Have I ruined my Meteorb?

Feb 17, 2006
Have I ruined my Meteorb?

Well, I think I have ruined my Meteorb, I dont really know If I messed up the skills, but here goes:

2 Ice Bolt :rolleyes:
1 Ice Blast
1 Glacial Spike
1 Blizzard
16 Froze Orb (Currently Maxing)
1 CM

8 Fire Bolt
11 Fire Ball
1 Inferno
1 Blaze
1 Firewall

When I just made the char, I thougt I was never going to use Meteor, but as I started using FO, I thought Meteor would come in handy, and now at Clvl 45 I have no points spent in Meteor :undecided: Can I still save my char, like if I work on the cold three, and then starting to Max Meteor, Fireball and Firebolt. I really dont know If I want to go for Max FM or FB? :undecided: So basiclly, did I break my built when putting too many points in Fire Bolt?

I want to do Baal, Meph, Pindle and other Area 85 runs, and hopefully with /players3-6 or so.

Your build is still salvagable; it's not like you've wasted any skill points from the final build (with the possible exception of Icebolt, which is at least a synergy). The problem is, you'll have access to your killing skills rather late in the game, but FO should be all that you need for NM.

After maxing Orb, put 1 pt in Fire Mastery and then max Fireball. Fireball will be your main spell in Hell difficulty anyway (Orb against FI and Meteor cast once in a while on groups and especially tough enemies). After that, invest in Cold Mastery and Meteor, in order of preferance and depending on how much you have to invest in CM to reach lvl 17 with items. After you mat your meteorb and complete the build, make a pure Blizz sorc to run the targets you mentioned...

Good luck and have fun!

I dont think you've ruined the build yet. Basically you've messed up 1 point which shouldn't make or break you.

That said, you want Meteor. FO will be the only skill you need on NM but by Act 2 Hell you will be using FB/Met as your main skills and FO for FI only. I personally follow the build outlined by Sasja which is to put 8 hard points into CM. As for FM/FBolt, the formula as I understand it is to keep the total point level of FM 10-11 points below the hard point synergies in FB. In other words, say you have 20 in Meteor(hard points) and 8 in FB(again hard points). Thats 28 total. so you would want 17-18 total points in FM in including those from +skill items. Obviously your way ahead on the Fbolt side so you need to catch up the FM points.

My lvl 81 Meteorb has:

FO 25 w/skills
CM 13 w/skills

FBolt 4 (hard points)
FB 24
Met 25
FM 12 (7 hard/5 +skills)

My Orb is so-so but I only use it on FI's. My FBall is good,but I look for opportunities to use Meteor. Even still, I'm cruising along pretty well in Act 3 Hell. No deaths on hell at all so far.

Im self found/untwinked so I have to do my best with what I've got. The experts will tell you that a CM 17 is what you should aim for, however I find it possible to work around that.

Hope this helps some.

Llathias: Pure Blizzsorc for Baal runs? How?

chillnkill: I am atlso currently untwinked, but I will twink her as I move along.

Thanks guys, it helps alot :thumbsup:

I tend to almost only use Frozen Orb and Fireball with my Meteorb (although Meteor is _very_ handy vs groups of Horadrim Ancients :))

Hmmm i heard that Fbold is better for end-game synergizing for Fball than Fmastery...can someone confirm this?

Hmmm i heard that Fbold is better for end-game synergizing for Fball than Fmastery...can someone confirm this?

It's true; just look at the %s spells synergize each other. 14% for fire bolt and 7% IIRC for FM. The downside is your meteor suffers, but you will use FB much more.

Originally Posted by mr hamster

It's true; just look at the %s spells synergize each other. 14% for fire bolt and 7% IIRC for FM. The downside is your meteor suffers, but you will use FB much more.

Actually I'm not so sure that is true. I'm no expert by any means but I've read the math in the SPF and like most things it's more complicated than just the simple numbers. As I mentioned earlier, I believe the best FB/Met power mix has been determined by the number crunchers to be 10-11 less total points in FM than hard points in FB synergies. In other words, there are times when 1 point in FM increases FB more than a point in Fbolt.

Any of the experts care to enlighten us?

Actually I'm not so sure that is true. I'm no expert by any means but I've read the math in the SPF and like most things it's more complicated than just the simple numbers. As I mentioned earlier, I believe the best FB/Met power mix has been determined by the number crunchers to be 10-11 less total points in FM than hard points in FB synergies. In other words, there are times when 1 point in FM increases FB more than a point in Fbolt.

Any of the experts care to enlighten us?

Here I found what I had read....This is from PhatTrumpet
The full thread is here: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478804

No. If you want maximum Fire Ball damage just do what I said in my first post. I still don't think you quite understand the concept, so I'll give it one more try:

First, I found that 13% thing you were referring to and it's both misleading and inaccurate. Just ignore it.

Second, by 20 Mastery sasja means put 20 points in, but that's just a rough skill placement. I'm talking about the effects of masteries and synergies.

On to the final attempt at explanation, through an example this time:

Say your Sorc has +10 all skills and has the following fire tree skill placement: 1 Fire Bolt, 20 Fire Ball, 20 Meteor, 1 Fire Mastery. As you can see, we have a total of 21 points in Fire Ball synergies and a displayed slvl 11 Fire Mastery (1+10). The difference between the number of points placed in Fire Ball synergies and the displayed slvl Fire Mastery is 21-11=10. The resulting Fire Ball damage is 2872-3163 (3017.5 avg).

Say you level up. You can either place this additional point into Fire Bolt (giving 22 synergy points and 11 mastery, [synergy]-[mastery]=11) or Fire Mastery (giving 21 synergy points and 12 mastery, [synergy]-[mastery]=9). Putting the point into Fire Bolt yields 2974-3276 Fire Ball damage (3125 avg). Putting the point instead into Fire Mastery yields 2972-3274 Fire Ball damage (3123.5 avg). Fire Bolt in this case yields the most damage, where the difference between synergy and mastery is 11.

Now say you level up again. You may automatically think the additional point should go to Fire Bolt, but Fire Bolt ([synergy]-[mastery]=12) would yield 3076-3388 dmg (3232 avg) whereas Fire Mastery ([synergy]-[mastery]=10) would yield 3078-3390 dmg (3234 avg). Fire Mastery in this case yields the most damage, where the difference between synergy and mastery is 10.

This pattern (difference = 10-11) will continue until you can no longer place points into one skill or the other. This is the break-even point. I don't know how better to spell this out...

Thanks...but the difference is quite small from your example...would a nooby 1/2 1/2 split work too? :shocked:

Thanks...but the difference is quite small from your example...would a nooby 1/2 1/2 split work too? :shocked:

I would suggest you play with one of the skill calculators to see how the numbers pan out. You might consider holding some points back to until you see what sort of +skill items you stumble across.

I have lvl'd my Meteorb to 51 now, done maxing FO and working on Fball. I thought I would use more FB than Meteor, my Ladder Blizzballer did very good with FB in hell. But I altso want to do Meph at a fast rate.

That's not completely correct.

Only FBolt is a synergy to FBall for 14%.

FM enhances the FBall damage after adding the synergy damage. And FM is no synergy, it is affected by +skills.

Small example. Maxed FBall + 20 points in FBolt/FM

Example 1, 20 points in FBolt:
213FBall Dam + 280% FBolt(20pts)
= 213 * (100%+280%)
= 809 Dam

Example 2, 20 points in FM only: (only for calculating, as in game you would always have 1 pt in FBolt for FBall)
213 FBall Dam + 163% FM(20pts)
= 213 * (100%*163%)
= 560 Dam

Example 3, 15 points in FBolt and 5 points for FM
213 FBall Dam + 210% FBolt(15pts) + 58% FM(5pts)
= ( 213 * (100%+210%) ) * (100% + 58%)
= 660.3 * (100%+58%)
= 1043 Dam

So a mix of both, where FBolt is the higher one is most effective.
As FM works with +skills as soon as you have between +5 and +10 fire skills, you are most likely best off by putting 1 in FM and maxing FBolt.

Randall

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High