Forum Suggestion

Excalibur

Guide Author
Jul 3, 2012
www.youtube.com
Hey guys,

Seeing as the activity is quite high in the forums, members usually create their own topics which have to do with their own builds, progress, projects and so on.
I've noticed that right now these topics dominate and are constantly bumped while general discussion topics are rarely seen or are quickly left behind.
A viewer may not even get a chance to check a fresh new topic just because it's already on the bottom of the page or already in page 2 for the reason stated above.

Wouldn't it better if such topics had their own sub-forum category like the Single Player Trading and not be mixed with general discussion topics?
I think it would look better and organized.

For example, I am not very confident bumping my own topic since I can understand that many may not be interested in it but it helps me keep track of my progress.
I would also like to create a few more projects at some time and if I was active in all of them, they would dominate the first page which would be completely annoying to others.

What do you think?

First and most importantly I think you are wrong about active users inciting annoyance, but I can understand the feeling. There is no such correlation as far as I have seen in the SPF, on the contrary quite a few very appreciated (and knowledgeable) forumites have been known as both famous and infamous spammers. So long as the updates add content and are on topic they add to the forum. But if you feel like updating very little at time but very often, how about editing the last posts of your threads and then switching to a new post after a while when you have "accumulated" a bit more of new content?

The threads about a members own projects are, one has to assume at least, posted because they are intended to be interesting to others to read and comment on. If these topics dominate it's nothing wrong with that as long as it is because they are updated fair and square (as opposed to for example spamming a thread with nonsense just to bump it further up the page). They are simply more interesting than the others at the moment, judging by the posting. Personally I have found some of these to be the most entertaining to read. The thread about one users personal projects or progress or ideas is not inherently more or less worth than a general discussion thread or any other. Rules and guides to the forum as such should be stickied but not much else in my opinion.

Some general discussion threads contain a lot of useful information and are worth keeping at hand so to say, but can't that be achieved by linking to them from the general information threads that are stickied? Then new users can find them that way.

I don't really see the problem for a new viewer. If the first page is filled with newly updated threads it obviously indicates that the second page will be worth checking out as well if you want to check out what's new since last time. It is frankly up to a viewer to know that forums work that way in my opinion.

I do of course agree that at some point we would need to divide the threads into some sort of sub-forums to keep some level of order, but in my opinion we are not nearly there.

It's fine. Some make for interesting reads.

You need to be a little thick stone-skinned about it. 😅

Well I think there are various ways to live our own SPF experience...on my side to take myself as example, I like having career/diaries for my characters, whereas others prefer Pat/Mat threads.

Also I do like having My babies thread, it helps me following it all when I want an overview of my builds/characters history, and use it a lot for HR/runewords tracking, based upon trading experience.

Last edited:
I don't see why you wouldn't check page 2 (and 3, sometimes 4...) just as a course of practice anyway, particularly if you have been away for a few and are catching up. I mean, I get the basis of the arguement, but since activity is that high, then those topics that dominate are in fact the topics people want to discuss, while others will shift to the bottom. Of course if someone made a topic, then replied to it themselves every 10m without anyone else interacting, that's obviously annoying, but I haven't seen that happening. Also pretty sure our moderators would step in and say something at that point, unless the posts were generating high numbers of positive reactions without anyone actually posting... which would seem rather out of character for this group

Personally I don't mind lots of threads, for a community about a game as old as D2, any activity is good. Also "flooding" can easily be reduced by not starting a new thread for every question :D I mean you totally can, but there are threads for general discussions such as the anything goes lounge which served as a general D2/forum discussion at least in the days since I joined. Same goes for other existing threads. I check in here a couple of times per day and have a look at the new posts, not just new threads... People will read it and respond.

I think the irony that you now have four threads on the first page is beautiful :D

Joking apart, I don't think the forum is that busy really. Healthy, but not what I would call busy. If we put items in a sub forum, they won't get read. I don't think anyone is bumping threads for no reason, and they will get asked not to if they do.

• Haha
Reactions: Luhkoh and D2DC
For what it's worth, I enjoy reading all of the threads, even though I choose not to participate (yet!) in most of them. @Excalibur, please don't feel self-conscious about your forum contributions; they're appreciated.

I currently keep bumping two personal project threads of my own here. My preference would be for the SPF to continue as it is. If the powers-that-be ever decide that "personal projects" threads need to be moved to a subforum, I'd be a little disappointed, but I would still enjoy and keep reading both the SPF and the subforum. I'm glad you started this conversation, Excalibur.

Reactions: Excalibur
I may not always visibly react or comment on other's post, but I read pretty much all of the topics and I like following other's personal projects. I think things are fine as they are.

Reactions: Babyhell
I hope you didn't get the wrong idea from my post and to make myself clear I didn't mean that those topics shouldn't exist or should be moved to an isolated area.
I also didn't mean that having many of those topics is a bad thing, on the contrary, just like most of you said, they are very interesting and sometimes they contain some fabulous information.

All I suggested was just to separate them which in my eyes would be more convenient to have everything in the right place.
But if the majority thinks it's better to stay the way it is, then it should stay the way it is.
I think the irony that you now have four threads on the first page is beautiful :D

Yes, but the 4 latest topics that I made are general discussion threads which once they serve their purpose they will be left behind like they should be.
However, if those were some kind of self-projects I would feel quite uncomfortable if they were constantly at the top.

As a person, I have a tendency to organize everything. You can get an idea from the old site when I started trading.
I wanted to have everything listed so I could easily keep track of my trades. Of course, I do the same now, keeping also a separate list with the self-found High Runes.

Thank you for your feedback everyone!

Reactions: Swamigoon and D2DC
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High