Making a WW Barb

Neck Romancer

Mar 18, 2020
Just wanted to ask some advice on building a WW Barb.

Im using this link
if anyone has something more up-to-date please send it this way. :D

Basically:
Skills are
20 Whirlwind
20 Shout
20 Battle Orders
20 Weapon Mastery (Sword for me)

1 in
Berserk
Concentrate
Leap Attack
Ironskin
Natureal Resist
Increased Speed
Taunt
Battle Cry
War Cry
Battle Command

Stats are:
Str - Required
Dex - Required
Vit - Everything else
Ene - N/A

Merc:
Act 2 Nightmare Offensive merc (might)

Ive never played a barb before, so i was wondering, how long do war crys last for? Also what is the best way (skills to use) to get through normal?

The stun duration of War Cry is 4.8s at level 20, which is really good for an AoE stun. I respeced from Shout to War Cry and Baal runs have felt smoother since. You need to get the rhythm right, it's usually 2-3 whirls, 1 WC and repeat.

Stuff doesn't move, just gets moved down :)

You might want to skip increased speed (and save another point from inc. stamina) because Whrilwind becomes less efficient the faster the barb moves. For example, you whirl through the Lister pack and it takes 2 seconds, but with x increased run walk you take only 1.5s. Now you pay the same amount of mana for less hit checks and hits. There might be more to it, but I'm not that familiar with WW mechanics.

Normal will be slow and painful, maybe put one point into Double Swing so you don't have to single target everything.

I havent thought of using war cry. I will have to look into it.

I put on some unique swords, broad sword and falchion (gleamscythe) and it seems to help kill rates considerably.

Ok i will look at double swing. What do you mean by 9 points "is free" @Vang

I havent thought of using war cry. I will have to look into it.

I put on some unique swords, broad sword and falchion (gleamscythe) and it seems to help kill rates considerably.

Ok i will look at double swing. What do you mean by 9 points "is free" @Vang

The mana cost is reduced to zero at level 9.

Got him to level 36... one thing ive noticed with Whirlwind is that it stops abruptly, typically in dense groups of enemies. Lister is a perfect example, is there anyway to avoid this?

EDIT: Ok i might be getting better with WW cause it happens less often.

Last edited:
Got him to level 36... one thing ive noticed with Whirlwind is that it stops abruptly, typically in dense groups of enemies. Lister is a perfect example, is there anyway to avoid this?
Sure is. Dont click on monsters, click on empty spaces behind them. Clicking on monsters will give you the behavior you describe and can be the death of your barb.

Reactions: Friiser
I click and hold down at the back and edges of packs so that:

1. DPS is focused on those 3-4 monsters and not spread out over whole pack
2. Even if mana burned you can still get a final hit off and be able to whirl again. I feel when I play my barb a lot I get a better feeling for reading their animations and attack swings and can time it somewhat to more often than not continue whirling mana burners.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High