HOTO vs Leoric

perihagen

Banned
Jun 8, 2006
HOTO vs Leoric

Hi, I wonder why all summoners use hoto. Leoric gives +2 summon, +3 rais skeleton, +3 skell mastery and +2 skell mage, which means +5 RS, +5 SM and +4 skeleton mage. Hoto only gives +3 all skills. I think leoric is better and it is cheaper too.

Me too.

You're absolutely right, HotO is a pretty second-rate summoner stick, especially when you're focusing on pure minion damage.

My guess is, having something else than Leoric on your hand avoids the ctc bone prision? And you keep the +3 skills to curse and CE. Imo it is not necesary I just keep the leoric all the time and try to not get hit in first place... And some will mention resistances from Hoto and FCR maybe to tele? And the extra Mana may be usefull.

For me, it was always the issue of bone prison casting. If you play like me, and you like tele-ing right into the thick of things, you want fcr, and not to get trapped by a wall of bones all the time.

More resists are always nice too.

I liked HotO over AoKL for the same reason I liked Spirit broad swords over Occy's (at least, before I could war HotO) - I hate when things autocast.

I'm going to make a summoner and i really dont care about the bone prison casting and the reason is simple: i wont be summonig skeletons all the time, i'll use loeric arm and boneflame with 3 skills to summon skellies after finishing and after summing i'm gonna change weapons to homonculus/spirit and beast/last wish.

I think it comes down to playstyle. I tele right onto the front edge of bosspacks, bosses, etc, and then peel off, which keeps me out of danger for the duration of the fight, and gets all of my summons in range. But I'm not max block, so I suffer that first hit pretty often. A few kills, and my enigma fills my life back up. So for me, CtC bone prison is pretty debilitating.

By the same token, I want a fast teleport. So yes, those things are the difference. I certainly agree that prior to having enough +skills to just roll through the game, AoKL is the top choice. But my army already chews baal up in ~20seconds. Clearly I'm not missing the +2skele/mast very much...

I uber with it too. More revives helps more than better skeles in there, in my opinion. More urdars = more CB. At the same time, the resist is even more important in uber trist.

Gord

Yet the minions keep on spawning, and the tele onto uber meph w/o good resists is scary, the first time I tried it with a boneflame + leoric, I died the instant I teled onto him, now with my Pdiamond homunc + hoto, I can tele onto him, leisurly stroll away, and begin to cast decriptify and terror. Resists are very important in Uber Trist, and for the more aggressive/ubering players, I beleive that Hoto > Leoric, to compare them... lets see.

Hoto
+40 fcr
+3 ALL skills
+30-40 resist all

Leoric
+10 fcr
+3 skeles
+2 mages
+2 summon
+2 poison and bone

With leoric you lost tons of resists and fcr for maybe 50-100 more damage, with lvl 40+ skeles, easily attainlable w/o AoKL, your skeles will have more than 9k hp, and dmg doesnt really matter, as the main uber/boss killers are your merc and the urdars with massive crushing blow, your skeles and mages are really only there for meat shields.

Yet the minions keep on spawning, and the tele onto uber meph w/o good resists is scary, the first time I tried it with a boneflame + leoric, I died the instant I teled onto him, now with my Pdiamond homunc + hoto, I can tele onto him, leisurly stroll away, and begin to cast decriptify and terror. Resists are very important in Uber Trist, and for the more aggressive/ubering players, I beleive that Hoto > Leoric, to compare them... lets see.

Hoto
+40 fcr
+3 ALL skills
+30-40 resist all

Leoric
+10 fcr
+3 skeles
+2 mages
+2 summon
+2 poison and bone

With leoric you lost tons of resists and fcr for maybe 50-100 more damage, with lvl 40+ skeles, easily attainlable w/o AoKL, your skeles will have more than 9k hp, and dmg doesnt really matter, as the main uber/boss killers are your merc and the urdars with massive crushing blow, your skeles and mages are really only there for meat shields.

if you dont care about the skill level then use wizardspike, you'll get more res, more fcr and more mana and its cheaper then hoto :rolleyes:

if you dont care about the skill level then use wizardspike, you'll get more res, more fcr and more mana and its cheaper then hoto :rolleyes:

I second that. The +3 to skills only saves one of your skellies. Too bad CE and your curses suffer quite a bit, though. And the dexterity requirements might be too high, if you didn't go for max block.

Has no one thought about simply wearing AOKL to summon, then switching to HoTo afterwards? That's what I do; that way my skellies retain their bonues from the extra +skills. I use Beast in Uber for the fanat anyhow, and I'd rather have 15-16 skellies with fanat than 16-17 without.

As for Hoto, I use it in duels for the FCR and resists. Good luck in a duel with an AOKL; possible, but debilitating. When one examines a simple weapon swap after the army is created, there really is no further use for AOKL afterwards. I use an IstIst ali baba outside of duels and uber trist for MF. Plus, there is that annoying bone wall aspects, which I find to be horribly annoying.

Either way, just use AOKL for the summoning then switch to Hoto/Wizzy/Beast afterwards. All three of those have advantages that, at least in my learned opinion, outweigh AOKL by far.

You also have to keep in mind about resists and whatnot is that, no matter how strong your skellies are, they die if you die, so keeping yourself alive is always #1 priority. You can't re-summon yourself.

Hoto is much more well rounded than either AoKL or Wiz, and I therefore use it. I cant use aokl on switch, as I use CTA, and I value the extra life much more than +2 to skeles.

Dont get me wrong, I care about the lvl of my skeles, its just finding the balance between....
1) Number of Skeles
2) Strength of Skeles
3) Power/Range of CE
4) Range of Curses
5) Resists
6) FCR

Hoto simply gives you the best of all worlds, while the other 3 (aokl, wiz, and beast) only give you a few on the list, and at the cost of one vex, it isnt really that expensive to make.

I used AoKL for a long time, but eventually switched to Hoto mostly for two reasons. First is because Hoto and Homu alone pretty much negate the Hell resistance penalties and bring you to zero res in Hell all by themselves. With a torch, anni, and an ammy with 15+ all res you are pretty close maxed on res in Hell (way more than a summon nec even needs). This leaves you free to choose all other gear without worrying about any of it having any res at all. The other reason I switched from AoKL to Hoto was that I always hated the Bone Prison. It's easy to get out of with tele, but it is still just really annoying.

I also have CTA on switch. I put on AOKL, summon my army, then remove it and put on beast. Then my CTA weapon switch is still there and i still get the inherent bonuses from AOKL without having it equipped at all. That was what I was referring to.

I usually just keep it and a +3 sum ammy in my cube or in stash.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High