Hardest Area

Excalibur

Guide Author
Jul 3, 2012
www.youtube.com
Hey guys,

So which one do you think is the hardest area in the game?
When moving to Hell from Nightmare I think the difficulty raises a lot especially in Act 5 with the introduction of monsters (mostly ranged) from other Acts.

I think WSK in all levels can be quite fatal but if I had to make one pick it would be between WSK lvl 3 and Throne Room.

WSK Level 3 can spawn with the deadly Death Lords, Oblivion Knights & Hell Witches.
Throne Room for the Black Souls, Hell Witches and again Death Lords & Oblivion Knights.

I mainly play melee characters, so this definitely shades my choice, but the hardest area for me is Frozen River (Hell diff).

Gloams and Hell Witches spawn frequently in FR and the terrain is seemingly designed to give them a significant advantage over melee characters. All the rivers block movement, but without providing any cover, so I'm always frantically running towards the one little footbridge that lets me get to the other side to retaliate while being pelted with projectiles. Hell Witches also make the guest melee monsters especially deadly (Corrupted Rogues and Snakes) because they frequently curse you with Amp Dmg. Both those monster types are inherently fast, and they seem even faster in their guest forms. Again, a huge pain in the ass when you're instantly swarmed by tons of melee monsters when you're cursed.

Good choice THC. If you get Burning Archers and Spear Cats, Bloody Foothills can be bad too for melee for similar reasons.

Reactions: TopHatCat64
Halls of Vaught. Those Tomb Vipers are nasty, and when you add Nihlathak's Corpse Explosion on top it is my number one.

I second THC. Frozen river is no doubt the most likely place for me to die in a playthrough.

I'm not sure how it compares to icy cellar/swampy pit though tbh, because I never go there. They def have some nasty monsters though.

WSK for me since the hardest monster type to deal with is an extra fast death lord.

For me, I think it's still Arreat Summit. It's the one place we can't use a town portal to go replenish potions. There have been a few times when I have schlepped an inventory full of extra potions to the summit, dumped them on the ground, and gone back to Harrogath to buy another inventory of potions from Malah, then returned to the summit to start the battle. As fighting progressed, I picked up potions as necessary to try to keep myself and the mercenary alive, yet I still ran out of potions before I was able to defeat all three ancients.

Good choice THC. If you get Burning Archers and Spear Cats, Bloody Foothills can be bad too for melee for similar reasons.
No joke, sometimes I can't farm Shenk just because there way too many of those ranged units.
Even those Quill Rats can be annoying. But I am moslty having problems here with fragile casters.

By the way, what about the areas where those Reanimated Undead spawn?
Ever since they buffed their Charge I am really carefoul as how to proceed.
I've died plenty times to them by teleporting next to them while also being amplified by a single hit.

For those that have a problem with missiles, rune word Sanctuary renders them virtually harmless.

Here is the first of a collection of videos showing how good rune word Sanctuary shield is at rending monster missiles virtually harmless. For those who think I'm a wimp for using a shield, please note that this character uses a 2 handed weapon as it's only form of attack. It's hardcore and /p8.

Reactions: Steel Onion
Hey noob... on switch.
Yeah maxicek probably just hasn't played nearly as many years as you. Someday he will realize the op'ness of sanctuary swap and doom merc. Just gotta keep practicing :).

Yeah maxicek probably just hasn't played nearly as many years as you. Someday he will realize the op'ness of sanctuary swap and doom merc. Just gotta keep practicing :).
I'm glad to help the noobs like you and him too learn new things. Now the employee of the forum has no reason to suggest I'm a wimp for sharing helpful information directly related to struggles being mentioned in this thread. Doom merc has nothing to do with the effectiveness of Sanctuary.

• Wow
Reactions: Luhkoh and Babyhell
@Babyhell Holy Freeze + Reapers pretty much shuts everything down and for Physical builds (probably - I haven't done the sums) has a better result on the end damage than Might + Doom.

Reactions: Babyhell
But Doom merc is still nice whatsoever
It doesn't change anything regarding my Sanctuary point, whatsoever. Doom was brought up as a redirection to draw the conversation away from the fact that I'm 100% correct and the experts ain't so experty. The problem here, the real problem, is the resident experts are so stuck and set in their ways that they think they know best and troll anyone who doesn't play the way they do. Wait till they see my video rendering Souls and Witches harmless with Sanctuary. They'll lose their mind and come up with another excuse to trash me.

I'd like to see the experts do this with Holy Freeze and Reapers. No BO either.

Ok. I have been reading your comments very patiently, but your animus is just extraordinary. Let's just analize this video for a second:
First, I think you're mixing up the semantics because by saying that Sanctuary is good you're making it sound like it's really good, when what you're saying is that it barely works. We can all assume this runeword works because it was programmed into the game, it's mods function the way they're intended to and it doesn't crash the game every time you use one of the Slow Missile charges. None of this makes Sanctuary a good runeword. Also you're saying that you can render "Souls and Witches harmless" which sounds far fetched since these archers in the video above dropped your life below the 700s.
Second, it took you two minutes to kill those few monsters, which means you're lacking dmg, and to add to that you're running out of mana constantly. Those two issues Sanctuary isn't solving for you. It's patently obvious to anyone who watched this that by dealing more dmg and leaching more you don't need to worry about the missiles since everything is already dead.
Third, you say you're not using BO in the video but at the start you have almost 4k life and at the end you have 2k. That can only mean that you casted BO before recording started and it ran out before recording ended.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High