March of the Doomed - Running Thread

Babyhell

Jan 22, 2019
March of the Doomed
Evil has taken the control of the lands. Peace is now a forgotten word, armies have fallen, heroes are dead or have left years ago...

Here or there, small villages survive, with people trying to hide as much as possible to avoid arousing interest of the hordes of demons who reign on the remaining cities.

In those villages, elder dies. And sometimes, babies are born. The latters learn to survive before even put a foot outside of the house. Swordsmen, mages, trapperess, any people with any knowledge of survival take part in the education of the new borns.

Since their birth, they live in fear. They live with the fear. But they want to live. And they are their only hope...

You are one of them. A nobody amongst the many, from one of these small villages, who has been taught how to fight, but doesn't know what is really outside. It is now your choice: will you fight to exist, or hide to survive?

~~~ Rules ~~~
The core mechanic is that each act boss (first) kill leaves you with a damnation, being here a skill lock that you are not allowed to use anymore.
1. Basic liberties
  • no gearing limitation, with possible generated limitations (see below)
  • skill points can be put freely, with generated limitations (see below)
2.a. Damnation generalities
Fighting evil is not without consequences... each victory has a cost.
  • at the end of each act, one new skill is randomly chosen (cannot be identical to a previous one), and forever forbidden to be used actively AND put any point in. See section 2.b. for detailed mechanics.
  • rolls are encouraged to be made by another forum member. However, self rolling is accepted in case of limited gaming time/sessions.
  • case of an item granted skill: cannot be used actively if the skill is forbidden. You can take advantage of other class skills! Auras granted by item (Insight, Dream, Faith...) are considered passive, hence allowed.
2.b. Damnation details
Lesser Evils are a menace for low tiers skills, whereas Prime Evils menace higher tiers skills as described below:
  • Andariel damnation roll has to be made on available skills lvl 1-12
  • Duriel damnation roll has to be made on available skills lvl 1-12
  • Mephisto damnation roll has to be made on available skills lvl 18-30
  • Diablo damnation roll has to be made on available skills lvl 18-30
  • Baal damnation roll has to be made on available skills lvl 24-30. For him, this can be refused BEFORE ROLL at the cost of a new random non-weapon item location. The item rolled will then be allowed to be used magical only (socketing is still allowed).
  • The item roll is 1-9, with:
    • 1 being the Amulet
    • 2 being Ring1
    • 3 being Ring2
    • 4 being Offhand (note: this one impacts main and switch locations)
    • 5 being Headgear
    • 6 being Body armor
    • 7 being Gloves
    • 8 being Belt
    • 9 being Boots
  • If a forbidden skill had already skill point in, unlocked skills can still be used normally.
    For example, if you had a point in Iron Skin, and Iron Skin is now locked, you can still put points into Natural Resistance.
    But if Iron Skin had no point in before being locked, then Natural Resistance is not accessible, as no point can be put in Iron Skin as a prerequisite.
3. Blessings
  • Cow King must be killed before moving to the next difficulty (i.e. Normal and Nightmare only - so Hell Cows can be rerun in versions prior to D2R)
  • The Cow King reward: when you kill the Cow King in each difficulty (Normal and Nightmare only) for the first time, you are rewarded with a Royal Seal.
  • A Royal Seal has to be used on a damned skill, at any time (right after earning it, kept for later, or never used).
  • Once the skill has been Royal Sealed, it can be used and have skill points put in it at will. It also allows the use of non-damned unlocked skills which have the skill as a prerequisite.
  • A Royal Sealed skill is not considered as available for future damnation rolls.
  • The seal is usable only once, and cannot be moved later to another skill.
4. Specific game functionalities
  • reset is allowed. But when putting skill points again, locked skills have this specific rule: locked skills lvl 1-12 can be put up to 5 points in (those are still not usable, but that allows some flexibility on synergies/passive skills). Locked skills lvl 18+ cannot be put any point in.
    However, it is still forbidden to put any skill point in a skill unlocked by a damned skill: it is therefore important to note the moment of the reset, to be able to know which skills were damned after the reset, for which the general rules from 2.b. still applies.
    For example, if you had Increased Stamina locked before respec, you can put up to 5 points in during respec.
    But even if you had points in Increased Speed before respec, you are not allowed to point any point in due to Increased Stamina lock.
  • any playersX setting allowed. Feel free to abuse it for chests or Countess!
5. Others
  • Single or Multi Pass untwinked journey.
  • Hardcore mode is preferred. But can be made Softcore, with the rule that the character is out of the tournament on death.
6. Scoring system
  • 3 points per act completed
  • 3 bonus points per difficulty completed when SP
  • -2 points when deciding to sacrifice an item location to Baal
  • 3 bonus points per unused Royal Seal at the end of the journey
7. How to roll?
Roll shall be made as follows, using random.org/integers generator:
  • Count X the number of available skills in the tiers range (for example 15 after the first Andariel kill for the Paladin)
  • Roll 1-X, starting 1 on the left of the skill tab A to the right of the skill tab C, tier by tier (for example after the first Andariel kill for a Paladin, 1-5 is the range of the skills lvl 1, 6-10 the range of the skills lvl 6, 11-15 the range of the skills lvl 12)
Skills trees by class, stolen/adapted from the Random Tournament 2021 ;-)
Skill tab A
Skill tab B
Skill tab C
Amazon
Javelin & Spear
Passive & Magic
Bow & Xbow
Assassin
Martial Arts
Shadow
Traps
Barbarian
Warcries
Combat Masteries
Combat Skills
Druid
Elemental
Shape Shifting
Summoning
Necromancer
Summoning
Poison & Bone
Curses
Paladin
Defensive
Offensive
Combat skills
Sorceress
Cold
Fire
Lightning

For reference, the initial evaluation/review thread.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: d2lover and Pb_pal
Character damnation card
Rich (BB code):
Act Damnation          Royal Seal used (skill only)
No1 -                  N
No2 -                  N
No3 -                  N
No4 -                  N
No5 -                  N

NM1 -                  N
NM2 -                  N
NM3 -                  N
NM4 -                  N
NM5 -                  N

He1 -                  N
He2 -                  N
He3 -                  N
He4 -                  N

Reset used (if any)
Normal    during <Act>
Nightmare during <Act>
Hell      during <Act>

Last edited:
Edit your entry: Reply to the last message containing the table, then remove the quote thingy at the end, remove everything else but the table between the Code brackets. Now you can edit your entry, and write your update without messing things up :)

SP: declare if you are playing SP or let it empty for MP.
SC: declare if you are playing SC or let it empty for HC (remember: first death is definitive and character has to be moved in the Deeds section)
SR: declare if you are Self Rolling (put SR) (can be the case for people who have gaming time in short sessions, or in case there are not enough active players anymore). It is encouraged to be rolled by other forum members (and let it empty), that's a community isn't it? ;-)
Code:
SP SC SR D2R Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level Location               Score
-- -- -- --- ----------        --------------       -----   ----- --------               ----
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to ashes (aka Deeds)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
May the dark forces be with me...
vx5Jyovl.png

TheDeadman damnation card
Rich (BB code):
No1 -                  N
No2 -                  N
No3 -                  N
No4 -                  N
No5 -                  N

NM1 -                  N
NM2 -                  N
NM3 -                  N
NM4 -                  N
NM5 -                  N

He1 -                  N
He2 -                  N
He3 -                  N
He4 -                  N

Reset used (if any)
Normal    during <Act>
Nightmare during <Act>
Hell      during <Act>
Rich (BB code):
Reference post: How to fill table content
SP SC SR D2R Forum Name        Character Name       Class   Level Location               Score
-- -- -- --- ----------        --------------       -----   ----- --------               ----
         D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman            Nec    01    Rogue Camp             00

Well I'm going to enter with a barbarian on my switch. I'll figure out screens later.

Character damnation card
Rich (BB code):
No1 -                  N
No2 -                  N
No3 -                  N
No4 -                  N
No5 -                  N

NM1 -                  N
NM2 -                  N
NM3 -                  N
NM4 -                  N
NM5 -                  N

He1 -                  N
He2 -                  N
He3 -                  N
He4 -                  N

Reset used (if any)
Normal    during <Act>
Nightmare during <Act>
Hell      during <Act>

Rich (BB code):
         D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman            Nec    01    Rogue Camp             00
         D2R Vang              TBD on creation       Bar    01    Rogue Camp             00

Reactions: Grisu and Babyhell
I haven't created the character yet, but I'm planning a paladin named Sentinel. I'm planning him as a zealot, using whatever aura I end up with access to, though that could change. Always wanted to play with FoH...

Rich (BB code):

D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman           Nec    01    Rogue Camp             00

D2R Vang               TBD on creation        Bar    01    Rogue Camp             00

D2R Dazliare           Sentinel                    Pal    01    Rogue Camp             Higher than Babyhell

• Haha
Reactions: Grisu and Babyhell
March of TheDeadman, Normal p8
YvxhLgJl.png

Good, another minion!

Now at Stony Field waypoint, clvl 12, next to Rakanishu, he found some nice things for a first session...

The first one was a 6PR 1-2 cold damage sc, before finding this nice shield from Blood Raven:
ertlMGSl.png

The first rare wand wasn't worth equipping, so in the end when Akara offered a +2 Raise Skeleton one it had been promptly bought, and it was time to leave behind the Scepter.

Still thinking about what build I could target...in HC skellies are obviously the choice of the reason, but it they are locked by Andariel or Duriel... that's pretty much over.

Anyway as of now it is a one point everywhere in the first 12 skills... with much luck, we will know after Duriel if we can have a skeleton army!

Edit: now at Black Marsh waypoint, session stopped at clvl 17.5. It required almost four full levels to get that Tal... and only one Eth found in the meantime! To be used in a Breast Plate in Act 2 to keep it quite some time, if nothing more is found by then.
Skillwise, Mage Skeleton is left beside, not counting on it or revive. Curses are opened. Plan is getting Lower Resist in case the Poison Nova is available, but stick to Dim vision for the second branch.

Two strong options for me: Magic attacks, or Summons. We will see!

Edit2: arrival at the Cathedral, clvl 19. Wondering how I will be able to take down Andy with one point everywhere... I may take a gamble, even if there are only few points available...

See you on next update!

Rich (BB code):
         D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman            Nec    19    Inner Cloister         00
         D2R Vang              TBD on creation       Bar    01    Rogue Camp             00
         D2R Dazliare          Sentinel              Pal    01    Rogue Camp             Higher than Babyhell

Last edited:
Reactions: D4di56lu3 and Grisu
Sounds like fun! I will probably finish my Random Tournament Necro first (or he'll be the 28th tournament character stranded because I started another tournament). I will then probably start with a character not chosen yet, probably Assassin (the character I am least familiar with) or Druid (afraid because of the tons of synergies required). Maybe even sorceress - haven't played a tournament sorceress in a veeeery long time (last tournament Guardian sorc was 2007), but I already have a lv95 sorc in D2R for the UT99er challenge, so...maybe not. I already did a Random Amazon 2020, so probably not an Amazon either.

No one playing single pass so far? Seriously? You want me to win the tournament by all means, do you? :p

EDIT: Also ,I will try to record the adventures of my toon, so don't expect me to move along quickly...

You want me to win the tournament by all means, do you?
How can we make you join if we close that door? You have to win ;-)

I may on a second run go SP myself, I now have a bit of experience in HC handling. Full clear is a thing too, much related to SP, and well the Random Tournament 2021 showed me a limit here...

Anyway, take your time, I have a multi pass character to guardian beforehand :p

Hit by RL, I will go forth with an assassin next time I’m on the machine.
Will alternate a bit between the random tournament and this March since I don’t have any other entertaining toons at the moment. Solves the problem of “waiting” for a forum roll at end of each act 😁

Reactions: Babyhell
March of TheDeadman, Normal p8, Andy p1
LQBuE4ul.png

Good start!

After having run the Countess for the Stealth runes, it was about time to head to the Catacombs.

Things kicked in with that first ring in header, and afterwards it added up pretty nicely:
Fya1vM0l.png

23MF and damage reduction <3

Andariel had been taken down on p1 to secure the kill, and then it was time to shop a 2os BP to craft the Stealth, and grab a belt for an additional pot row:
APIScull.png

Alongside, @Vang did the Andy roll, and Poison dagger it was!

See you on next update!

TheDeadman damnation card
Rich (BB code):
No1 Poison Dagger      N
No2 -                  N
No3 -                  N
No4 -                  N
No5 -                  N

NM1 -                  N
NM2 -                  N
NM3 -                  N
NM4 -                  N
NM5 -                  N

He1 -                  N
He2 -                  N
He3 -                  N
He4 -                  N

Reset used (if any)
Normal    during <Act>
Nightmare during <Act>
Hell      during <Act>
Rich (BB code):
         D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman            Nec    20    Lut Golhein            03
         D2R Dazliare          Sentinel              Pal    01    Rogue Camp             Higher than Babyhell

Last edited:
Okay well technically, I died and rushed back to Act 2. Looks like no one rolled me yet, so all good. I was going to hit sewers with just basic attacks and died...oh well.

I equipped whatever big beat stick I could muster. First found a scepter, then bought a Lightning infused two-handed sword. Then came a +3 polearm helm and at level 11 a gambled scythe. Andy=dead. Round 2 over.

I placed a point into bash, stun, and all skills in warcries and 1 point into increased stamina.

Dead
I wait for no one and no one should be caged. I ran through Act 1 like I had some place else to be.

I equipped whatever big beat stick I could muster. First a Spear. Then a Lightning infused Large Axe. Next up was a more damaging Two-Handed Sword. Finally at 13 I was able to gamble a giant Claymore to vanquish the foes that tried to subdue my rage.

I placed a point in bash, stun, and all skills in warcries and 1 point into increased stamina. The reason for the swords I used? +2 sword mastery Barbarian helm.

I did manage to find this nice thing off Bone Ash:

1641432446398.png

Cronan is ready to be damned!

(Decided to just go with the computer for and HC, switch is not to my liking for that.)

Cronan's damnation card
Rich (BB code):
No1 -                  N
No2 -                  N
No3 -                  N
No4 -                  N
No5 -                  N

NM1 -                  N
NM2 -                  N
NM3 -                  N
NM4 -                  N
NM5 -                  N

He1 -                  N
He2 -                  N
He3 -                  N
He4 -                  N

Reset used (if any)
Normal    during <Act>
Nightmare during <Act>
Hell      during <Act>
Rich (BB code):
         D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman            Nec    20    Lut Gholein            03
         D2R Vang              Cronan                Bar    14    Lut Gholein            03

Last edited:
Reactions: Babyhell
Quick question - can the royal seals be used to unlock a previously damned skill? Or only to protect one?

Okay well technically, I died and rushed back to Act 2. Looks like no one rolled me yet, so all good. I was going to hit sewers with just basic attacks and died...oh well.

I equipped whatever big beat stick I could muster. First found a scepter, then bought a Lightning infused two-handed sword. Then came a +3 polearm helm and at level 11 a gambled scythe. Andy=dead. Round 2 over.

I placed a point into bash, stun, and all skills in warcries and 1 point into increased stamina.

Dead
I wait for no one and no one should be caged. I ran through Act 1 like I had some place else to be.

I equipped whatever big beat stick I could muster. First a Spear. Then a Lightning infused Large Axe. Next up was a more damaging Two-Handed Sword. Finally at 13 I was able to gamble a giant Claymore to vanquish the foes that tried to subdue my rage.

I placed a point in bash, stun, and all skills in warcries and 1 point into increased stamina. The reason for the swords I used? +2 sword mastery Barbarian helm.

I did manage to find this nice thing off Bone Ash:

View attachment 74477

Cronan is ready to be damned!

(Decided to just go with the computer for and HC, switch is not to my liking for that.)

Cronan's damnation card
Rich (BB code):
No1 -                  N
No2 -                  N
No3 -                  N
No4 -                  N
No5 -                  N

NM1 -                  N
NM2 -                  N
NM3 -                  N
NM4 -                  N
NM5 -                  N

He1 -                  N
He2 -                  N
He3 -                  N
He4 -                  N

Reset used (if any)
Normal    during <Act>
Nightmare during <Act>
Hell      during <Act>
Rich (BB code):
         D2R Babyhell          TheDeadman            Nec    20    Lut Gholein            03
         D2R Vang              Cronan                Bar    14    Lut Gholein            03
Barb being the odd man out, correct me if I’m wrong (rolled 1-17) and got…. 3

Sword mastery is damned

Quick question - can the royal seals be used to unlock a previously damned skill? Or only to protect one?
you are rewarded with a Royal Seal. This one allows you to protect a skill from damnation, and can be used at any time, on any forbidden skill
What I meant was that it has to be used on a skill hit by a damnation, and protect it from further roll (hence is not considered as available for the future damnation rolls).

I'll reword it to make it clearer :)

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High