MF spots for necro

SpinalArchitect

Nov 11, 2004
MF spots for necro

Been MFing alot with my skellymancer and I have a couple questions.

Seems that Skellymancers were made to run pindle(free skel army) but what mlvl are the skeletons in pindles chamber. Trying to figure out if it is worth doing this run in full games.

also, I have forgotten how the countess works. Does mf affect her rune drops?

does she drop more/better in full games?

Runes are completely unaffected by MF. Hell Countess and I thought Andariel are supposed to be the best source for runes. I don't know for sure about Pindle's Skellies. I've typically always assumed skeletal minions aren't worth as much since their HP tends to be so low and I rarely see them drop anything great.

SpinalArchitect said:
Seems that Skellymancers were made to run pindle(free skel army) but what mlvl are the skeletons in pindles chamber.

Those are standard Reanimated Horde IIRC with a mlvl of 82.

SpinalArchitect said:
does she drop more/better in full games?

The Countess actually drops worse in full games. That is a result of the way her drop system works.

Unfortunately I can't find the exact post in which this system was explained. I'll try to post what I still remember,

All bosses have a fixed number of slots that can be filled with drops. The computer checks the first slot and selects a possible drop (like a cracked sash, or set item or a bunch of gold) from the drop list. All these drops have a different chance of being selected. If the game selects an item it will be placed in the first slot and the computer will continue on to the second slot. This continues until all the slots are filled.

However, as soon as the computer picks no_drop from the drop list, the next slot won’t be selected and the drop is over. In the case of the Countess however, as soon as no_drop is selected, the remaining empty drop slots are filled with runes.

In a 1-player game the chance for no_drop to get selected is the highest. So in a 1-player game you will, on average, get more runes. Every time you add another player the no_drop chance diminishes and the average amount of runes drops.

Mad Mantis said:
Those are standard Reanimated Horde IIRC with a mlvl of 82.

"Nhilathaks Temple" has an area level of 83, which makes them mlvl 83 at least.

Personally, I don't do "Pindleruns". As a Skelemancer you don't actually run him if you don't have an army yet. And I don't do "run" games anyway...

He's still a good place to visit at some point --- drop in, kill everything, continue elsewhere. I'm a big fan of act bosses --- mephisto is sitting behind an alvl 83 area, diablo and baal are hiding behind alvl 85 areas, and act boss drops aren't bad. Even Andy is good, although I often skip the catacomb areas when I go for a chat with her. Still... got a coldskiller recently in catacombs, since even I don't kill stuff I still try to click on the tombs/chests...

But, in general, I like most areas, even if it's just for a change of scenery. It's difficult to name really bad areas; even Maggots Lair and Arcane Sanctuary, often dubbed the curse of Skelemancers, have their merits.

man i did like 50 hell countess runs and best rune i got was fal rune and best item was 2 7mfsc's. really getting tired of finding amn rune every time i do countess runs

Mad Mantis said:
The Countess actually drops worse in full games.

Wow. :surprise: I never knew that. Thanks alot! Now I know not to bother to run her when I GF in public games.

myrakh:
I always start the game with a pindle run, to get the skellies, then go for shenk and eldritch, sometimes i go for thresh socket too. Act boss runs take forever, unless you are sorc or have enigma. If i got ppl in the game I go for the pit, but finding it takes a while and ppl tend to leave.

mantis: my god i have been running the countess in full games. thx for the info. you know if nm countess and andy are good for rune drops?

If you are doing the pit, then "boss runs" are just perfect: the pit is about killing all the monsters, not a particular one. RoF, CS and WSK are all area level 85, same as the pit --- so, by going for Diablo or Baal you do a pit run, but instead of a crappy uber chest you get an act boss in the end...

Don't get me wrong: pit isn't a bad place. Decent number of monsters, decent number of bosses, and the uber chest CAN theoretically drop something. And, being populated with A1 monsters it's also popular for the weak builds.

However, I'm just advocating my own preferences. Diablo-2 may be a rather limited game, but people can still make some decisions.

Skelemancers (aka Summoners) aren't the best "runners" -- Syndur can "run" Andariel, even though sooner or later he has to get some skellies. I don't dare running through Durance or the other act boss places.

i found joining duel games and running areas works pretty well - alot of drops and some of the monsters can actually...you know...hurt your army - i know, i know its crazy really. i just ran in to two aura boss packs in the pit lvl 2, one with fanatism and one with might :cheesy: they took out my entire army in a matter of seconds...even listers pack normally is a joke to a summon necro - this was insane

but anyway i enjoy this way of playing - it takes longer time but the enhanced drops evens it out in my opinion and its a lot more fun.

SpinalArchitect said:
mantis: my god i have been running the countess in full games. thx for the info. you know if nm countess and andy are good for rune drops?

Both Andy and The Countess can drop up to a Ko on NM IIRC.

i dont know if anyone mentioned this already, but a summoner can probably mf anywhere without a lot of trouble. they won't be as fast as other builds but they can totally do act 4 or 5... in fact, i find that they can do act 4 pretty well... the only thing you have to worry about in act 5 are souls... its good times though! besides, act 4 has such cool revives! how can you go wrong there!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High