Guardian Axer: a 2-handed Axe Wielding Paladin with Jarulf a Cold focused Iron Wolf

Vang

PurePremium
Staff member
Guide Author
Feb 23, 2006
I love 2 handed warriors in Diablo. They are powerful and do well until Hell unless your really high level. I powered quite a few through and enjoyed them fiercely. I wanted to recreate that with a paladin. Looks like a warrior but likes shields. Very similar as a Kings Sword of Haste was able to stun lock just about everything and was superior to axes, unless you 1-hit killed them of course.

So Axer was born. Then he died in the Cold Plains. Then he died again in the Cold Plains. Well maybe I'm a bit rusty. About a week later I gave it a serious go with the idea if I perished I could use anthing the previous incarnations found. So Axer was born a third time. He never needed a fourth.

Knowing I wanted a Cold Mercenary, I had but one option: Vengeance and Conviction. I could safely ignore most AR then as well. My first cool axe dropped from Mephisto

Screenshot279.png

It was Ethereal. Oh man. One of these characters that always just misses. NM Andariel dropped me my next good axe and it took until Act 3 for me to be able to upgrade it:

Screenshot286.png
Between running some Mephisto, Andariel and a couple Baal I was able to find some cool stuff:

Duriel's Shell, War Travelers, String of Ears. Few other cool things, but nothing that would see any use on the character.

I was ready for Hell. I decided to run Countess some to get from 74 to 76 or so, then some more until about 78. At which point I switched to the Ancient Tunnels. I found a nice 3 socket Feral Axe, but killing was rough and was not having luck finding any new weapon that dealt damage. Crafted, gambled, or bought. Finally I was able to find a Cruel Ancient Axe which dealt more damage, but was trash still. Where is this Um so I can make a Crescent Moon and obliterate the rest of my path?
It was not to be, as after running LK for around 4 hrs I my highest rune drop was a Lum. Well, there is always Hell Forge? Nope, a Gul. When you want an Um and get a Gul.

Finally some more LK and my final weapon dropped:

Screenshot312.png

Bonus: This is pretty much my final stats I ended with. (For Baal I got my AR up to about 1100 which was good enough to hit fairly often) Unfortunately the weapon only got one socket, 2 would have hit the next attack breakpoint. My switch was a Life Tap charged Axe and a shield with 13 DR. Life Tap was great with this character.

For Ancients I utilized a teleport helm for initial seperation, took down the Throwing Machine, then lost Jarulf, but beat down the other two once seperated again. WSK was a slow crawl to the finish line with Achmel took about 15 minutes to kill. Jarulf helped greatly with finishing up Lister and company half solo by pulling and letting him freeze them one at a time and blast them to bits. Baal just a slog like I expected.

Skills: I utilized a skill that @Swamigoon hasn't recorded being used before this high: Cleansing at level 8. The reason being was it took around 7-8 seconds to remove Amplify Damage and saved me from going to town whenever I got Amp'd. It was highly useful to stop some poison, though I made use of chugging tons of thawing and andidote potions.
To round out my skills the following:

Vengeance: 10
Cleansing: 8
Resist Lightning: 20
Resist Cold: 8
Resist Fire: 4
Salavation: 6
Holy Freeze: 6
Conviction: 20
Vigor 1

Final thoughts on this guy: The Feral Axe was fast enough for me to level an extra time and I really wish I had a more powerful or found it earlier. Two-handed Paladins aren't as bad as they seem, and if done right can be pretty safe, though I had more NDEs than I care to count and am sure I got lucky more than once to not biff. This by far was a blast to play and the Jarulf has done a lot for Diablo with his guide and he sure shined blasting and freezing everything in his path, maybe because he wore this thing:

Screenshot301.png

Last edited:
Congrats on keeping Axer alive! For mostly untwinked, and 2H melee with limited crowd control, it's quite the accomplishment!

Love the character! As others have mentioned, quite the accomplishment, especially with a blue 2-hander.

Congrats on keeping Axer alive! For mostly untwinked, and 2H melee with limited crowd control, it's quite the accomplishment!
He was entirely untwinked. I kept nothing from my first two deaths, both around level 8. I need to stop making toons when I'm tired and rushing through it. Keeping him alive I am still not sure how that happened, but I'm glad I did. I probably would have never redone him.

The Cold Mercenary provides a lot of crowd control, but it required a lot more work than you normally would have with warcries or a melee mercenary. He really shined in some areas, but also made Dolls a total pain because he would run from them.

Bro please use a Nadir helm for the CoS charges. Possibly the best CC spell in the game and so easy to make. Ranged attackers are the worst for melee chars but Nadir makes them bow down, as they should.

Love the D1 reference :) I spent many hours hunting (er more like shopping) the elusive KSOH.

Speaking of shopping, and if you are open to a little twinking, you can shop and/or gamble cruel weapons in 1.07 and larzuk (if in a reasonable mood) can give them up to 4 sockets!

I just wanted to mention this cause I only discovered this secret recently and it has flipped my IAS theorycrafting upside down :p

Imagine a 120% IAS cruel thunder maul....

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High