Looking for some bowazon gear advice

Harrid

May 19, 2006
Looking for some bowazon gear advice

Ok, so I finally got around to getting my bowazon into Hell difficulty at clvl 75. Her current skills are:

13 Magic Arrow
8 Strafe
20 Cold Arrow (or Ice Arrow? The one that adds damage to FA :laugh: )
14 Freezing Arrow (currently pushing this to max)

5 Critical Strike
5 Penetrate
7 Pierce
2 Valkyrie (misclick for the 2nd point here :laugh: )

+1 in all prerequisites, naturally

I had originally intended to make her a MA/Strafe build with 1 point FA, but I ended up liking FA enough to decide to max it (plus Strafe seems like it should be effective enough without a full investment, from what I can see). I do not regret the investment in MA, as I do find it useful against mana burners (read: Baal, who is the only mana burner that actually got close to me so far) and unleechables, although I will admit that putting those points into Penetrate instead might have been a better way to go. Anyway, my current gear is:

Lycander's Aim for FA/MA
'Harmony' RW in a Blade Bow for Strafe/GA
Vampire Gaze
Rattlecage
Razortail
crafted gloves with KB, +2 passives, +17 lit res
War Traveler
rare ammy with +1 amazon skills, +12 all res, +51 life, +10% MF
rare ring with +20 life, +8 all res, 3% ML, +56 AR
rare ring with +19 lit res, 3% LL, +9% MF

charms are +AR/damage, +cold damage, and some resistances

As you might guess, my resists in Hell are horrible. -34/-52/-15/-60. On the plus side, it means I do not need to worry much about Conviction/LR since they cannot get much lower :laugh:

I cleared up to the Stony Field WP so far (plus the cave in Cold Plains). Killing speed is not an issue, especially now that I dropped it to /p1 (/p8 Diablo and Baal in NM lasted forever, especially since I forgot to use Guided against the former <_<). But, on those rare occasions when something sneaks through my merc/valk/decoy/SM, it hurts. Especially since I am leaving Vit at 110 and pumping Dex, because I want to try a glass cannon build after my other tanky builds (at about the same point in the game, I have 3 druids and a barb >_>).

Ah, but I am being so overly verbose tonight, am I not?

I am thinking of running the countess to get runes for either Lionheart, Duress, or Gloom (or all 3, since I am sure that they will all be useful to various other characters too *shrugs*), any of which should be worth losing the flee effect of Rattlecage (and the CB, for the non-Duress options). As my experience with non-casters is fairly limited, though, I figured I would try appealing to the sages here for some direction. Gores over the WTs? Dracul's over the crafted gloves plus change the Gaze to Tal's/Valkyrie Wing? Hax in a Zod'ed ethereal Windforce :laugh: ? All ideas welcome.

IMO you have kind of hashed up your build... it is a hybrid now... I have made both just multishot amawzon, and freezing arrow, very fun and easy both of them...

IMO you have kind of hashed up your build... it is a hybrid now... I have made both just multishot amawzon, and freezing arrow, very fun and easy both of them...

@atigdng Not sure I agree with this - he might not have made a standard cookie cutter zon or used the optimum skill placement, but he should be able to make it work, and I don't think its bad enough to justify rebuilding.

@Harrid. Here is my advice. On the skills, I'd finish maxing FA ASAP. Once you've done that, extra points should go in strafe. Penetrate is good, but there are other (read better) ways of getting AR, but if you are really having trouble hitting things you could put some points in here.

Equipment: Try and make melody in a Matriacal +3 bow for +6 to bow skills. Of course, if you can afford the ICE runeword in the same bow then that just rox bigtime. Also, don't forget the runeword PEACE - +2 zon skills, ctc lvl 15 valk and cheap runes. Of the ones you listed, my choice would be Duress, extra dmg, cold dmg, some resists and CB make it the way to go. Your gloves could do with an upgrade, try to craft some with IAS as well as bow/passive skills would be my recommendation. On a final note - i don't see any CBF on your equipment - you need this! Try and get a ravenfrost.

Penetrate is good, but there are other (read better) ways of getting AR

Be carefull with AR.

The extra AR given by bowskills does not work (bug), to see your actual AR switch to normal arrows and look at the LCS.

For your build this concerns MA and the physical part of the FA.

Randall

I know that bow AR is bugged, which is part of the reason for using FA and GA. I have some 3500 AR right now with Harmony on, and I think about 4000 with Lycander's. I don't know exactly what that translates into as far as CtH is concerned, but I can take out most monster packs in the early parts of Act 1 Hell in 2-3 Strafes, so I do not think it is too bad :laugh: .

If I can Jah and Lo, I think there would be better things to do with them than Ice <_<. Peace does look interesting, though. Ravenfrost, I admittedly was hoping to avoid, just because I have a bit of a thiing against it for some reason, but I guess the added cold damage/duration and AR do make it a fairly attractive option.

Hi Harrid,
it's a nice build, don't worry about "misplaced" points. The great thing about non-elemental bow skills is, that they work fine with almost any number of skill-points, it depends on what you prefer. All you need is to maintain sufficient AR. After maxing FA, you can decide where to put the rest. Should you require a tougher tank, add more points into Valkyrie, should you miss to much, increase Penetrate or just boost Strafe for even more damage.

I also used to travel through hell with negative resistances in SC keeping the WWS on switch in some annoying areas (e.g. Durance of Hate with all those firewalls). Otherwise the Lycander's Aim proved very useful, in fact, all of its attributes are great.

I might suggest changing your armor. The CB is reduced for ranged attacks and I doubt the fleeing works also for champions/bosses. Duriel's Shell is easily found, has nice resistances, boosts your life and provides CBF. With a powerful MA, you should be gaining mana while shooting, thus trying a different headgear is also an option. All exceptional helms are nice, each has its benefits. Since you play a hybrid, the Valkyrie Wing really could be the choice. A rare circlet can have great mods and besides makes the zon look cool (unlike VW). Gloves with +2 passive are good, pity, they lack the 20% IAS :tongue:

One thing to consider is the partial/full Mavina's set. It took me an eternity to find the armor, though I was lucky with finding the diadem pretty soon.

Woo, more tips. Awesome.

I also used to travel through hell with negative resistances in SC keeping the WWS on switch in some annoying areas (e.g. Durance of Hate with all those firewalls). Otherwise the Lycander's Aim proved very useful, in fact, all of its attributes are great.
I did consider putting one of my Witchwild's on this character, actually, but I felt that would ruin my investment in MA. Besides, I had negative resists for my hammerdin all the way until Act 4 in Hell, and he got hit WAAAY more often than girl (with 75% blocking, which says quite a bit about how rarely my zon gets struck, I think), and had no leech aside from Redemption, so I figured that the convenience of having single digit absolute values for my resists was not overly necessary :laugh: .

I might suggest changing your armor. The CB is reduced for ranged attacks and I doubt the fleeing works also for champions/bosses. Duriel's Shell is easily found, has nice resistances, boosts your life and provides CBF. With a powerful MA, you should be gaining mana while shooting, thus trying a different headgear is also an option. All exceptional helms are nice, each has its benefits. Since you play a hybrid, the Valkyrie Wing really could be the choice. A rare circlet can have great mods and besides makes the zon look cool (unlike VW). Gloves with +2 passive are good, pity, they lack the 20% IAS :tongue:
I definately agree that my armor is my weakest link. Fleeing helps keep me safe, but it also interferes with exploiting my 100% piercing and provides nothing else of real benefit (as you say, 25% CB with ranged attacks should not be a build-maker) (on a side note, at work today, it occured to me that Duriel's Shell would be a nice choice, if only I had one). I do have a +2 skills VW that I thought of using, but I figured that tripling my leeching would do more for me, and yes, the helm style also looks bad (except on druids, for some reason...at least to me). I think I should have a few nice circlets, so maybe I can search through my stash for something better, but the looks and leech on Vamp. Gaze are just so nice :laugh: .

The gloves were kind of funny. I was trying to make nice blood gloves for my hammerdin to speed up Baal runs, and figured "What the hell, let me try doing one batch of hit power gloves too." Those were the result. Not too bad for one try, huh? :laugh:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High