MF league 2010 - Sign Up and discussion [by bassano]

Pb_pal

Mar 19, 2020
This tournament has already ended. It was originally posted by @bassano on Nov 29, 2009.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

MF league 2010 - 1.13 patch - Sign Up and discussion

Intorduction

In year 2009 I saw less MF tournaments then in past years and I think it is time ot change it
This tournament will be for players which have no fear from nothing in game and for players looking for best TC87 and also rune treasures.
I hope it will be one of best possibility to get motivation playing MF even for some players with less time or less motivation as sometime I am too.
Tournament should be full of interesting moments and it will contain even some non tradicional MF targets.

Format

Tournament will have 10 short rounds which are simmilar to mini MFO only with some small changes. Each round will be write 2 weeks in advance to have possibility of training of some specific targets or prepare some char or some special gear. With time of round I will also say another details of that round as score list, some technical advices and some special rules for round if there will be some of them.

Time of each round will be set from friday to next sunday of some specific weeks. From that 9 ways you can use 72 hours of runnig which you can divided to 2 section (e.g. you will have time from saturday 6:00 AM to sunday 10:00 PM so you will use 40 hours from your 72 and next week you will have time from wednesday 2:00 PM to thursday 10:00 PM so you will use rest of your 72 hours). This system give you better possibility to manage your time as you wish beacuse during that 9 days it is easier to find some time then if it will be only during one week-end.

There will be two grups of players : Players which will take part of competition for prizes and another players without prizes competition. Both groups (so all players in tourney) will play all tournament together with same scoring system they will be in current table which will show their points. But on the end of tournament first 3 players from prizes group will take their prizes.

Price system I can discuss yet but I thought about 50 PGems as entry to price group and from that PGems I will created bank and on the end first player will take 60% 2nd 30% and 3rd 10% from bank. (e.g. 20 players will be in prize group so 20 * 50= 1000 PGems will be price and from that winner of prize group will get 600 PGems, 2nd player 300 PGems and 3rd players 100 PGems)

Each of 10 rounds will worth points :
Code:
order      points
  1            5
  2            4
  3            3
  4            2
  5            1

So maximum number of points is 50 if you will win all rounds

On the end of tournament will be made TOP 5 from your best items you found during all tournament and same with TOP 5 runes

Best S/U top 5 will worth 2 Points
Best rune top 5 will worth 1 Point

SO now it is time to present possible targets from which I will choose final 10
3 of them you can choose by voting , beacuse I prefer to play some areas which are prefering by most players and rest I will choose with help of some other players (my advisors)

You can vote for 3 targets from list
Style of voting is this one for each player which will vote (in vote can participate even players which will not play tournament then)

1. xxxxxx 3 points
2. yyyyy 2 points
3. zzzzz 1 point

3 targets with most points will be part of tournament

There will be 2 type of rounds :

S/U hunt (runes will be in scoringlist too for higher players setting motivation and some targets score list will incluse also jewelery e.g. andariel,...)
and rune hunt (pure rune scoring list)

List of targets :

ACT bosses : Andariel , Duriel , Mephisto , Diablo , Baal

SU monsters : Pindleskin , Frozenstein (yeah different target from pindle) , Nihaltlak , Council members (rune hunt) , Countness (rune hunt)

Areas : Pit , AT , WSK+throne (without waves) , RoF+CS (without seal packs) , Maggot lair lvl3 + Mausoleum , ACT III area 85 temples , Cow level (rune hunt), ACT V underground areas (frozen river, Icy celar , Drifter Cavern), LK superchests (rune hunt) , RoF superchests (rune hunt) , Tal rasha tombs (rune hunt) , ACT 3 jungle (all areas before LK , underground areas incuded, rune hunt)

Some base rules : You can play HC/SC does not matter , you can play whatever you want from vanilla to FAM (only in prize part you are restricted to SPTF rules)
You do not need to partecipate in all round to be in final score list
You can sign in even during tournament (e.g. after rund 2) but let me know through PM
Only single player , no self MP games :)
Use only that 72 hours you will have
Try to beat everythink you will meet including naother players in tourney :)
If you are not in prize group , you are not less valuable and try to beat all prize players to let him know who is best.

So have a good luck and feel free for discusion and if I forgot osmethink feel free to let me know

Code:
prize group table

bassano

Re: MF league 2010 - Sign Up and discussion

I'm definitely in bass, its very interesting idea...Not sure if i can complete most of areas though...

As for me, i will choose prizes group, its much better for motivation...

Code:
prize group table

bassano
RIP

Code:
non prize group

Edit:

My votes:

1. Pindle
2. Pit
3. AT

Well this fits in nicely with my MF running, so I don't have a good reason not to enter :)

Though I would like to see some bigger stakes, mainly as I want to get back at those naabs who nicked my goodies last MFO :whistling:

As for the targets, I'm going to be a complete bore and pick:

1. Pindle
2. AT
3. Meph

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

bassano
RIP
smokee

Code:
[B]Non-prize Group Table[/B]

Been waiting for this one. Since exams are almost over i probably/hopefully will have more time to dedicate to this project. Even though i might not be able to run every target or area i promise i'll try 👍

1.AT
2.Meph
3.Countess

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

bassano
RIP
smokee
EightDigitSin

Code:

Count me in. My votes go to CS Nihilatak and Council cause those are three places that are highest danger of all and I would like to see something new :)
( also excuse for me to make some new characters :p )

As for prize system:
This event will last pretty long time and will require some dedication to win, so prizes have to be good. Let's say that entrance is 10-15 pgems for one round. That makes 100 - 150 pgems per entrant. This would even let some people decide where they want to take part. 20 people = 2000 pgems, and I suspect that there will be far more people than that. 100 pgems is nothing in several months and it is possible for anyone to gather those :p

I also don't understand 72h system. If i understand correct you have 72 hours of total running time. You can split this time to 10 targets you will be runing so you get average 7.2h per target?

1. CS runs ( Diablo )
2. Nihilatak
3. Council members

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

bassano
RIP
smokee
EightDigitSin
frozzzen

Code:

Yeeeehaaaawwwwww!

'Nother juicy beef eatin' competition from fellow cowboy eh? Count me in you dogs for sure. 'Nd guess I gotta sell my saddle in the prize bracket 'coz theres much more fun there, eh?

Right then, let's hoard those cows like there is no tomorrow!

Mah peekz:
1. Cowboy practice range
2. ROFL (+CS)
3. Council bouncin'

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]
bassano
RIP
smokee
EightDigitSin
frozzzen
skiffboy (vanilla yeah)

Code:

Ill get my shot in vanilla runnin' in this one. Really Im ready to make the big jump back to the future in 1.13 anyways, so why not to pack mah mule a bit in advance, right? The gems thrown into the pot may be FAM though, if no more vanilla fools join me on this ;)

Sidenote: I understand this to be a Xmas and onwards competition, right? (or so)... Im still a bit busy in the school now, but there will be plenty of time from half december till february for me to join some fun again ;)

frozzzen said:
I also don't understand 72h system. If i understand correct you have 72 hours of total running time. You can split this time to 10 targets you will be runing so you get average 7.2h per target?

You have 72 hours for each round. But that 72 hours is not game running time but RL time you will have. So if you will have time 36 hours during weekend and 12 of them you will be sleep , they also count to that 36. That 2 hours is exactly part of that 9*24 hours which will be duration of each round.

And for that prizes It should be only entrance / tournament beacuse only on the end of tournament will be winner and prizes will be divided so I llike to have that bak first that tournament will start to know what you are playing for. And if someone will be in non prize group and will have good score he could enter with PGems only in last round to win a bank and that is not good :)
Member of prize group will became each player which will have payed entrance PGems. I prefer have that gems first that tournament will start but first then 3rd round will start I will accept payement too for occasional new entries.

skiffcz said:
Sidenote: I understand this to be a Xmas and onwards competition, right? (or so)... Im still a bit busy in the school now, but there will be plenty of time from half december till february for me to join some fun again ;)

It is OK beacuse first round will be not first then in january :)

Count me in. Some forum member had convinced me to do a full restart when the patch 1.13 comes out and i was reluctant to play since then. But i give up on the wait and this looks like a good excuse for that.

Diablo should be one of the 10 places to honour the big boss =). My next picks are Council and Cows.

Mah peekz:
1. Diablo
2. Council
3. Cows

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]
bassano
RIP
smokee
EightDigitSin
frozzzen
skiffboy (vanilla yeah)
NacRuno

Code:

Its totally time for a new MF tournament. 👍

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]
bassano
RIP
smokee
EightDigitSin
frozzzen
skiffboy (vanilla yeah)
NacRuno
Pyrohemia

Code:

1. Act III Jungle
2. Cows
3. WSK/Throne

Chaos Sanctuary or Diablo would be fun too.

For the entry fee I would much rather part with an Um rune than even 50 pgems. Pgems are my preciouses.

So win bank and you will have lot of them :)
50 should not be so huge problem I hope :)

Why not. Until January I hope to finish that necro I'm working on. This competition will make me motivated to do it :crazyeyes:
(unless he got killed *knocks in wood* )

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]
bassano
RIP
smokee
EightDigitSin
frozzzen
skiffboy (vanilla yeah)
NacRuno
Pyrohemia

Code:
buraz (HC)

Let me be first in non prize group.
So, 72h in which we can do runs as much as we can. I see some people will not sleep in that period :D

I choose to choose:
1. Pits
2. Pindle
3. Meph

Yes, lets find stuff. I`m just in it to beat RIP, though:whistling:

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]
bassano
RIP
smokee
EightDigitSin
frozzzen
skiffboy (vanilla yeah)
NacRuno
Pyrohemia
Thomh

Code:
buraz (HC)

My favourite places:
1. WSK
2. Pits
3. Moo Moo farm

You're welcome, my friend 👍

Its nice to have such competition...

I'll join the prize group, even though I'm sure my wife will suddenly demand my full undivided attention about 10 minutes into one of my 72 hour periods. :doh:

@Pyro: I bet you could find someone to pay 50 pgems for an Um..

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]
bassano
RIP
smokee
EightDigitSin
frozzzen
skiffboy (vanilla yeah)
NacRuno
Pyrohemia
Thomh
Rhone

Code:
buraz (HC)

I see WSK and Baal aren't getting much love here. :nono:

1. WSK + Throne
2. Baal
3. Pindle

I agree, but as soon as I have those new 50 pgems they become my preciouses too. :nod:

Then just send rock to someone and he will pay your entry :p
I can't wait this to start :D I'm to lazy MFing with nothing to encourage me ( like a bunch of YOU trying to steel my gems :p )

I'm in. I just hope we get a lot of notice before every area is announced, not just the two weeks beforehand. There are lots of places I can't run well because I don't have the characters for it (WSK, Baal, Council, non-traditional alvl85 areas, and even Countess!) so I'd have to have some time to build them.

I'll join buraz in the non-prize group.

Top three picks:
1) Pits
2) AT
3) Meph

Makes me glad I starting working on my LF zon, though, since I'm also hoping to see some major cow action.

Seems like a great idea, bassano. I bet we'll see some good competition all year. 👍

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]
bassano
RIP
smokee
EightDigitSin
frozzzen
skiffboy (vanilla yeah)
NacRuno
Pyrohemia
Thomh
Rhone

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM

@TRM: Do not worry beacuse first target will be some easier classic and I will announced all of them even with order on the start of year first then round one will start

I'm in. This should be great fun. It will also keep the forums active and hopefully the smack talk to a dull roar :)

I'm in for the prizes, I love the Pgem aspect as well.

Top three picks:
1) WSK
2) Council Members
3) Cows

👍

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]
bassano
RIP
smokee
EightDigitSin
frozzzen
skiffboy (vanilla yeah)
NacRuno
Pyrohemia
Thomh
Rhone
Rummski

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]
name                   PGems (Y/N)

bassano                    Y
RIP                        N
smokee                     N
EightDigitSin              N
frozzzen                   N
skiffboy (vanilla yeah)    N
NacRuno                    N
Pyrohemia                  N
Thomh                      N
Rhone                      N
Rummski                    N

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM

Beacuse 1.13 patch will be ready very soon and seems that most of players will upgrade to that, I decided to change tournament to 1.13 patch
Beacuse there are some differences in skills and drops , 1.12 players still can play there , even during tournament after some round they can upgraded to 1.13
Only 1.12 players will be in disadvantage in rune hunts but it is easier then make 2 different score lists for 1.12 and 1.13 and skills difference are not so huge to do some diefference in rules
Round one will be on the end of January so that should be enough time for having players with 1.13 patch

You will have nice possibility to try large scale of MF in new patch and you will have to chance find lot of items and runes beacuse council will be very probably as one target when it is so attractive :)

If you have some question, let me know

And if you think that tourney should be in 1.12 as was announced, let me know too :)

edit: RIP : ofc , we just spoke about that :)

My guess is, that 1.11 makes no difference compared to 1.12?...I mean no problems to play this version during the tourney?Otherwise i'm out, You know, Bass...

Sent you 50 [1.12a SC FAM] pgems bassano. Rather send it early than accidentally spend it :)

I'm interested, but I never joined a competition here before..
maybe this will be a good start. When will this begin?

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
ProtoMagus

This is awesome, count me in for the non-prize group! And as for my votes:

1) Pits
2) Pindle
3) Council

ares said:
I'm interested, but I never joined a competition here before..
maybe this will be a good start. When will this begin?

Tournament will start on January
Feel free to join , you are welcome :)

*Definitely not a bump so I can find it*

*10 chars lol*

Entry fee of 50 pgems [1.12a SC FAM] is sent. Notify if there is a problem bassano.

I hope the official patch comes out soon so that we can start the first round with it.

PGems recieved
I think that first round could be just with new patch beacuse I will set first round on the end of january

How much is the entry fee 50 pgems or 50 pgems per round? Cause i couldnt afford 50 for ten rounds.
MF league 2010 - Sign Up and discussion

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus

I'll join the Non-prize group since I am self-found only. Going on vacation for 2 weeks soon so hopefully I don't miss the first round (or come back late for it).

1) Pindle
2) Cows
3) WSK

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa

1) RoF + CS
2) Pits
3) AT

No prize group for me, to avoid any potential 1.13 influence.

Neck Romancer said:
How much is the entry fee 50 pgems or 50 pgems per round? Cause i couldnt afford 50 for ten rounds.

50 PGems is for hole tournament so it is not so hard :)

Count me in!! I mean I'm gonna be MF'n anyway, might as well try not to embarrass my self in the process :D
Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

junkie                     N

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
If I understand this right, your gonna choose 3 random targets from the list on the 1st post right? or are we taken a vote on what the players would like to run? Honestly, im gettin a lil sick of pindle,at,pits... But I'll follow the herd on this, what ever everyone decides is ok with me.

Players are voting for targets which they like to have in competition.
As description say, three of them with most votes will be on competition and 7 targets I will choose alone beacuse this competition will have 10 rounds and as I in description said, this I did beacuse I want to try some untraditional targets as maggots lair, council member mausoleum or kuurast temples so I think that you will have chance to find some interesting area for you, but as you prolly know I can not guarantee you that some traditional targets as AT or pindle will not be one of rounds :)

Just putting Nagisa back in the table
Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa

my bad. must have missed it or copied Myths code...thx potter ^^

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Neck Romancer              N

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa

Count me in. Im version 1.11 though, just letting you know in advance.

My three areas:
- AT
- Pits
- LK

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi

Why not, let's play.

My picks are:

1. Cows
2. WSK + Throne
3. RoF + CS

Sent 50 [1.12a HC FAM] PDiamonds

Code:
Perfect Diamond 
Required Level: 18 
Version: Expansion 1.10+ 
Weapons: +68% Damage to Undead 
Armor: +100 to Attack Rating 
Shields: Cold Resist +19% 
Lightning Resist +19% 
Fire Resist +19% 
Poison Resist +19%

really looking forward to the smack talk that is certain to come:)

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Jason Maher                N
Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi

3 areas: 1. Meph; 2. AT; 3. Pindle (my primary MF character is a Blizz sorc ;)).

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave

Sounds like a really cool idea, I'm about as broke as broke gets when it comes to pgems so I'll sit out of the prize group :(

Choices;
#1 = Diablo
#2 = Nithalak
#3 = Mausoleum

I have sent 50 1.12a SC FAM Pgems to Bassano. 25 Emeralds and 25 Sapphires. Can't wait for things to get rolling!

Code:
Number of Items : 50

1: Perfect Emerald
Can be Inserted into Socketed Items

Weapons: +99 poison damage over 7 seconds
Helms: +10 to Dexterity
Armor: +10 to Dexterity
Shields: Poison Resist +40%

Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion

2: Perfect Emerald

3: Perfect Emerald

4: Perfect Emerald

5: Perfect Emerald

6: Perfect Emerald

7: Perfect Emerald

8: Perfect Emerald

9: Perfect Emerald

10: Perfect Emerald

11: Perfect Emerald

12: Perfect Emerald

13: Perfect Emerald

14: Perfect Emerald

15: Perfect Emerald

16: Perfect Emerald

17: Perfect Emerald

18: Perfect Emerald

19: Perfect Emerald

20: Perfect Emerald

21: Perfect Emerald

22: Perfect Emerald

23: Perfect Emerald

24: Perfect Emerald

25: Perfect Emerald

26: Perfect Sapphire

Weapons: Adds 10-14 cold damage over 3 seconds
Helms: +38 to Mana
Armor: +38 to Mana
Shields: Cold Resist +40%

27: Perfect Sapphire

28: Perfect Sapphire

29: Perfect Sapphire

30: Perfect Sapphire

31: Perfect Sapphire

32: Perfect Sapphire

33: Perfect Sapphire

34: Perfect Sapphire

35: Perfect Sapphire

36: Perfect Sapphire

37: Perfect Sapphire

38: Perfect Sapphire

39: Perfect Sapphire

40: Perfect Sapphire

41: Perfect Sapphire

42: Perfect Sapphire

43: Perfect Sapphire

44: Perfect Sapphire

45: Perfect Sapphire

46: Perfect Sapphire

47: Perfect Sapphire

48: Perfect Sapphire

49: Perfect Sapphire

50: Perfect Sapphire

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

smokee                     Y
frozzzen                   Y
NacRuno                    Y
Thomh                      Y
Rhone                      Y
Rummski                    Y

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave

I updated table with PGems sent , If I forgot to someone, let me know
During start of next week I will set up all categories and Date when first round will be :)

Sent 50 gems bass. Too bad that I did not count that exam session will start now so I won't be able to compete like I would like :(

@bass:You've forgot myself, if i'm not mistaken, not sure if i can participate anyway...Next Year will be very busy, i guess...Is there any deadline for sending PGems?

Ahh,and You've not answered my question about 1.11 :scratchchin:

I thought you said you are out but no problem, I can insert you to table again
And ofc you can use 1.11 patch
sorry for late answer :)

I just wrote in some previous post, that if 1.11 will not be allowed, then i'm out...To be honest, i really don't know, how many parts of this tourney i can complete...Therefore i have to repeat my question...

Is there any deadline for sending pgems or not?Before first stage of the tourney?During the tourney?

Also, some more information about time schedule could help me to decide :whistling:

Information schedule will be on start next week or on weekend if i will have time
then you can decide and if you are not sure how many rounds you can complete, you can put your name into non price group and will be resolved for you :)
when you must sent gems is wrote on first post, I am lazy to search it now :)
I will let you know

O.k, i've tried to read it again and i didn't found any proper information about the time, till which must be Pgems sent...I might be blind, though...O.k, 50 pgems is not a big problem, so expect my gems tommorow...And sorry for causing You problems 😉

Bassano, how have you been? Are you still kicking *** in PvP? If your ever on irc let me know, i forgot the channel but i still have it.

Anyway I will be in this if I start playing again.

Also, am I correct in assuming that when MF league starts it will last approximately 90 days?

I'd like to tentatively add myself to the list of non-prize participants.

I say tentatively as I (well, my wife and I) have a baby arriving in the next week or so, so my amount of time here is going to rather uncertain, but I'd still like to try to participate.

I assume we're allowed to swap characters for each individual 72hr slot?

Also (for what it's worth), my 3 picks:

1) Diablo and CS
2) Mr Pindleskin
3) The council

Cheers,

EM

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Jason Maher                Y
Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo

A big thankyou to sectiplave for chopping me out of the table. ;) I'll get around to sending those pgems soon.

Edit: 50 pgems sent [1.12a SC FAM]:
Code:
Number of Items : 50

1: Perfect Amethyst

Weapons: +150 to Attack Rating
Helms: +10 to Strength
Armor: +10 to Strength
Shields: +30 Defense

2: Perfect Amethyst

Weapons: +150 to Attack Rating
Helms: +10 to Strength
Armor: +10 to Strength
Shields: +30 Defense

3: Perfect Skull

Weapons: 4% Life stolen per hit, 3% Mana stolen per hit
Helms: Regenerate Mana 19%, Replenish Life +5
Armor: Regenerate Mana 19%, Replenish Life +5
Shields: Attacker Takes Damage of 20

4: Perfect Skull

5: Perfect Diamond

Weapons: 68% Damage to Undead
Helms: +100 to Attack Rating
Shields: All Resistances +19

6: Perfect Diamond

7: Perfect Diamond

8: Perfect Diamond

9: Perfect Diamond

10: Perfect Diamond

11: Perfect Diamond

12: Perfect Diamond

13: Perfect Diamond

14: Perfect Diamond

15: Perfect Diamond

16: Perfect Diamond

17: Perfect Diamond

18: Perfect Emerald

19: Perfect Emerald

20: Perfect Emerald

21: Perfect Emerald

22: Perfect Ruby

Weapons: Adds 15-20 fire damage
Helms: +38 to Life
Armor: +38 to Life
Shields: Fire Resist +40%

23: Perfect Ruby

24: Perfect Ruby

25: Perfect Ruby

26: Perfect Ruby

27: Perfect Ruby

28: Perfect Ruby

29: Perfect Ruby

30: Perfect Ruby

31: Perfect Ruby

32: Perfect Ruby

33: Perfect Ruby

34: Perfect Skull

35: Perfect Sapphire

36: Perfect Sapphire

37: Perfect Sapphire

38: Perfect Sapphire

39: Perfect Sapphire

40: Perfect Sapphire

41: Perfect Sapphire

42: Perfect Sapphire

43: Perfect Topaz

Weapons: Adds 1-40 lightning damage
Helms: 24% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Armor: 24% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Shields: Lightning Resist +40%

44: Perfect Topaz

45: Perfect Topaz

46: Perfect Topaz

47: Perfect Topaz

48: Perfect Topaz

49: Perfect Topaz

50: Perfect Topaz

Sent my 50 [1.12a SC FAM] pgems.

I hope that this tournament starts soon because my attention is drifting away from d2.

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu

Added myself. I don't even think about spending 10x 72 hours on this, but at least I could try my luck.

My favourite categories:
AT
Pindle
Countess

OK
evening i will write all categories which will be on tourney
Voting for areas is just over

First 3 areas with most votes are :

1. Pindle 19 points
2. AT runs 18 points
3. Pit 16 points
-------------------------
4. WSK 15 points
5. Cow level 14 points
6. Diablo 12 points

So in tourney will be Pit , At and pindle runs
another 7 targets i will write on evening with complete schedule and date of first round :)

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
Fabian

I'm in :)

OK
I had enough time to do it now so I just completed list of targets :)

targets will be in this order during all year :

1. Pit
2. Mausoleum+Maggot Lair lvl 3 (area 85)
3. Cow level (rune hunt)
4. Diablo
5. Council members (rune hunt)
6. Pindleskin
7. Act III temples (area 85)
8. Ancient tunnels
9. Tal rasha tombs (rune hunt)
10. WSK + throne (without waves)

I had quite hard decision with this and if someone is disappointed that his favourite target is not there, do not be sad, if tourney will have success, I will change some targets for next year.
Order of targets I choosed to not have very difficult target on start and to have enough time to came on 1.13 patch if someone will want do that first then rune hunts will came.
So I am expecting your opinions to my choice :)

edit: I forgot to write date of first event

Round one (pit running) will be from friday 22nd January to Sunday 31th January

during that days you will have possibility to do your 72 hours :)
I will post thread with round one few days before 22nd January

Excellent work to this point Bassano! Can't wait to get things going!

For events with multiple areas do you have to clear all areas, or do you have your choice of running one, the other or some combination of all of the available areas?

If this event has a tyrael's drop, which was wont to occur in 2009 but may change now that it is 2010, I hope that it occurs in the maggot lair level 3. :crazyeyes:

Choice is ok, I have however one small question. I understand that it's quite late for changing rules, but what about allowing two pauses instead of one?

I mean, as I know ma playstyle, I will play two hours in the evening, with one pause, that's 4 hours, with two pauses, that's 6 hours - somewhat better. I am not able to take two twelve hours marathons anymore :coffee:

It seems to me that it would enable us (I mean working people, not PhD. students :whistling:) to manage our time better 😉

That would maybe average the gap between students and others. It seems more fair. I mean, the last MFO I won, it wasnt becouse I was better, I just didnt RL, htats it. But most of us cant afford this. I vote for 72 = x + y + z idea. ;)

p.s. - the categories seems great. I love inclusion of nonstandarD areas. Maggot lair ftw! :D

Fantastic categories, Bassano. I look forward to smashing Kaa`s face in the tombs over and over:)

However, I agree with the guys above me. It will certainly be a lot easier to manage the time if we had two pauses instead of one, but I understand it might be a little late to change it.

one small question - does anyone here happen to have lists of monsters in selected areas? Some of them can be found here ofc, but some nonstandard areas like tombs would require more research, and Im lazy bastard :D Im mainly after immunities to plan builds correctly ;)

TY in advance!

Sure.

BurnSkiffBurn
KillSkiffSoftly
GiebEarSkiff
BeZombieSkiff
etc.

All of them are waiting for you, their pockets full of green breats plates and El runes :whistling:

Edit: to skiff below - LOL :p

Its spelled Giev. Gieb use only lamers stuck behing me in Meph category. :girly:

edit: to Jingizu above - kdo se smeje naposled, ten ma nejvetsi lag :p

edit for others: solved, google for "Monster Resistances and Immunities Guide" ;)

No RoF + CS? :weep:

In any case, an interesting list for sure. Lots of areas never run by me and possibly many others as well. :). So many of them benefit 1.13 people though, but I guess that just makes victory much sweeter. 👅

Looking forward to it, bassano. Thanks in advance for hosting this.

Nice choice of targets. I specially love that first target is in Act 1 cause my only char is in Act5 Nm, so I will be able to enter hell before 1st round begins. *knocks in wood*.
I would also like to join that "give us more than 1 break from playing" whining crowd 😁, but I won't mind if you leave it as it is.

buraz: I`m looking forward to see how your necro will handle the maggot lair next round:)

@pyrohemia: on maggots lair + mausoleum you will know answer before start of round beacuse I will put thwere special rule for that event that your top score will be based from best 3 items from maggots and best 3 items fro mmausoleum :)
on WSK + throne is up to you :) , if you are good on wsk 2 feel free to run only that :)

nagisa: you have diablo target there, diablo and even RoF+CS is too much from act IV :)

to all: OK 2 pause instead of one is good for me so if osmeone have nothing againsit htat it is OK

No complaints from me. RL has a habit of getting in the way these days, so allowing a little more freedom seems like a generous allowance. Thanks!

...Still, looking at that list of areas, I'm really behind the 8-ball. I currently have zero characters or items after my last computer became unusable (I haven't even reinstalled the game yet!), so I have a lot of work ahead of me. Looks like a Poisonmancer could handle the first few targets, but it won't be enough.

Oh well! There's no better way to restock all those lost items than by participating in an MF tournament! 😉

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
Fabian
Jcakes

Nice choice of targets. I am not 100% sure if I will have the time for all the targets, but we will see what happens. I need something to motivate myself :)

I'm in exactly the same position. I only killed NM Diablo with my MF char last night.

I'd totally forgotten how long it takes to get "up and running" after a complete restart. My switch from HC to SC is taking ages to really get going...

edit: by the way, I love the idea of having rune hunts, as well as just looking for S/U.

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
Fabian
Jcakes
sequana

Ok, I'm in. Bassano forced me to join and promised to hit me in opposite case....j/k of course :).

I'm in non-prize group though, I'm not sure how much time I will have during this year (huge RL is going to start, I must finish PhD in half a year, I want to move to Finland then and find some post-doc position there also, so I expect to do some MF in real life : )).

Another thing, I prefer to keep 1.12a for now, but of course this can change in time.

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
Fabian
Jcakes
sequana

Removing myself from the table, at the end...Sorry for causing You problems, bass, You have my apology for that...

Reason - i have barely some free time to even see my family these days - working 4/5 days a week for twelfe hours and preparing myself for GPC republic championship (powerlifting), also mixed with RL problems its almost impossible to take part on this...Its bad because area choice seems to be very interesting...

Well, i've not played D2 for one or two months, so i really dont know, how to run anyway :whistling:

GL to all runners, especially to sequana, bass, jingizu and Thomh 👍

Edit:Forgot to mention skiff aswell!

No you understood bad what I said to you , I would torture you up to your promise to sign up in other case :devil: (ok stop kidding :D )

RIp : no problem I wish you good luck in your RL :)

I am not bumping this :whistling:

Hey, bassano. How bout you edit in first post targets that have been selected, and correct changed rule about 3 breaks instead of 2?
This friday is the day, right? :nod:

edit: now I realised that this is "signup and discussion thread", so I'll confess: this post is a bump :hammerhead:

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Pyrohemia                  Y

OK here is current price table to MFO league so I am still missing PGems from :

EightDigitSin
SkiffCZ
junkie
Neck Romancer

(If someone from you just sent it and I did not saw it, let me know)

If someone new still want to join price group , he have time to do that up to start of round 3 (first rune hunt)

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
Fabian
Jcakes
sequana
bcoe

I'm in. I don't know how long I'll be able to participate (RL is expected to get extremely busy in the next weeks-to-months), but I'll go as long as I can.

Whack me in the non prize section please. It'll be nice to get out of the WSK. Assuming I can find the WPs to other Acts.

Just sent 50 Pgems your way sir. Looking forward to friday

I'd like to join as well. I already PM'd bassano, but I forgot to mention that I'll be in the non-prize group.

I would love to participate, not sure how good I will be or how much time I can dedicate to it, but it will give me a good reason and motivator to work on MFing and stick to doing alot of runs. Also updated the code table since some people were slacking on that, it should be right now as far as I can tell.

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

EightDigitSin              N (Y?)
Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
Fabian
Jcakes
sequana
bcoe
Thyiad
nubikoen
Burningbman

I will be taking part in the prize section, will get my 'secretary' um I mean Thyiad to send entry fee and put me in the table today. My barbarians are all ready to go find some more leet loot!!!

Mungo will have plenty of time to participate during his temp ban. :p

:unimpressed:

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Mungo                      Y
Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
Fabian
Jcakes
sequana
bcoe
Thyiad
nubikoen
Burningbman

I am in, although I am not sure how many hours my wife will afford me...

Hmm, I seem to have given away all my pgems and flawless too. Oh well, I :yuck: cubing.

@EatSleepDiablo - nothing inside quotes gets quoted by the next person. I.E. please don't leave tables in quotes, they disappear.

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
Fabian
Jcakes
sequana
bcoe
Thyiad
nubikoen
Burningbman
EatSleepDiablo
jjscud

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Fabian                     Y
Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
Jcakes
sequana
bcoe
Thyiad
nubikoen
Burningbman
EatSleepDiablo
jjscud

Decided to switch to the prize group, as it just seems more fun to have some additional incentive. I haven't started running yet, just for the record.. ;)

ah, more pgems for me:)

How will HC players will be receiving their prizes if they win? I think only Rummski and Thomh are HC in prize group

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

EightDigitSin              Y
Pyrohemia                  Y
Neck Romancer              Y

Here is a competition table
so only skiffslacker and junkie and will be OK :)

Well, my guess is that we can only lose:) I don`t have any problems with that, but Bassano might have other plans for us. If I win, I will take the pgems no matter what and swim naked in them.

Yeah I have other plans for you, I must have morep oints then you to solve this problem :D
If you will be 3rd I can give you 2 sets of HC PGems but if you will be better you will have some SC one. You can trade them or I can add you some ilvui 94 or 99 GC to have chance roll from that some nice skiller to trade him for somethink HC :)

For this I will be SC, and the gems I sent are SC, if I put HC that is a typo.

imma sign up tonight, non-prize category. i need a griff's and this is a great way to get it...and 17 bers

Decided to make a late entry into the non-prize group. I don't expect to be competitive (particularly with the 72 hour time window), but it's good motivation to do some different runs. PM'd Bassano and got the go ahead, so count me in :)

Hey guys,

Just to let you know, i'll be joining in as a non-prize participant. PM'ed Bassano the other day to get the 'all clear'.

Goodluck! 👍

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
Sectiplave
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
sequana
bcoe
Thyiad
nubikoen
Burningbman
EatSleepDiablo
jjscud

Sorry guys I have to pull out, my laptop died on the weekend along with all my characters and stashes (I haven't been backing up because I was planning a restart when 1.13 is live.
I may compete in some of the later targets once I have a new computer/fix my old one and once 1.13 is in final version.

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
sequana
bcoe
Thyiad
nubikoen
Burningbman
EatSleepDiablo
jjscud

I'm going to have pull out also, work is pretty taxing at this time of a year and in all honesty I've been neglecting my health and my partner so it's time to buck up my ideas. Also I've got a Warhammer 40K tournament coming up and my army needs a lot of painting work, I think I'll be lucky to get 5 hours D2 per week tops over the coming month. Then I'm on holiday for a month and going out of town the entire time.

Round one is over so here is order of MFO league

1. Thomh 5 points
2. Fabian 4 points
3. NeckRomancer 3 points

4. EightDigitSin 2 points
5. Pyrohemia 1 point
6. jjscud
7. jingizu
8. EatSleepDiablo
9. Kefka
10. Rhone

from price group just all players sent me a PGems (only skiffcz not :whistling:) So I wish yll of you good luck to another round in battle for PGems bank :)

Round 2 is over and order changed thanks to points recieved by some players.
We have some new names on top of table :)

1. Fabian 7 points
2. jjscud 5 points
3. Thomh 5 points
4. frozzzen 4 points
5. NeckRomancer 3 points

6. EightDigitSin 2 points
6. Mungo 2 points
8. Pyrohemia 1 point
8. Jason Maher 1 point

all players have lot of time yet to do a difference in score list so gogo :)

has there been any news on this one in a while?
do we know what the next round is? i've heard cows.

It's cows, yeah. The list bassano posted is on an earlier page of this thread.

I hope it starts soon, so dull to wait so long between rounds :)

missed that page :scratchhead:...
act 2 tomb runs should be interesting..and fast...and productive!

I will put sign thread for nex round up to end of this week-end
so from next week-end will be up first rune hunt :)

is it too late for me to sign up for this? the idea interests me and it would be good to run different places apart from meph/pindle all the time :p

First rune hunt is over and here is a table again :)

1. Fabian 10 points
2. Pyrohemia 6 point
3. frozzzen 6 points
4. jjscud 5 points
5. Thomh 5 points

6. bcoe 4 points
7. NeckRomancer 3 points
8. EightDigitSin 2 points
8. Mungo 2 points
10. Jason Maher 1 point
10. ZeN 1 point

For now looks like it will be nice battle.
I should do somethink with it too
I am looking for next round :whistling:

Wow.... my first point (especially since I didn't take part in the first 2 rounds)...

What's next?

Rounds you can see here
only council and cows are changed beacuse I did mistake

Ah... pindie.... old buddy is next. Awesome. I wouldn't mind a DF. Schaeffer would also be nice.

EDIT:

wait, you mean you switched Cows and Council places.... that means Diablo is next?

Damn... I hate CS. It bores me. But I guess I would run it.

Diablo is next, yes. Then Cows, then Pindle. All of those should be fun I think :)

Any dates set for next round yet bassano?

Pindle and fun shouldn't be in the same sentence. Or, in your case, line.

Fabian : next round should be during 2-3 weeks , I must do score list yet beacuse it is somethink new and I must calculate it according to ATMA drop calculator :)

so I hope it will be not soon for you and others during only 2-3 weeks

Zen : next round is diablo

Well the sooner the better I say :) I look forward to these a lot, thanks again for hosting!

One question though. Diablo means that scores are being taken strictly from big D himself or is it RoF + CS + D?

Cause if it's only big D scoring system should be very different from RoF and CS combined with D (one in lvl85 area and another is boss). I have more enjoyment in clearing areas then running single target so I'm interested in that.

98% sure it's just Big D.

I'd say that separating finds from Big D himself and those in CS is too much hustle (I am that lazy), so we should just go CS + D. But that probably makes bassano's life even harder, so...

Unless there is some way of killing D without clearing CS that I forget. Don't you have to open all the seals and kills all seal-keeper uniques?

*The above show how little have I ran Diablo in my DII career*

Just a suggestion Bassano, to make your life easier. why not use the already existing Baal csv file to score Diablo's drops and the Area 85 csv file to score drops from the rest of the Chaos Santuary including the seal bosses should they be included as well.

mungo: this round is based only for diablo killing
chaos sanctuary was another target which was not choosed
I will chceck diablo drops and maybe even seal drops and I will do new score list
it is matter of one hour, I will have time for that
but thanks for another opinion

Ony Diablo kills!!!!!dread to think what my run times will be.

**runs off to look at build guides**

Finally found some time forD2. Added myself in non-prize section (hope I am allowed to do it now)

Here is MF league table after round 4
Fabian did very large step and only jjscud was able to stay close :)
but still 6 runs to go

1. Fabian 14 points
2. jjscud 10 points
3. Pyrohemia 6 point
4. frozzzen 6 points
5. Thomh 5 points

6. bcoe 5 points
7. Thyiad 3 points
7. NeckRomancer 3 points
9. Kimppi 2 points
9. EightDigitSin 2 points
9. Mungo 2 points
12. Jason Maher 1 point
12. ZeN 1 point

Code:
[B]Prize Group Table[/B]

Pyrohemia                  [highlight]N?[/highlight]
Code:
buraz (HC)
TRM
Myth
ProtoMagus
Nagisa
Kimppi
EmperorMoo
Jingizu
sequana
bcoe
Thyiad
nubikoen
Burningbman
EatSleepDiablo
jjscud
HappeningKT (HC)

I am wondering whether you ever received my pgems that I sent long ago (before the first round) because I am marked down as 'N'. I am no longer playing D2, and hence no longer participating, so this is in actual fact mostly inconsequential to me but the other prize participants will want to have the full prize pool.

P.S. Someone needs to dethrone Fabian. :whistling:

Still haven't won one of these you know, though I also haven't finished below top 3. I won't let anyone dethrone me, especially not in next two rounds as I'm pretty happy with my cow runner and very very happy with my Pindle runner (24.5 sec average with ~600 MF and 53% hork, with lots of stats and skills left unspent). After that things might get dicier though, don't like any of the other categories that's left.

I recieved your PGems for 100%
it is some bad updated table beacuse only players who did not sent PGems were skiffcz and junkie I think
as you can see here
someone prolly quoted bad table, you can see it 2-4 post after that table

Tomorrow I am leaving for holidays which I will spent on bicycle in kurdistan (east turkey) and I will be there up to start of August
round 5 will host (if nothing came to him) my friend from my account during july so be good with him :D
good luck to all :)

Here is MF league table after round 5

You are on half of MF maraton so do not lose you chance to win somethink

1. Fabian 16 points
2. jjscud 10 points
3. Thomh 8 points
4. Pyrohemia 6 point
5. frozzzen 6 points

6. bcoe 5 points
6. EatSleepDiablo 5 points
8. rummski 4 points
9. Thyiad 3 points
9. NeckRomancer 3 points
11. Kimppi 2 points
11. EightDigitSin 2 points
11. Mungo 2 points
14. Jason Maher 1 point
14. ZeN 1 point
14. HappeningKT 1 point

Hey, can anyone tell me what are the targets left in the tourney. I joined a bit late and recently lost all my chars except a blizz sorc due to a virus. I'll have to build my wealth and chars again.
Thanks in advance.

Next is act3 temples, followed by AT, Tal Rasha`s Tombs and WSK. I`m really looking forward to 3 of them, but the I dread the temples.

Another round is over, you have 4 rounds yet to final result, lot of PGems is still here and points are very close, Fabian is leader even he are not playing anymore so he maybe will win in memoria :)
So gogo for last rounds which are very interesting

1. Fabian 16 points
2. jjscud 10 points
3. Thomh 8 points
4. bcoe 8 points
5. Pyrohemia 6 point
5. frozzzen 6 points

7. EatSleepDiablo 5 points
7. forbidenorc 5 points
7. HappeningKT 5 points
7. rummski 5 points
11. Thyiad 3 points
11. NeckRomancer 3 points
13. Kimppi 2 points
13. EightDigitSin 2 points
13. Mungo 2 points
13. scrcrw 2 points
17. Jason Maher 1 point
17. ZeN 1 point

I'm most (well, more) excited about the temples and tombs. I got bored out of my mind running pindle and decided it was an utter waste of time (only took a few minutes) but having never ran either of those they are a bit more interesting to me, strategies and maps and builds and all that, basically everything that pindle lacked.

Then again, I'm just starting up with school again and less time + little motivation probably doesn't equal more playing.

A good deal of light, fire, and cold resists in the temples.

Thinking about either a poison necro or windy...

I repaired 1 point to rummski due to his late sended results

Even if very few players played round 7 , score list of MF league started to be more interesting again beabuse bcoe is going to be close to top of league, 3 rounds to go and still lot of points to do so good luck to everyone in next rounds.

1. Fabian 16 points
2. bcoe 12 points
3. jjscud 10 points
4. Thomh 8 points
5. Mungo 7 points

6. Pyrohemia 6 point
6. frozzzen 6 points
8. EatSleepDiablo 5 points
8. forbidenorc 5 points
8. HappeningKT 5 points
8. rummski 5 points
8. Kimppi 5 points
13. Thyiad 3 points
13. NeckRomancer 3 points
15. EightDigitSin 2 points
15. scrcrw 2 points
17. Jason Maher 1 point
17. ZeN 1 point

Here is a table after round 8 and it seems that Fabian is quite winner but battle for 2nd place will be very interesting yet so I am waiting for round 9 which will be very decisive for that

1. Fabian 21 points
2. bcoe 12 points
3. jjscud 10 points
4. EatSleepDiablo 9 points
4. Mungo 9 points

6. Thomh 8 points
7. Pyrohemia 6 point
7. frozzzen 6 points
9. forbidenorc 5 points
9. HappeningKT 5 points
9. rummski 5 points
9. Kimppi 5 points
13. Kestegs 3 points
13. Thyiad 3 points
13. NeckRomancer 3 points
16. EightDigitSin 2 points
16. scrcrw 2 points
18. Kefka 1 point
18. Jason Maher 1 point
18. ZeN 1 point

btw. I calculated PGems bank and from players including my 50 PGems I recieved 700 PGems

So according to that

1st price is 420 PGems
2nd is 210 PGems
3rd is 70 PGems

List of players which are in competition part is this:

bassano
smokee
EightDigitSin
frozzzen
NacRuno
Pyrohemia
Thomh
Rhone
Rummski
Neck Romancer
Jason Maher
Mungo
Fabian
Viridia

SO for PGems prices for now :

1. Fabian 21 points
2. Mungo 9 points
3. Thomh 8 points

4. Pyrohemia 6 point
4. frozzzen 6 points

If I did some mistake and someone else sent me PGems and I for some reason did not recieved them, write me a PM

I have some quick thoughts/suggestions for next year's tournament, if this will happen again:

First, I think it would make sense to have the tournament last for a shorter time, perhaps 6 months or even 3 months, most likely with fewer rounds per "season". Having it for an entire year has made lots of people lose interest I think, maybe because they didn't do so well in the early rounds, maybe because they didn't participate in the early rounds and saw no reason to get into it later on.

The fun part of this, just like the regular Magic Find Olympics, is the competition. The more people putting in effort, the more fun it will be for everyone, I think. Keeping the tournament shorter would, I think, help people maintain interest and put in their best effort. The regular Magic Find Olympics is just one "round", after all, not 10, and I think it's fair to say those tournaments are more popular than this one has been.

The second thing I want to comment on is how much time to spend on each round. I don't like the "x hours of running, then you're done" method. What it does, I think, is make the competiton seem all about luck. After all, if there's a cap on how much time I can put in, the only way I can get an "edge" is by building an efficient runner. When there's no cap on time, you have both running efficiency and effort put in as factors you can control, making the effect of luck lower.

I actually really liked how we did round 1, The Pits. It wasn't a run-as-much-as-you-can-all-week type thing like the regular Magic Find Olympics, but it was a (imo) very nice hybrid between the two. I would suggest something along those lines for future possible MF League tournaments, or basically any variant that's not "x hours, then you're done".

Let me know your thoughts, everyone. How could this be organized to make you more likely to try winning it? I think this tournament has been really fun, and I would guess that's a big part of why I've been doing quite well in it (obviously a very healthy bit of luck as well), I've looked forward to every round I've played. I would love it if more people felt that way next year :)

My two cents...

I agree with Fabian that this has dragged on a bit but RL gets in the way of things so it is understandable.

However, I do think that a reasonable time limit is worthwhile. Otherwise the full time student or individuals without the responsibilities of a FT job and kids/family can expend huge amounts of time to collect the best loot.

Time limits force efficiencies and use of optimum runners and keeps the playing field even.

Luck will always play a part, but all you have to do is look at the MFO results each year to see the time inequities. [As an aside Fabian, your score would win the MFO in most years and mine (@16.5 hours) would usually place top 5.]

The one change I would make is to force everyone to contribute PGems or whatever the prize. Enrich the pot to such a degree that people have something to play for and that they are fully vested in the tournament.

A suggestion: have participants kick in full sets (Tals, IK, Nats, Trangs), godly rares, or coveted runes, charms, & jewelry. New people to the board would very much like a chance to get gg items, keeping the level of participation up and competition fierce.

I personally like the longer tourney. It's a nice change from the one-hit MFO. :)

I think the dropouts are due to:
  • people signing up for one round then not bothering again (as in not sending results rather than finding rubbish) - I'd like them removed from the tables
  • being unable to have any hope of getting in the top three so they don't see the point of running

Suggestion:
  • Perhaps change from 20 hours to x runs.
That would still be fair to those guys who aren't running very fast (due to character/gear) but would keep a cap to reign in those who otherwise would run solid for 10 days.
  • Perhaps remove anyone who is not in the prize section from the point scoring; or have two tables one for prizes and one not?

I admit I'm not a great runner but I enjoyed the Pentathon of a few years back and while my results have been dire, I have enjoyed this. Thanks to bassano for his work in running it.

I also have really enjoyed this tournament. Unfortunately, for me, life got in the way of the last 2 rounds. I'm really looking forward to the Magi hunt next round.

I also like the number of runs over amount of time. That allows for a much more laxed play time. It seems more fun, rather than squeezing every half second you can.

I understand not limiting the tourney from players that don't want to pay an entry, but I also feel that their score should be separate. I realize that's a bit more work for Bassano, but they really aren't a part of the "competition" in my opinion.

Like I said I hope to have more time for the final 2 rounds and maybe sneak into the top 5, and I'm excited to see where we can take this in it's next iteration.

+1 to the the idea of x runs. To expand on that idea, perhaps categories of x number of runs, like the 200 runs class and the 1000 runs class (or differing numbers based on target - Pindle would be different than Baal).

I have a suggestion on a round - the 5 boss run. Andarial, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo and Baal - take them all out in one run. Runs take a bit longer and you'd need a pretty well rounded character to get it done.

Firstly thank you to Bassano for running this tournament, I personally love these competitions, and having one round a month to look forward too.

I also like the idea of X number of runs, would make it far more relaxed and even the playing field between different builds.

I would like to see separate tables for prize and non prize players, and for players to of taken part in at least three rounds for there points to count.

Congrats to Fabian on his win, and good luck to all those fighting it out with me for second place. 👅

I really hate the x runs idea, and would vasly prefer even a fixed amount of time to it, but I kinda see where you guys are coming from. Takes all the fun of optimizing characters out of the equation though, which would probably be a dealbreaker to me.

"After all, if there's a cap on how much time I can put in, the only way I can get an "edge" is by building an efficient runner. When there's no cap on time, you have both running efficiency and effort put in as factors you can control, making the effect of luck lower."

It seems to me, that the "x runs" method would completely nullify the efficiency aspect, and also the effort aspect. What's left is "how much MF can I cram on my character (edit: add "while still doing p7 full clears") and "luck". Or, in the case of rune hunts, it'd be nothing but "luck". Seems pretty miserable to me to be honest.

Changing to "x" runs would make sense if we extended the # of days involved (i.e. 2,000 AT runs allowed for the month of Sept).

If we stay with a 10 day format, limits of runs or time is simply semantics, unless the run #s are drastically reduced (i.e. 500 Pindle runs max), which I am not in favor of. Leisure running is fine, but going to the lowest common denominator defeats the purpose of MF tournament.

What I am curious about is why more people havent got involved in the tournament. Many, many more MFers are out there than participate, and it doesnt cost anything. Heck I would be happy to kick in Tals ammy, +3 GMB, or Vex to juice up a prize pool if that is what people wanted...

EatSleepDiablo said:
...If we stay with a 10 day format, limits of runs or time is simply semantics, unless the run #s are drastically reduced (i.e. 500 Pindle runs max), which I am not in favor of. Leisure running is fine, but going to the lowest common denominator defeats the purpose of MF tournament. ...

If this were to be implemented I do think that this would have to be taken into consideration. I don't want to take away the dedication it takes for these MF events, but I also don't want to completely eliminate those that cannot completely immerse themselves in the event.

Obviously this is just discussion, if nothing were to change I'll still be donating my gems next year :)

(I'm waiting to congratulate Fabian until the tourney is over :p )

I will agree with fabian in saying that "x runs" is a bad idea, I just think that it cheapens the whole experience. MFL for me is putting into practice the efficiency of D2 MF runs. It makes the most sense to do runs in the most time efficient manner IMO. I wouldn't do full p8 clears with 1000mf normally on an AT run, because its just not the fastest way to get good items, but If you turned it into: everyone gets X runs, that would be the best choice.

I really think that what we have now is a good balance for most the different amounts of playtime that people have. I certainly could have finished the full 20 hours this last round, but didn't really feel like it, probably mostly as this was my first round and I had no chance of winning a spot in the tournament anyways.

We already have unlimited time/runs MFOs. Why must every competition cater to those who can sit and run 16 hours a day?

Whenever someone asks about MF they're always told speed > MF. So really right now a lot of the MFing has nothing to do with skill or luck or optimization, it's down to who have the time to do unlimited runs quickly. That's why x runs might be a refreshing change.

A competition which makes you hit different targets (like this and the Pentathon or the idea of hitting all bosses) makes you optimize more.

A set number of runs makes you optimize more. Do you go high player settings? Do you pile on 1000k MF or take the view that anything over 200 isn't worth the effort? That's about choices, not just doing what you do in every MFO.

Maybe add in a more fluid score system too. Anyone who doesn't send in results for three rounds doesn't have their score count for any rounds with the points going down the line. To reward those who do put in a lot of effort not just sign up for one round and who are never heard of again.

I have to admit I'd like to see some new blood joining - and staying in - MF competitions. Maybe a different approach would encourage that. EDIT: And maybe encourage a wider range of chars too. Be nice to see a MFing Druid or something.

"A set number of runs makes you optimize more. Do you go high player settings? Do you pile on 1000k MF or take the view that anything over 200 isn't worth the effort? That's about choices, not just doing what you do in every MFO."

This seems backwards to me. A set number of runs doesn't encourage optimization or running efficiency. In fact, I can't see how it encourages any choices at all. Using your time well isn't an issue when doing a set number of runs, so going high player settings, and cramming on 1000 MF, is always strictly better than not doing it, pretty much by definition. It takes away choices, not adds them.

To clarify further, "do I go 60 second p1 runs with 250 MF or 90 second p7 runs with 120 MF? Which is going to serve me better?" is a choice. In a set number of runs scenario, those questions are already answered for you (the answer being "120 second p7 run with 250 MF").

Fabian said:
cramming on 1000 MF, is always strictly better than not doing it, pretty much by definition.

No it isn't. Unless you enjoy dying every run. Speed > MF. Survivability > MF.

In my view the unlimited tourney (like the MFO) requires less skill than the limited one. It favours players like yourself who have the time/inclination to do unlimited runs quickly. An x number of runs tourney wouldn't favour that type of player so much. That doesn't mean the tourney requires less effort, it means it' doesn't favour you. :)

I'm really interested in the views of those who participate less or haven't participated in MFO's for whatever reason. What would encourage you to join and keep you competing in every round? What puts you off at the moment?

If people don't keep competing or new players join MF tourneys then there isn't going to be much of an interest in joining or reading about them. That would be to the detriment of all. So I'm hoping some of the non-regulars of MFO's will post with their view. :)

I'm not arguing what type of player this type of format would favor. I'm saying that in this type of format, if your goal is to optimize your chance to win, more MF will by definition be the only thing that matters, because things like speed, efficieny, and yes even survivability don't matter. I don't even really understand how you can argue differently to be honest, do you not you agree that someone who spends 20 hours doing x runs with 500 MF and dies 85 times will have a greater chance to win than someone who spends 10 hours doing x runs with 200 MF?

Again, not really arguing what's good or bad, I'm just describing how the strategy for a format like this would look like, and MF will always trump everything else if your goal is to win. If you're not looking for the optimal strategy, sure Speed > MF, and Survivabiliy > MF, but that seems beside the point to me.

In a fixed run number scenario, I would use 800+ MF budget trapper everywhere and win, while not dying even once.

:)

What is a solution for leveling the start line is imo fixed running time, but make sure everyone (or majority) can approach the limit. Say 7-10 hours during full week? This way, the best runner wins, not the one with most small MF charms or "student" with loads time on his hands. You still have to aim for overal ballanced effeciency without having to run 25/8 till your eyes detonate.

Someone will maybe point out, that 7 hours is "too luckish", but I disagree - over say 10 rounds it is total of 70 hours (equivalent of 10k pindleruns), which is enough for big numbers theory to kick in Id say.

Not that I participated (student life can be awfuly restricting, too), just felt like scattering few thoughts around ;)

Hail to the winners, boo to the loosers (true MFO spirit :D )

I don't even really understand how you can argue differently to be honest

That.

Set number of runs is bad, bad idea. You don't have to care about killing speed at all. You can load extreme amount of MF and get hope for the best. In MFO you have to decide and balance between killspeed and MF, survivabiliy aside in order to get best unique item/run ratio. If you can do Pit run in 2 minutes with 500 MF or in 1 minute with 200 MF or whatever, it's for you to decide and balance it out.

In competitions that have set amount of runs you only have to worry about your MF. Not really optimizations of any kind.

In my view the unlimited tourney (like the MFO) requires less skill than the limited one.

That might be so, since you can't really compete with someone that can pull out 6000 Pit runs in 10 days if you can do only 1000.
Obviously person that put more effort will win (unless Tyrael's appear :p) and it's the way it should be.
But what it takes in unlimited time tourneys is optimization. Compromises in killspeed and MF. In limited time you really don't have to worry about killspeed since run number is already set in stone and you can go all about MF. Add in barb for horking and you are in big advantage.

Speed > MF. Survivability > MF

You are not fun at all :p
My Chaos Sanct runner.

Killspeed > MF > Survivability :whistling:

As a person who never took part in a MFO / MF League, but would like to, I thought I would put in my $0.02.

Why don't I participate in a MFO? Basically I don't like to spend 120 hours in a week to run a single target. It takes fun out of it for me. I like some diversity. Not to mention, I like to hold on to hope of having a life outside of this game.

With this respect, I like the time limit of the MF League. I agree with Fabian and frozzzen that #runs limitation would completely change the competition and not in the way I like.

Having said that, MF League format is far from good. It's spread over the entire year; it's hard to expect anyone to be able to participate in all the competitions. And it's much harder to join later in the year.

Here are some changes that I would see as possible improvements:
(1) Scoring could be dependent on character class of the MFer (sorc scores lower than druid, etc.)
(2) Divide the league into 3 parts (winter/summer/fall, 4 months each, or something); Each part of the season would have a winner, and there'd be a winner for the entire year too. That would allow for some fresh blood to pour in.
(3) More flexibility inside the rounds. (7-10 hours over 2-3 weeks?)

Even though I'm not planning on giving up D2 anytime soon, I'm somewhat skeptical of entering a competition that I know will take up an entire year.

--Greebo

My .02 DKK

I'm on the time > runs team as well. It is just more balanced.

I look forward to the MFL2011 but I can't see me competing in much more than half of the rounds. I find the 20 hours within a couple of weeks quite limiting. RL tend to interfer all too often.

A way to circumvent this could be by letting the MFL2011 consist of two parts:
Long run MFing and short run MFing.
The long run part takes place over a quarter. Each quarter features a top choice MF target (AT, Pindle, Meph...) During a quarter you'll have, say, 100 hours to find the godliest loot on the planet. Ppl are spending a huge amount of time on these targets anyway, so why not let them enter the competition with no extra time cost involved?

The short run part is more like the current setup but with a much lower time limit, say, 5-8 hours. The targets here could be a more varied perhaps: Duriel, Normal D (with a max clvl) and other targets not normally run by ppl.

A scoring system which includes godly rare, complete sets and other novelties would be a useful addition as well.

//D7

Greebo said:
(1) Scoring could be dependent on character class of the MFer (sorc scores lower than druid, etc.)

Oh noes. That would be like saying that jews are less human then christians. I mean this may as well be true, but who is gonna standardize that? There were attempts throughout the whole history and they all failed in the end. Add Enigma, OP Windys, Horkers, telebombing necros, Infinite LFzons in certain areas etc etc and the whole thing becomes NP-hard really easily.

Greebo said:
(2) Divide the league into 3 parts (winter/summer/fall, 4 months each, or something); Each part of the season would have a winner, and there'd be a winner for the entire year too. That would allow for some fresh blood to pour in.

Or, make the scoring take into consideration just points from best 3 rounds ...

Greebo said:
(3) More flexibility inside the rounds. (7-10 hours over 2-3 weeks?)

Yup, more or less what I suggested. Altough it seems that it wont be supereasy decision neither, since I mention 2-3times densier running (for me, it would be ok, clearly not for you for example) :) It would be interesting to run a poll to estimate what "doable amount over time" means for different people 👍

skiffcz said:
Oh noes. That would be like saying that jews are less human then christians. I mean this may as well be true, but who is gonna standardize that? There were attempts throughout the whole history and they all failed in the end. Add Enigma, OP Windys, Horkers, telebombing necros, Infinite LFzons in certain areas etc etc and the whole thing becomes NP-hard really easily.

OK, I would just like to point out, that I didn't say anything of the sort (with references to the real world).

It was just an idea, and possibly not the best one. But you make an interesting point:

- For any area, we can subtract a bit (10-20% for using a Sorc or 'Enigma').
- For running cows we can subtract 10-20% for using 'Infinity', etc.

What I'm trying to say, is that we can adjust the rules a bit. Or not. I'm not sure I like what I'm writing myself, I just thought I'd share.

--Greebo

skiffcz said:
Oh noes. That would be like saying that jews are less human then christians. I mean this may as well be true, but who is gonna standardize that?

I have no idea what this has to do with a discussion which was focused on:
* improving participation in MF competitions
* reducing the number of drop-outs
* ensuring a lively competition within the SPF in the future rather than competitions dying out due to lack of interest.

If you want to make statements such as you made above, don't do it here.

I am back from week-end spent in frozen tundra so I should put some my responds

First I appologize for not really good organizing of this tournament during all year, On the end of the 2009 I was too excited to put this tournament on and 2010 was not exactly my best D2 year beacuse my RL changed a lot. But I always tried to do best in each round.

You are right that it was too long, 10 rounds is really too much. I should suppose that lot of players will never ran so much but it was at least lesson for me for next tournaments.

Idea like MF pentathlon of jjscud 2-3 years ago is much better.
And I should change a format little bit for next time I think.

I like sevenOfDiamonds´s idea of 2 different types of targets but that targets should be even scored by different amount of points.

As I read lot of comments about type of running (time,number of runs,unlimited time,..) I am not in fanclub of number of runs beacuse this option do not let any chance to make a difference for players which are running faster and more effective. Ofc it is not really good for players which have not so great chars for some of targets or slower MFers but reason why I like idea of competition is that best will win. I liked 20 hours beacuse it gives you enough possibility to do a difference (e.g. Diablo running is a lot of dependent on your skill beacuse someone is able to do run during 70 seconds and someone need more), and even to players which are not so fast and they have not so much RL time, 20 hours of running could put them to top if they will have luck.
For that reason faster players will have more chance to win, but still he need some luck. But I do not like to have competition based only on luck especially when you put some bid into bank.
That bid say: OK I believe that I am strong enough to compete with best runners on SPF so I will put PGems on bank and I will challenge them and I will have more chance if I will be faster and stronger.
That system which was used during pit runs was not bad I think but it is true that someone is playing something like 30 minutes morning then 30 minutes evening and for this players that system is bad.
I think that 20 hours is quite ballanced.

ANd you must take in care that for uber running we have MFO twice for year so it let some weeks after that impossible for uber running, at least for MFO competitors

And two separated tables of competitors and not competitors seemed too bad for me , especially when I saw scorelist of some targets, but this I can change this is only about opinion so if players will want to have that, no problem for me

And from scorelist you can see some thoughts:

Fabian won
because was exactly best (faster, most ocmpetitive during all year) but from 40 points possible he have 21 which is not impossible number

Mungo showed that you do not need to run a lot, you do not need uber chars and you do not need to be extra fast and you can be among best players. He exactly did what was necesary for success.

jjscud: he did few rounds and he is also on top beacuse he know how to run some of targets
bcoe: also did not put so huge effort to be in top5

exxactly you only must find what is your strong part, for this was that competition
special 85 areas like maggots lair+mausoleum and ACT III temples were very decisive beacuse only few players were able to challenge this
pit showed how that tournament should be, rune hunts was very nice I think , lot of drops we saw

In some point it was not so useless MF tournament
Only next time should be shorter

I will read all comments cerafully when I will have more time tomorrow and I will think about next year :)
SO thanks to all for comments

And I once again appologize to players which gave PGems and did nto recieved fun which they looked for (not players which gave gems and did not ran not even one round beacuse it is only their fauls :p)

last comment: @nagisa: your CS runner will die immediatelly when you will open seal with infector of souls so you will never kill diablo so will never find any qualifier :D

Ok, I admit I have been rumbled:whistling:, I have not used any Uber gear so far in the MFL. My chars have only been lvl 96,95,94 and I have only been using eBOTD, CoH, Fort, Pride, Infinity, Beast, Grief, Death etc:smug:, plus I have only ran for 20hrs out of 20hrs in every round.:crazyeyes:
With round 9 approaching I have decided to make an Uber Frenzy Barb, based around Tyreals Might and dual Butchers Pupils.👍 I may even give the merc an Insight if I can find the runes in time.With any luck this will mean I shall only have to run for 19hrs59mins59secs of the 20hrs to keep me in with a chance of second place.:alright:

I only participated in a one MF tourney, and it was a blast!
I do not remember the exact name of the event, but we ran pindle, a lot.

Being my first competitive MF experience I did put many hours into it, iirc we could run as much as we wanted over 3~7 days(I can not for the life of me remember, maybe it was 3 out of 7 days?)

After a weekend of, by my standards, a crazy amount of runs, and a pretty satisfying result, I was completely worn out. I couldn't bear grinding any target for a few days, and I even hurt my wrist(does it show that I'm no 1337-for-hours-on-end-grinder? ;)).

Heres' my point:
I would more likely join a MF tournament if it was a one time event and instead make new small events for the next target/round rather than having a long league strech over a year. I would feel kinda discouraged to sign up for a year of MF'ing, even if it would not require that I participated in all rounds or whatever, it feels like a big undertaking. And say I want to be competitive, and I unfortunately miss a run because of whatever, I would now be considerably behind in everyone ran everything.

About time vs. runs. I do not see the point in having a MF competition based on number of runs. That would make it only about luck, and to some extent who have the best rare/magic MF items(or ists to spend on stupid 6xist swords :rolleyes:)

A given time to do your runs will encourage optimizing mf/speed/survability balance as well as it will favor the people who really put a lot of effort into it, like it should.

Anyway, it's great that someone is hosting these events. I think the key factor this time was time, like you said it's just too long.
I also like that there is sort of an entering fee, so people who sign up will be inclined to participate. I know that I on occasion have signed up for some tourney or whatever, and then just didn't do it. This might not increase the number of people actually participating, but it does probably decrease people signing up without joining in when it's time.

zarf

After round 9 score seems like this:

1. Fabian 21 points
2. bcoe 13 points
3. Thomh 11 points
4. jjscud 10 points
5. EatSleepDiablo 9 points
5. Mungo 9 points

7. Pyrohemia 6 point
7. frozzzen 6 points
9. forbidenorc 5 points
9. HappeningKT 5 points
9. rummski 5 points
9. Kimppi 5 points
9. cyrax 5 points
14. LiquidClear 4 points
15. Kestegs 3 points
15. Thyiad 3 points
15. Kefka 3 points
15. NeckRomancer 3 points
19. EightDigitSin 2 points
19. scrcrw 2 points
21. Jason Maher 1 point
21. ZeN 1 point

Last round will decide after final decisions of tournament so I am looking for that.

When looking at the scorelist an idea for a different kind of scoringsystem popped into my mind. Don't know if anyone would like it, but i thought i'd post it here and see what the reactions would be.

So here goes:
So far top 5 gets points from 5 for first, down to 1 for 5th place. Anyone lower than that gets no points at all. A pretty traditional way of getting a score.

What occurred to me was that you get 5 points for finishing first in a round that has no more than 5 participants, but also if 40+ people would compete. Looking at it like that, it seemed somewhat unfair to give equal points in both cases. It's much harder and a bigger achievement to win the latter case.

That's why i thought that some kind of scoring that factors in the number of participants in that round would be more fair. One variant i've come up with is this:
- Count the number of participants.
- That number is the score the winner gets.
- Substract 1 point to get the score for second place, one more for third, etc
- Optional rule: to determine the number of participants only count those that completed 25% of max runtime. I choose 25% here because that's 5 hours and it seems doable for most people, though one could also go for something different like 10 or 15%.

To clarify things here's an example:

First without the optional rule:
Let's say there's 30 people participating. The winner would get 30 points, runner up 29, third place 28, etc. until last place which would get you 1 point.

Same situation with optional rule:
Let's say that from the 30 participants 25 ran enough to go over the set limit. Than the number used to get the score would be 25.
So first place would get you 25 points, second 24, etc. until 25th place which gives 1 point. Participants that finished 26th till 30th don't get any points.
An important thing to keep in mind here is that even though you'd have to run more than 5 hours (or whatever is set as the limit) to count as a participant, with some luck you can end up with the first 25 participants based on your finds and thus end up with points. Meaning someone else that ran more time than the limit would end up somewhere between 26th and 30th spot and get no points.

One thing i'm a bit concerned with is that if someone wins a round with a lot of participants he/she would end up with such a big score that with just that round he/she would take the overall victory. However, seeing as that Fabian was already certain of first place several rounds before the last this may not differ much from the current situation. And vice versa, 8 point lead Fabian currently has, could prove to be not enough for victory if the last round has enough people participating. So in that perspective it's not over till the fat lady sings, as they say.

Hopefully my explanation was clear enough so people understand what i'm trying to say. I'm curious on what you all think about it (though final say stays with Bass, since he's organizing all this).

Edit: Just to clarify i'm not suggesting this to change the current cycle of the MF league. It's something people may (or may not) like to see in a future MF league.

Personally I think it sounds pretty nice and wouldn't mind something like that at all. It gives the tournament more of a "league" feel to it as well, where it's not just the top 5 performers every round that gets points, but everyone.

I'm definitely in favor of something like that, and definitely with some minimum time requirement so you don't just do one run with zero qualifiers to guarantee yourself some points.

More points for top places. Like Ski Jumping or Formula 1. E.g.

1st 100
2nd 80
3rd 60
4th 50
5th 45

Or, most likely, a variation thereof.

Only issue I see with increasing the points is that if the tourney is well attended in the beginning, those points to the winner will be harder to overcome later if participation drops off.

My suggestions:

#1) Less points. Only first through third score. Point disparities would be more manageable for those that only participate in a handful of rounds.

#2) Enrich the pot. Have contestants put up loot in the beginning or offer qualifiers found in tournament.

#3) Dispense with points, and have a running score. Construct a scoring system applicable to all 10 levels. Personally, I would reduce the number of qualifiers (TC 75+, add TC3's and certain jewelry; Mal+ runes), but have each scored the same, regardless of level. Best qualifiers carry into each subsequent round. Top 20 at the end wins it.

EatSleepDiablo said:
Only issue I see with increasing the points is that if the tourney is well attended in the beginning, those points to the winner will be harder to overcome later if participation drops off.

As i briefly mentioned in my earlier post this is somewhat of a concern of mine too. But having thought of it from different angles i think it can go both ways (both good and bad).

The scenario you describe would be the bad way.

On the other hand, how does it differ from the situation in the current league? For the last few rounds of the current league Fab can't be caught anymore. Meaning there is absolutely no chance whatsoever for anyone to overtake him. It is likely that some people are discouraged by that and don't even take part in the last few rounds anymore. Whereas if there's still a chance, no matter how small, to win people are more likely to at least give it a try.

So the way i see it, it can be either a good or a bad thing depending on how the league progresses (how many different winners in the beginning, number of participants, etc), but the same can be said from the current system. I don't think anyone can predict which of the 2 ways it will go. So in that perspective i think it would be an acceptable risk to give it a go.

EatSleepDiablo said:
#2) Enrich the pot. Have contestants put up loot in the beginning or offer qualifiers found in tournament.

I would be against this. It is exactly the reason i don't participate in the regular MFO. I don't like the part where i have to give up loot i worked hard for, especially if it's either a grailie or something useful. And yes it is possible to win so you can keep everything, but chances are you won't win.
The nice part about this league is that both people who do want this, and those who don't can take part.

So in my case bottom line would be that if this rule would be implemented that i would stop taking part of this tourney. I don't know how bit the non-prize group in this league is, and if i'm the only one of that group who has this view on things, but that's my 2 cts.

Keeping a tournament like this going depends greatly on participation. That is why I propose sweetening the pot, minimizing points, or "letting it ride".

I agree that there should be an option to play for "free". My participation in this tournament is premised on that.

I simply offer some ideas for the next round.

Bassano, please do not take offense to any of these posts. This was a great idea and I enjoyed it very much.

I look forward to the next installment...

Following Cyraxes idea. To tackle the loss of participants in the tournament later in the season, what would happen if the winning score for a round is based on the highest amount of participants in any round that whole season? Say you have 40 participants the first round, the winner will be awarded with 40 points if I understand Cyrax correctly. Then later on if there are only 10 participants left, the winning score of that round will still be 40, second place 39 and so on (finishing last would then give 31 points).

I haven't thought much about this idea, but I thought I'd put it out there.

@eatsleepdiablo: It is OK , I am taking it as ideas to another season of MF league

It is nice that all of you give a suggestions for next year beacuse It is nice to hear that you are interested of another one

I am prepairing next MF league like a football season between autumn 2011/ summer 2012 half season on 2011 and half of 2012 beacuse now will be MFo soon then last round of this one
then some break then I am going to do 3rd edition of area85 tournament then on summer I will be on holiday and then could start another one

my opinion to system of scoring is that idea like number of points based on number of players in round is not perfect idea beacuse some rounds will be useless and quite empty of players

scoring system like in skiing 100/80/60 is nice but it is for 30+ players , more I am thinking about F1 scoring system with points for best 10 players like 25/18/15/....

I am now thinking about some format like 8 rounds: 5 small and 3 big events
small event like mini MFO: run how much you want during one week-end (or you can choose one from two week-ends to avoid problems with time for some players due to some RL event)
and big event like a classic MFO: run how much you want during 10 days: from friday to next sunday
big events will give you double points so in e.g. F1 case: 50/36/30/...

plus I am thinking about some bonuses like if you will recieve points in most of events to give some bonus to runners which are partecipating in all events

EatSleepDiablo said:
Keeping a tournament like this going depends greatly on participation.

I totally agree with you on this. In my previous post i wasn't trying to attack you or anything, but i was trying to explain that depending on how the league develops either both the current setup and my suggestion can both work out for better or worse.

EatSleepDiablo said:
That is why I propose sweetening the pot, minimizing points, or "letting it ride".

I agree that there should be an option to play for "free". My participation in this tournament is premised on that.

Sorry it seems like i misunderstood your earlier statement. I thought you were against the free participation and thought that sweetening the pot was THE thing to attract players. Which was why i thought i'd bring forward that there's people out there that don't care about how big the pot is and play for other reasons.

EatSleepDiablo said:
I simply offer some ideas for the next round.

And i don't blame you. That's exactly the same as i was doing. I totally don't mind if people disagree, to each their opinion. But i would mind if they would attack me just because i offered an idea.

@zoo: I see one huge problem with your idea. That is you don't know the highest number of players of all rounds until the last round is finished. Meaning you can't make up a score for any of the rounds until the total MFO league ends.

@Bassano: Interesting ideas, i'll have to think about it some more to see if i'm missing any angles, but at first glance i'd think the F1 system as you mentioned wouldn't change much. Every time someone wins they get x points, second x minus something else points, etc. I haven't done any calculations, but i think if this method of scoring was used in the current MFO the ranking of people would be pretty much the same, just with a different number of points. So i'm not sure if that would change much.

In that perspective i like your idea of mixing up smaller and bigger events much more. That would also give a nice clash between players with different playingstyles. Some may be better with fixed time, others can play till their eyes bleed and beyond. And both styles have their chances at gaining points and winning rounds.

I see your point on the bonuspoints for participating in all events. It would encourage people to take part in all rounds, which is a good thing. However there are some minor issues to consider.

First of all what if, for whatever reason, RL get's in the way in one of the rounds. Then you'd have no more reason to go for bonuspoints and may skip a next round more easily. Also it gives a benefit to players like students who usually have much more spare time to take part in all the rounds (or at least i had more than enough free time when i still went to school).

A second thing i'm worried about is that people just pretend to participate. By that i mean play for half an hour or an hour just so they can say they were in that round and are still in the race for the bonuspoints.

A way around the first of the above objections could be that a player can miss one round and still get full points. And perhaps a descending scale. So if you take part in all rounds or miss one you get 25 pts, missing 2 or 3 rounds would get you 15 points, etc. Something like that. It would mean that if you miss one or two rounds you still want to take part in as much rounds as possible because you can still get some points.

The second might be a bit trickier, but maybe something like you have to play at least x-time to be considered to be a participant in that round (where x could vary if the idea of bigger and smaller events is implemented).

bassano, I think all of your ideas sound very good actually, especially the small (week-end) and big (MFO style) events. Whatever you choose eventually, I'm sure it will be well thought out and a lot of fun :) Thanks for hosting.

Cyrax said:
@Zoo: I see one huge problem with your idea. That is you don't know the highest number of players of all rounds until the last round is finished. Meaning you can't make up a score for any of the rounds until the total MFO league ends.

This occurred to me as well, but I figured it wouldn't matter that much. It might be harder to keep track of who's in the lead, but in the end the score will still be fair. Not sure if it would encourage or discourage people to take part though. So maybe it is a crappy idea. :)

Originally posted by: @bassano

Last round is over and I wrote table with final score

bonus points for top scores are:

TOP SU score

Fabian 2 points

Tyrael's Might 96.4
Death's Web 27.9
Azurewrath 15.6
Griswold's Redemption 11.3
Griswold's Redemption 11.3

Total 162.5 points

TOP rune score

EatSleepDiablo 1 point

Zod 54.0
Sur 10.3
Vex 8.0
Ist 5.6
Mal 3.8

Total 81.7 points

With bonus points for TOP scores final table is:

[highlight]1. Fabian 23 points[/highlight]
2. bcoe 18 points
3. Thomh 15 points
4. jjscud 10 points
4. EatSleepDiablo 10 points
4. Mungo 10 points

7. Pyrohemia 6 point
7. frozzzen 6 points
9. forbidenorc 5 points
9. HappeningKT 5 points
9. rummski 5 points
9. Kimppi 5 points
9. cyrax 5 points
14. LiquidClear 4 points
15. bassano 3 points
15. Kestegs 3 points
15. Thyiad 3 points
15. Kefka 3 points
15. NeckRomancer 3 points
20. Angeldesignpro 2 points
20. EightDigitSin 2 points
20. scrcrw 2 points
23. Jason Maher 1 point
23. ZeN 1 point

from price category is:

1st price is 420 PGems - Fabian
2nd is 210 PGems - Thomh
3rd is 70 PGems - Mungo
[/B]

I will send you mails with PGems as soon as will be possible

I want to thanks to all of you for partecipation in rounds especially to players which was very active in lot of rounds

Congrats to Fabian for victory and also to other players from TOP 5 beacuse they did nice job too 👍

I hope to see all of you in next season and that you enjoyed this one
And good luck to all

Woho, I won! :D

I've definitely enjoyed myself for the most part, although a few of the targets were a bit.. uninspiring. Plus the whole quitting-the-game thing in the middle of the league :)

Thanks for hosting, hope to see it back very soon!

Congrats Fabian. You were not the only one with motivational problems:)

As for the 210 PGems, I would rather not have them. I`m going to go back to HC, so the gems have no interest for me. It would be much better if Bassano kept them himself.

If you really did not want them, I will keep them as price for osme naother tournament beacuse I am not interested about PGems too :)
So let me know your definitive decision

Keep them for another tournament:) I don`t want them.

Well, i can see my contribution to the league is very much appreciated. So much that i've been removed from the table :weep::D Or maybe this is a hint to not compete in the next league. :scratchchin:

Anyway, still congrats go out to fabulous Fabian for an outstanding victory. :flowers: But watch out, next time won't be so easy.

@Cyrax: table repaired, problem was that I added points to table after round 8 and not after round 9 which you won, sorry for that :)
I also added another points I forgot to add, I hope that this time it is OK

PGems sent to Fabian and Mungo

please confirm incoming PGems
thanks

420 [1.13c SC FAM] pgems received, thank you :)

Congrats to Fabian, Thomh and Mungo!

The last few rounds caught me uninspired in the game and now on vacation and with out D2. I found 1 item in the last round, but never had a chance to send anything in.

I'm looking forward to the next go round, it's always fun to try different areas, although they can get tedious.

GG to all participants and a special thanks to Bassano for putting this all together :guiness:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High