Metal Grid -- Iron Golem Aura for all characters???

lextalionis

Jun 24, 2003
Metal Grid -- Iron Golem Aura for all characters???

What about Prebuffing an Iron Golem with an item with an Aura on it, so that you have a walking Aura that follows you everywhere:

Stone Runeword Armor: Only for the Prebuff of creating your Iron Golem

What else would be good for Prebuffing???

EXILE would be good for Defiance, think about that in a Paladin SHield with a ton of resist all already on it.

What else would be helpful to other characters and how hard would it be to keep him alive???

I've heard from a friend that an Iron Golem made out of a Grandfather sword kills things in 1 hit and never dies.. As to your suggestions I have no direct experience with an Iron Golem (I'm makin a Necro as we speak tho that will utilize Iron Golem eventually).

if you make a iron golem out of a charge, the next game its gone.
so unless ur Very very very rich, its a bad plan.

-jordy :king:

jordy666 said:

That solves that question then.

Iron Golem made out of a Grandfather sword kills things in 1 hit and never dies

I see no reason why this should be so; I suspect this falls in the realm of urban legend.

"EXILE would be good for Defiance, think about that in a Paladin SHield with a ton of resist all already on it."

I actually started a thread about this in the nec forum. So far as I can see this is the best suggestion yet for an endgame IG; I would stress "end-game" one you make an IG its stats remain constant until you make another one, regardless of new levels and new +skills, but this also means you can take good advantage of BC and skill shrines to beef up your IG. With the right shield this IG will be elementally immune, and very hard for monsters to hit until the later hell levels.

I do not see what Stone would have to offer that would compare with this.

Also, check your ambitions for one hit kills in hell, or mods like CB, the IG's AR is stuck at around 1000 without heavy skill point investment; he just isn’t going to hit anything in hell.

Wambat said:
I do not see what Stone would have to offer that would compare with this.

Also, check your ambitions for one hit kills in hell, or mods like CB, the IG's AR is stuck at around 1000 without heavy skill point investment; he just isn’t going to hit anything in hell.

Well in this thread I was talking about non-necros mostly. So Stone was more for the Charges of Clay Golem for the AR bonus to the Golem. I know AR isn't that important since a shield golem has almost no damage anyway, but I figured if it would last for a long time it would be worth the effort to prebuff the little golem as much as possible.

I've since learned that if you cast Iron Golem from a charge it will not last into new games :(

Please excuse me for talking out of my arse. I should have realized you where talking about other classes, I was thinking in context of an actual nec making an IG. Still the synergy from 16 lvl clay golem, if it even works that way, will only result in +320 to AR; a solid number, not a percentage; which really wont help much. But, hey, great idea.

Wambat said:
Please excuse me for talking out of my arse. I should have realized you where talking about other classes, I was thinking in context of an actual nec making an IG. Still the synergy from 16 lvl clay golem, if it even works that way, will only result in +320 to AR; a solid number, not a percentage; which really wont help much. But, hey, great idea.

your excused. Talking on forums is always hard. I thought I was being really clear and you missed my point, because I didn't deliver my message correctly. But alas we talk. We communicate and work these things out.

I knew the Synergy bonus would be very small. But I wanted to throw it out there. I was sorta looking to see if there were other items with charges of Fire Golem or Blood Golem for added synergy help. But alas there aren't to my knowledge and the Benefit of a Iron Golem is that it lasts from Game to Game. If you can't keep them over tiem you can't afford to invest in them.

Looking at these skills I think the idea would probably work better the other way around. Creating a 16th lvl clay golem, it would have twice the hp of the IG, would have a terrific slowing effect, and the IG synergy would give it almost 800 def. This is still too weak to be viable in hell, but it is quite do-able for NM, and does not fly I the face of the non re-spawning IG problem.

while ive never had much luck with an iron golem ill throw in my two cents.
i pick this tip out of the necro forumn.
take an iron golem for bosses like hell baal with an all summon necro and creat him from an ik maul. a shael and an amn socket into it will give your golem some nice ias lifeleech and cruching blow. this makes for a very good killer of bosses. not to mention all the original dmg make him as strong as a regular skeliton at upper lvl 20's with skelli mastery in upper lvl 20's.
this with decrepify can quickly elimate baal, diablo, mephy, duriel, and andy along with any other monster your having trouble with.

of course if dmg is not your style the clay golem goes to great lengths along with decrepify to totally pin down any boss. they just can't move. with decrepify there slowed to 50% and with clay golem another 50% making them move at 25% their orignal speed. and with even higher lvls you can greatly slow nemonster the golem chooses to take a swing at.

lextalionis said:
What else would be good for Prebuffing???
You could use Bloodmoon for the lvl 15 Blood Golem charges, if you want to give either golem a bit more life.

Killer_sss said:
while ive never had much luck with an iron golem ill throw in my two cents.
i pick this tip out of the necro forumn.
take an iron golem for bosses like hell baal with an all summon necro and creat him from an ik maul. a shael and an amn socket into it will give your golem some nice ias lifeleech and cruching blow. this makes for a very good killer of bosses. not to mention all the original dmg make him as strong as a regular skeliton at upper lvl 20's with skelli mastery in upper lvl 20's.
this with decrepify can quickly elimate baal, diablo, mephy, duriel, and andy along with any other monster your having trouble with.

of course if dmg is not your style the clay golem goes to great lengths along with decrepify to totally pin down any boss. they just can't move. with decrepify there slowed to 50% and with clay golem another 50% making them move at 25% their orignal speed. and with even higher lvls you can greatly slow nemonster the golem chooses to take a swing at.
ias doesnt affect the IG, IIRC

BFD said:
You could use Bloodmoon for the lvl 15 Blood Golem charges, if you want to give either golem a bit more life.

Now we have a weapon slot, armor slot, and an ammy slot filled. Too bad, though, I don't think even a necro that casts an Iron Golem from the charges on a Metal Grid would be able to keep him. Pity.

jordy666 said:

There is no reason for that to be true. As long as the metalgrid is equiped and you have not leveled up you should maintain the iron golem, since it is one type of golem that is held over by the character.

clay golems are cheaper to repair and build, they also have slow and much more life, add on the extra defence and life from the synergies and you have one hell of a tank for about 5000 gold thats much better than your 50000+ merc.

I suggest using stone and having metalgrid in the amulet slot for the best results you can prebuff with bloodmoon in your weapon switch you could also enchant with demonlimb.

Uzziah said:
There is no reason for that to be true. As long as the metalgrid is equiped and you have not leveled up you should maintain the iron golem, since it is one type of golem that is held over by the character.
if its a necro, it stays.
but with everyother char its gone the next game, tested in sp.

And if you are going to burn an expensive item like a Exile Shield you really need for the Iron Golem to stay between games.

Again, the blood golem charges would add life to your CG as well, and I have no doubt he would serve you better than any IG you could make. Of course, this is a lot of trouble to go to for a nm lvl golem. Also, using the CG rather than the IG or BG means you can replace the Metalgrid ammy and the Bloodmoon weapon with better build specific items without losing your companion.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High