Is Diablo 3 officially in pure maintenance mode?

Vang

PurePremium
Staff member
Guide Author
Feb 23, 2006
After watching Blizzcon, you can tell that D4, Immortal, and D2:R are all on the up and coming and even the developers and the head of Diablo basically said Immortal on the go and D2:R until D4 is released. (Most likely inserting my opinion, but is what I got from the conversations). Not that I particularly care for D3 for more than a week or so after a season, but I always have hopes it could be redeemed.

This I took:

• Immortal knows that one path of exponential power is not good, and they are adding multiple paths to progress that still has an endpower, not sure why this wasn't thought up redoing the power levels in D3.
  • D2:R as many of you pointed out looks amazing, why is the art style not copied in D4? Further more, could we see a D3 relaunch.
  • One note of D3 was a comical jest at best, the D3 devs made sure Double Treasure Goblins for rest of season! (This can't be much more than a toggle, since it tends to happen every season)
  • It seems like the wanted to sell more copies of D3 since they included an option to buy D2:R + D3.
  • Overall as a company, it looks like Blizzard is going back to their roots of what made them create virtual worlds and have people dedicated to them (Seems some SC announcement is incoming next year) At least is what I gathered watching.

So with that where does D3 really stand? Is it on the back burner or just waiting to be shelved? The one thing I've noticed is that Reaper of Souls was D2's LOD and 1.09 patch. The formula hasn't changed. The game has been stagnant. Are they going to go out and do a big turn with a 1.10 patch so to speak and revamp the game? Would a progression/power revamp make the game more worthy again?

Things I'd love to see:
  • A newly revamped game with the Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno mode.
  • Return to the old school deadly modifiers creatures had, the old molten is shown here:
  • Return to max paragon level, and more inline with how Immortal is designed (might be in the works for all we know)
  • Less numbers overall would be grand (+100 instead of +10000 is an example)

I have a feeling it will slip into obscurity with the masses like D2 did a few years after launch. Blizzard tends to drop the ball until the next big announcement which has happened now with D4. Blizzard had a window of opportunity to release more content for D3 and didn't take it, there was a lot of apathy towards the game which may be why. Plus, they spent a lot of time trying to fix it with loot 2.0 etc.

With the announcement of D2 Resurrected I find myself not wanting to play D2 so much to prevent having a burn out because when D2 Resurrected releases I'm going to put insane hours into it. I'll still jump into D2 regular from time to time since we don't have a release date yet, but I'm finding myself wanting to play more D3 since its probably the one Diablo game I wont come back to once Resurrected and D4 come out.

So yeah, I think D3 is gonna fall on the back burner or maintenance mode. Personally its felt like its been on that for some time now already. I want to enjoy the last of it while I still have an interest in playing it.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High