Famous max/ED jewel bug question

jlofman

Jul 21, 2009
Famous max/ED jewel bug question

so if I understood it correct, there is a bug that when putting a jewel with max (or min) dmg and ed, in a non-weapon item, there's a big risk of the bug appearing and you only get the dmg. correct?

I have a 40ED/fire dmg jwl, that I want in my helmet. does the bug only affect physical dmg or is there a risk I get a crappy fire dmg add from my jewel?

thank you for your help :thumbup:

Re: Famous max/ED jewel bug question

It doesn't apply to elemental damage.

There's no "risk" of the bug. There "is" a bug. If you have both +min and +ed% on a jewel, and you put it in a non-weapon, then the +ed% doesn't apply to your min damage, only to your max damage. (similar for a +max +ed% jewel).

It doesn't apply to elemental damage.

There's no "risk" of the bug. There "is" a bug. If you have both +min and +ed% on a jewel, and you put it in a non-weapon, then the +ed% doesn't apply to your min damage, only to your max damage. (similar for a +max +ed% jewel).

Let's say your minimum damage is already higher then your max, wouldent this be a good thing to build around? Meaning I shouldent use Min/Max damage jewels in the sockets.

How does it act with on armor ed? For lets say a Paladin Shield with a +ED staffmod, same thing applies?

I'm currently building a min damage paladin and considering different jewel options. In theory a 30ed/max in a shield would add more then an equivalent jewel for the same spot.

And you sure that Min/Ed adds only max and not the other way around?
Got a nagging feeling it is.

^ I'm sure it's not something you'd wanna build around, even if your purpose is to get min > max, since without the bug your damage would be still be higher.

Same thing applies to any non-weapon item, including Paladin exclusive shields.

ED/Min --> You'll get %ED on Max only.

I don't think you understood the way the bug works EquiLa, or perhaps it's me who's not understanding you, let me try to clarify.

When socketing an ED jewel in an item other than a weapon (helm, armor or shield) it's treated as off-weapon ED, and modifies both your max and min damage.

However with an ED/max jewel what happens is that the ED from the jewel is applied as off-weapon ED just for the min damage, and doesn't increase your max damage as a plain ED jewel would. It's applied instead to the +max damage from the jewel, so a 40% ED/+10 max damage jewel would work as a 40% ED jewel just for the min damage, and add +14 max damage. Thus the resulting increase in damage is in nearly all cases much lower than it would be with a plain 40% ED jewel (which works for the max and the min damage).

The bug works the same way with ED/min jewels, but in that case the ED works only with your max damage. Hope that helps!

^ Ah, makes sense. But then it still applies in the way I was thinking of using it.

Lets say you use a 40ed/1 Max Jewel, ED only applies to min damage and this is the only thing I really needed in the first place since Min>Max. The total amount of damage is still the same since you add ED to both Min and Max damage due to the nature of having higher min then max.

Obviously you loose the +max but gain the ED which was the only thing you wanted from the jewel in the first place. This gives a bit more room for "odd" jewels that can usually only be used in weapons to avoid this bug.

Hope it makes any sense. If I'm wrong again, feel free to correct me :)

So the point is that you want low max damage, right? You want this despite the fact that the average damage will be lower, and mostly to make a unique character, right?

Your ending max damage is automatically at least 1 point greater than your ending min damage. So, you can't really get your min to be higher than your max. Iirc, there's something (maybe a bug) that raises your max by two points for every one point that your min is calculated to be in excess of the max. So, if you have 15 min and 13 max, your min is 2 points higher, so your max is raised by 4 to 17. Then your damage range is 15 to 17. I'm not certain on this, so maybe someone can verify.

Are you making an avenger based on asmodeous'? He used griswold's set full of +min jewels to achieve very high average damage on an avenger.

There are some posts about that here: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736185

Oh, and just an extra tidbit:

Let's say you have two jewels. One is a +40% ED jewel, the other is a +10 minimum damage, and you're plugging them into a 2os armor.

If you socket the +10 minimum damage, and then the +40% ED, the bug doesn't occur. If you socket the 40% ED jewel first, and then the +10 minimum damage jewel, the bug does occur.

So the point is that you want low max damage, right? You want this despite the fact that the average damage will be lower, and mostly to make a unique character, right?

[Cut]

Are you making an avenger based on asmodeous'? He used griswold's set full of +min jewels to achieve very high average damage on an avenger.

There are some posts about that here: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736185

Oh, it had already been done, nothing is really new anymore. This was indeed my plan but with rare/magic only gear just as a project of mine. Guess I could get some help from that guide :scratchchin:

Oh, and just an extra tidbit:

Let's say you have two jewels. One is a +40% ED jewel, the other is a +10 minimum damage, and you're plugging them into a 2os armor.

If you socket the +10 minimum damage, and then the +40% ED, the bug doesn't occur. If you socket the 40% ED jewel first, and then the +10 minimum damage jewel, the bug does occur.

I'll keep this in mind, good to know.

But does anyone know if it occurs with this scenario aswell:

How does it act with on armor ed? For lets say a Paladin Shield with a +ED staffmod, same thing applies?

The shield and circlet would be two of those places I would like to "bug" for higher min damage.

Thanks for the help btw :thumbup:

I believe the bug would take place with paladin shields with ED if you put plain +max jewels in it, should work the same way as if the ED came from a jewel you had previously socketed in the item

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High