Lindon - Twinked SC Hammerdin on a Mission

Congrats on level 98 and making your goal!

Looks like your Hammerdin hit 98 on the same day that my Hammerdin hit 98 :p . But you started three weeks after me ... and I don't even want to know how much time I've spent playing ... (I'm sure it's way more than 90 hours) ... but again, I really don't want to know ...

Best wishes for finding your Stormlash and a death free level 98!

P.S. Glad to hear you're giving Lindon a break for a month ... my Helm-Hammerhand needs a good long head start :D . See you at the finish line!

• Love
Reactions: Luhkoh
Well I wasn't going to do the math (because I was pretty sure I would get cold feet if I knew exactly what I was getting into) but after doing two and half hours of Baal runs and not getting a speck of white on the xp bar I decided I'd better take a look at the numbers.

At clvl 98 I'm getting an average of 83,392xp per P8 Baal run. 32,306xp from clearing throne and waves, and 51,086xp from Baal (with +5% xp boost from Ondal's Wisdom). So just looking at these numbers it became really clear that I needed faster access to where the bulk of the xp is located (at the boss). Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a better than +5% xp boost when defeating said boss. And, since xp shrines aren't found on the way to Baal and wouldn't do you any good at Baal anyways as you get cursed as soon as you enter the Worldstone Chamber ... all signs pointed to it was time head to the Chaos Sanctuary.

Switching players settings mid run has always seemed pretty cheesy to me but at clvl 98 the advantages seem too great to ignore. With Diablo himself being such a huge percentage of all xp in a clvl 98 Chaos run I'm going to go with your approach: Set players 1 for Infector of Souls and Lord de Seis and then set players 8 for the Grand Vizier and Diablo. With this approach I'm averaging 52,508xp per run. My map has three shrines (one at the RoF waypoint, and two in the Chaos Sanctuary), if one of them is an xp shrine my average goes up to 76,500xp per run.

Considering I can do 2-3 Chaos Sanctuary runs in the time it takes to do a Baal run the choice is easy from an xp per hour point of view. But how will drops compare? ... to soon to tell. Lots, probably most, of my goodies from Baal running came from the P8 Throne Room. On the other hand, I'll get a lot more boss drops at Diablo ... so I'm predicting it'll be about an even trade.

I briefly considered running Nihlathak but then thought better of it ... In my experience it's best not to even go in there without over-capped resistances, huge amounts of all forms of damage reduction, and most importantly a sustainable means of replenishing life (like leech and or tap) ... I imagine a caster like a hammerdin would either go in there and burn through full rejuvenation potions (and then either have to waste a lot of time looking for more), or would be really timid to use full rejuvenation potions (not wanting to waste a lot of time looking for more) and end up dead ... but again, that's just my sense of things. Besides, I'm equally interested in finding grailers and with the damage reduction gear I'd need at Nihlathak the odds would probably go way down ...

Cheers! -HSF

@HanShotFirst For sure! Baal gets pretty bad at 98 compared to diablo or nihl. He's not so terrible that you cant mix in some runs of him every now and then, but yeah a good bit slower.

As far as switching psettings midway through, I definitely do that, as I have described, but just leaving the psetting on p7 isn't very much difference, if you are interested in testing that out yourself and comparing the numbers. Also compare the xp gain of p7 diablo to p8 diablo. At least in modern patches, p8 is no different exp-wise to p7, due to a maximum exp that can be gained from a monster (and baal caps out on p3 for exp). I'm not at all positive this is the same for your version, but I think it is, so give it a test!

Also if doing CS runs, see if you have any shrines close to waypoints in act 1 anywhere before black marsh. These have an 18% chance of being an exp shrine as oppose to 8.2% in most of the later game. Actually again I'm not sure if this is true for old versions either lol. I don't know much about them.

On nihlathak, I sorta want to test him out too, but dont want to give up the rune drops and stormlash chances from CS. If doing nihla, I would try a mercless hdin and slap on a natures peace. That should make the snakes not terrible (due to avoiding nextdelay from not having a merc), and I THINK the runs would be very doable. But again I'm talking 1.14 and haven't tested.

As far as the drops go, for me I feel like its something like:
Baal - poor for runes, poor for tc87s (but better than nihla)
CS - good for runes, almost zero tc87s (but best for stormlash)
Nihla - medium for runes, poor for tc87s

Hahaha. Good luck!

@Luhkoh - Thanks for the tips!

Your advice appears to hold true for 1.11b. P7 and P8 Diablo results in the same experience ... so I guess I might as well go with P7. Also, I have a shrine one teleport off the Stony Field waypoint and (without doing extensive tracking) it does appear to be an xp shrine at a better than average rate. The xp bar is moving slowly ... but it is moving :D .

Hiatus Update
Hours in: 98
Level: 98.07

Hi everyone. Wanted to give an update on this project even though I haven't finished a 15 hour stint to get things up to current. Unfortunately Lindon's runefinding hasn't been contributing to the runeword grail progress nearly as much as I hoped (projected to find a bit over 2 "cubed jahs" by 98 hours in, and got to exactly 1). Then during rfl, i was reminded how different the rate of rune progress feels with a "real" runefinding run :D. That, coupled with the vast chasm ahead that is lvl 98 (not to mention first baby due in a couple of weeks :p) has just left me totally uninterested in this project. I very well may come back to it at some point, but have no plans to soon. So the project is on hiatus.

However, I did collect some very interesting exp efficiency data before I lost interest, and even had some nice finds. Also wanted to show off his gear for this level, and show a video of what the runs look like.

Finds
Runes: gul
Noteable s/u: azurewrath, boneflame, boneshade, bk ring, eth reapers 208/15!

That eth reapers is my second ever and was quite fun to find!

Gear
As I mentioned in the most recent post, I went with a 402mf setup to make finding stormlash more likely. The best available way that works was with using most of the usual gear and stacking a bunch of mf scs. Well, while it worked ok, my idea of getting 80 fire res through points in resist fire just wasn't quite getting the job done against infector. I would often lose more than half my hp fighting his pack even when they had no dangerous mods (especially after I switched to doing him on p7, which I will discuss below). Which wasn't too dangerous, but it meant my potion usage was far too frequent for my taste. So, as you can probably guess, I went back to rising sun. Hurts the hammer dmg a good bit, but the runs are still almost as fast and the comfort is much, much better. See the video below for the full gear. Same mf and similar life. I didnt respec to remove the points from resist fire, so the defense could be higher.

Maybe a bit rusty in that video, and the game doesn't usually lag like that nor have such long load times. I guess OBS was to blame? Idk. But that's about how they look anyways. The shrine checking and playersetting will be discussed below.

Exp Efficiency
Shrines
So a few interesting things to discuss. First is my shrine checking behavior. I have the 3 shrines "on the way" in chaos, which I would always check, and which have an 8.2% chance of being an xp shrine. Then I have up to 5 a1 shrines I can check on a somewhat reasonable route, all of which have an 18% chance to be an exp shrine (see here for shrine chances). But it takes a fair bit of time to check them all, so I wondered if it was worth the time, or if only checking a couple was best or what. So what I did to analyze that was time myself doing runs checking 0, 1, and all 5 act 1 shrines. Did about 20 runs of each of those, and then I counted the number of extra teles (as compared to checking 1 a1 shrine) for checking 2-4 a1 shrines and calc'd the projected time from that. Ended up looking like this.
Code:
a1 shrines   runtime
----------   -------
   0          82.80
   1          85.90
   2          89.14
   3          90.94
   4          92.74
   5          92.94

So then with that data, its a bit complicated, but we can calc the overall chance to get an xp shrine, and adjust the runtime based on which shrine you check is xp (as in, if the first a1 shrine is xp, you won't take the fill time of checking 5 shrines). Looks like this for the case of checking 4 a1 shrines for example.
VWlKCg6.png

And then finally, here is all options summarized
83V0tbq.png

So as you can see, it is indeed worth it to take all that extra time to check all of the a1 shrines, despite it adding more than 10 seconds to the run! That was a pretty fun calc!

Playersetting
Now, even more interestingly. The above numbers are all for p1/p7 runs. Where I hit infector and de seis on p1 and then switch to p7 before hitting vizier and ofc diablo. I guess that is slightly less efficiency than doing vizier on p1, but I just can't stomach losing out on extra rune drops from his minions to save 0.5s per run. Just for comparison, and just to see "how much worse" it is, I decided to also try just doing the whole run on p7. Imagine my surprise when it turned out I was getting better exp/hr doing that! This definitely was unexpected.

Those minions give so little exp compared to diablo that I thought they were irrelevant. But after I actually calc'd it out, I figured out your runtime has to go up by at least 10% when you do all p7 runs for p1/p7 to be better. It varies a bit based on how many shrines you check, but p7 is even a little better compared to p1 if you check less than me (for example would have to be 12% faster on p1/p7 if I only checked the three a4 shrines). In my case, I only add about 5-6s to my runtime from doing everything on p7. So all p7 is definitely better for me, and I suspect would actually be better for most everyone running hdin. I guess p8/p7 would also need to be tested for completeness :D. But meh.

Now to be fair, I am much more likely to die from p7 die seis than p1 de seis, so thats a factor in favor of p1/p7, but whatever, Id rather have better exp when not dying, better rune drops, and zero changing of psetting for convenience.

Here is the projected exp/hr chart per shrine when my runs are adjusted up 5-6s (based on runtime testing).
ZrQVB4J.png

Much better! And lastly, I did track this method, while running with a lot of focus for an hour and got this result.
Code:
all p7, 3xa4, 5xa1 shrines
---------------------------
start runs    4,886
start timer   93.47
start exp     3,241,266,520
end runs      4,929
end timer     94.59
end exp       3,244,672,486
runtime       93.77
xp/run        79,209
xp/s          845
xp/hr         3,041,041

So broke 3million as predicted :). I thought getting >3m would be easier tbh, and also thought that I would be able to get faster p1/p7 times, but I'll take it. Still though, not neeeearly as nice the exp/hr I was getting with my sorc from nihlathak (was 3.7-3.8mill). I'm sure I could make it slightly faster by running with more dmg and less mf, but I doubt it would make too much of a difference. @ffs @PhineasB @Neksja did you guys ever compare p1/p7 vs all p7 for lvl 98 chaos hdin? And have any of you seen anyone get significantly more than 3m xp/hr with one? I think Corrupted had something similar to me, but not sure how many have tried to push it.

Ok that's all from me. Hope everybody is doing well and has a nice weekend! 🍻.

Last edited:
This is a great thread; thanks for making it!

I have a question, though, and it may be an easy one. My highest level character is 90. I've never even really* tried to get higher than that, and you got to 94 in less than a day. Can you elaborate on how you got to 94 so quickly? Is it just runs, runs, runs?

* I have a hammerdin sitting at (I think) 90 right now. I got so bored with CS runs that I stopped levelling him. Did you do anything to change up the run?

Edit: congrats on the little one!

EDIT: Just added videos of my runs to "Update 2" and "Update 4" (2seal lvl 95 and full cs lvl 97 runs, respectively). Not sure why I didn't have them there to begin with.

@snickersnack sure! I took me more than a day, unless you mean just by hours. Was 15 hours from start character to that first update at 94.08. As described I got to hell eldeitch and lvl'd to 88 in just under 8 hours. Then it just took 7 hours of two seal runs to get to that level. The early nineties are like butter with hdin. It looks like I didn't post a video of the 2 seal runs? Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but if not, that was an oversight. Here is a video of the runs when I was lvl 95. Thats exacly what I did between lvl's 88 and 97.

@d2lover you can see what act 1 areas I checked in that running video. For me its cold plains and one in stony field if necessary. In addition to the 3 in rof/cs. You can see what areas have a high chance for exp in my previous post where it says "see here for shrine chances". It would definitely make sense to reroll maps for good shrines, you can see the effect they have in my exp tables above. I rerolled till I had the a4 layout I wanted with 3 shrines on route, and then just saw what shrines I had available to me in a1 and came up with that route.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High