This goes for either HC or SC.

I know others volunteered to do the same last year as well, so I'm confident there will be plenty of prize items to go around if people want to claim them, and nobody who doesn't want to lose an item will.

Hear hear! I'm down to Grail -20 and I'm still picking up almost everything, so I'm more than happy to pass something on post-MFO. I mean, out of pure kindness I was gifted a 1%-off-perfect Griffon's because I was whining about my LiteSorc, so I'd almost prefer to pay something forward this year [1.14 SC FAM].

Reactions: Pb_pal
Am on vacation 9/3-9/22, so either would work out for me. [Insert usual excuses about not having D2 installed, having no characters, and so on.] Last year was quite fun, so hopefully there will be a decent turnout again.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High