mana issue

TheBigClown

Jun 27, 2006
mana issue

Hi. What should be a safe mana level for a blizzard sorc who wanna teleport to meph without running dangerusly low on mana? Btw this is a sorc without a merc - meph allways kills my merc very easy when he tanks.

My warmth is lvl 8 (114%), my teleport is lvl 8 (17 mana), 5% block, 63%+ fcr, 1030 life and my manapool is 556. Perhaps I should switch the chancies for frostburn... I feel that 556 mana is too little... How much do you think I need?

With that low Warmth and Teleport, and no 'Insight' Merc, you'd need quite a bit more mana to sustain it for a large Durance 2 map, but why don't you just chug a blue or two on your way down?

Switch Chancies to Frostburns. If you tele down to Meph, you can then switch off the gloves.

Here's what I do:

*I have a merc*
Tele down to whereever I'm MFing with the proper skills/ mana gear.
Attack Meph down to 1/4 life (static/ blasting him with whatever).
TP to town. Switch gears to full MF. Heal if needed.. so that merc has full life vs meph's 1/4 life when you head back down.
Come back, nuke meph in a few seconds.

The "going to town" part should only take a few seconds. It helps, because instead of a slow, dangerous tele down to baal/ meph... you're guaranteed not to die unless something major happens (big lag spike.. or unforgivable teleing mistake).

Also, by going into town, you don't need to worry too much about sacrificing MF gear, a merc, or stat points into mana when you don't absolutely need to.

Anything more than 500 is fine. I assume you have no points in Energy, right?

Mana potions are your friend. One potion every now and then will rid you of mana woes, and using Telekinesis to mop up potions that monsters drop isn't too annoying.

The easiest solution is to just make an Insight pole for your merc. Switch him to the Prayer aura and you're good to go.

My merc (I do have a merc) is a lvl 92 holy freeze with an eth insight giant thresher, duriel og 12% ll crown of thieves - Meph owns him in about 0,00001 sec.

Yes I am a non energy sorc.

Switching items isn't an option because I simple don't want too.

I don't like the idea about having a sorc that rely on mana potions.

Maybe I should switch my merc items? What would make him survive meph?

Mercs don't survive bosses well on their own (the damage they take is much higher than the damage your char would take). I've actually had Mercs do just fine with gear similar to yours. My standard procedure is to feed them a red as soon as I engage Meph, Static Meph down to half health, then Teleport away to a safe distance and feed them another red before finishing off Meph. If Meph lands more hits than usual I might feed them a purple somewhere in there.

I don't understand at all the issue with potions. They drop all the time and are sold by NPCs for a reason. It takes one shift+click to refill your belt every time you visit an NPC.

The thing about mana pots is that I just started playing d2x recently. Before that I played during 1.09 and back then I don't recall that I ever needed to drink blue. I guess I think it's a step down starting to drink blue. Perhaps I better get used to it.

I just found a shaft. Maybe that's better for my merc? Perhaps a gaze would do better too?

I just switched duriel and crown of thieves for a shaft and tal's mask. I've done 8 runs now and my merc haven't died even once! Not even close! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Awsome :smiley:

shaft+tal's is my favorite cheap combo, and still what I use on my mf hammerdin's merc (along with insight). It's a fantastic setup!

My merc (I do have a merc) is a lvl 92 holy freeze with an eth insight giant thresher, duriel og 12% ll crown of thieves - Meph owns him in about 0,00001 sec.

Yes I am a non energy sorc.

Switching items isn't an option because I simple don't want too.

I don't like the idea about having a sorc that rely on mana potions.

Maybe I should switch my merc items? What would make him survive meph?

Your merc has better equipment than mine (Insight merc also). Mine doesn't die. Keep your merc's current equipment

Yes, Meph will pwn your merc if you leave your merc sitting there. What do you do about it? Teleport. Use Teleport to pull your merc away from Meph when you see that he's getting beaten up. It's that simple. Meph will usually not move, if he does, it's just easy to Teleport around to get out of the way.

I personally don't use the moat trick, as it's more fun and faster to get up there, Static him down from behind your merc right next to Meph, then Teleport around like a fly while blasting away.

Have you thought about switching to a Prayer merc instead of Holy Freeze? IMO it's a better combo, because you don't need to use potions to heal, your merc does it for you. The only difference is that you have to keep on your toes, and you have less time to react to situations than with Holy Freeze.

My merc uses Insight Thresher, Duriels, and Crown of Thieves, and I can honestly say Meph haven't killed him for at least a dozen levelups. As soon as Meph appears, I unleash a Blizzard on top of him, followed by a barrage of Ice Blasts, then another Blizzard, rinse and repeat. Meph dies so quickly that he doesn't even have time to touch the merc. If anything, the Council members in Durance 3 are more of a threat to my merc than Meph ever will be.

Last time I ran meph my merc died all the time (I think it was about 2 months ago). I agree that it's wierd that he died back then, if he had insight duriel and cot, but that is what I recall - perhaps he had weaker items then? I don't know. But atm I don't have any problems whatsoever.

I think I'll stick with the holy freeze. I like it when teleporting in the durance lvl 2.

My meteorb merc uses insight CV, andy's, and duriels, and about the only thing he dies to is OK's. I just tele him out of the way vs meph when his HP gets low, and if the need should ever arise (very rarely), feed him a red.

TheBigClown, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I also have a Sorceress mana question. Let's say you were trying to max mana (I have a tournament idea) for a Sorceress through some hard points in Energy, equipment, and charms.

What kind of mana pool would be possible by level 40? I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate, i.e. 500, or 750.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High