Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes continued

OMG I need this now, I know I mostly play games from the 90's and early 00's but jfc it has 24 gb vram and ray tracing! I NEED to be able to play diablo 2 at 5000 fps!!11! At least once its released the 2080 ti will be in my price range.

OMG I need this now, I know I mostly play games from the 90's and early 00's but jfc it has 24 gb vram and ray tracing! I NEED to be able to play diablo 2 at 5000 fps!!11! At least once its released the 2080 ti will be in my price range.

I just got a laptop with a 2080 less than a year ago...I hate how fast technology develops. I was only able to afford it because dell had a sweet deal on alienware computers going on. Just gotta keep checking the subreddit r/laptopdeals, or r/pcdeals if you are going for a desktop.

Look I'm not particularly skilled with building a laptop, I don't do half bad with a desktop, but once we get into laptop territory its a different game. I got a good deal on it and my luck with manufactured laptops/computers across the board have been hit or miss so eh.

I cringe at Dell (owned an XPS myself) because of their customer service and cheap motherboards. Actually, I'm in the same boat as you, and while I could likely build my own PC if I had the time, I don't think I'd do that great a job with airflow and cable management. I managed a good deal on a HP laptop back in June but as to serious gaming, I'm not about to jump back in yet, Waiting until the end of the year and might get a gaming PC from Digital Storm.

A few familiar faces return. Sorry I haven't been around much lately, been a crazy time. I quit my fulltime permanent role of 7 years to take on a contract role. Much much better pay and opportunity, but obviously a bit of risk. It's funny that my first week has been working from home as the new company has a Covid roster.

Oh btw has anyone played among us? It's basically a real time mafia game and it is really good. It's about 2 years old, but has suddenly spiked in popularity.

... while I could likely build my own PC if I had the time, I don't think I'd do that great a job with airflow and cable management.
Unless you're building in a mini-itx form factor or smaller, cable management makes zero actual difference. As for airflow, unless you buy the cheapest case on the market, fill it with every part possible and plug all the intakes, you won't have a problem. If you want to assemble your own computer, neither of those are reasons not to cause you won't mess those up in a meaningful way.

Truth be told, the 3070 will probably still be in the same price range as the 2080ti, and better to boot, given what we've seen so far. These cards look to be insane. I wasn't expecting to upgrade from my 2080 for a generation, but 4k at 120+hz in anything does sound sexy...

...I hate how fast technology develops.
It's so much worse on laptops right now than desktops, I only upgraded my 4 year old computer this year because lightning managed to blow the motherboard, my gains are marginal. But a laptop from last year is already looking long in the tooth compared to these new AMD powered beasts.

Yeah, I mean I love the new technology, but figured if I went "high end" I'd at least be good for a while. Shame on me for thinking that.

A few familiar faces return. Sorry I haven't been around much lately, been a crazy time. I quit my fulltime permanent role of 7 years to take on a contract role. Much much better pay and opportunity, but obviously a bit of risk. It's funny that my first week has been working from home as the new company has a Covid roster.

Oh btw has anyone played among us? It's basically a real time mafia game and it is really good. It's about 2 years old, but has suddenly spiked in popularity.

J of the Cakes! You should play actual mafia with us. We have a signup thread and everything.

Unless you're building in a mini-itx form factor or smaller, cable management makes zero actual difference. As for airflow, unless you buy the cheapest case on the market, fill it with every part possible and plug all the intakes, you won't have a problem. If you want to assemble your own computer, neither of those are reasons not to cause you won't mess those up in a meaningful way.

Truth be told, the 3070 will probably still be in the same price range as the 2080ti, and better to boot, given what we've seen so far. These cards look to be insane. I wasn't expecting to upgrade from my 2080 for a generation, but 4k at 120+hz in anything does sound sexy...

It's so much worse on laptops right now than desktops, I only upgraded my 4 year old computer this year because lightning managed to blow the motherboard, my gains are marginal. But a laptop from last year is already looking long in the tooth compared to these new AMD powered beasts.

Yeah, totally.

I wasn't planning on buying a new comp between June of this year and any time earlier then end of November, even thought I could have. So I'm waiting to see how things turn out with the new cards being released, both cost wise and competition wise. AMD is still tight lipped and hasn't done anything as far as I'm aware.

Yeah, I mean I love the new technology, but figured if I went "high end" I'd at least be good for a while. Shame on me for thinking that.

I know I can't go absolute high end top spec, but depending on things go towards the end of the year something in the mid to high end range might be a possibility.

J of the Cakes! You should play actual mafia with us. We have a signup thread and everything.

Totally. We need more people to kill @Noodle. That man just won't stay dead. @Bad Ash is semi back too.

@Pyrotechnician

What laptop did you get / how are the temps? I am in the market right now to upgrade my gaming laptop, but everything seems to run so dang hot these days.

@Pyrotechnician

What laptop did you get / how are the temps? I am in the market right now to upgrade my gaming laptop, but everything seems to run so dang hot these days.

So apparently I lied. I don't have a 2080, only a 2070. What a loser... I got an Alienware M15 back in February, below are the details:

90 WHr, 6-Cell Battery (integrated)
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0
240W Power Adaptor
15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 240Hz Anti-Glare IPS, Narrow-Border Display
1TB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD
32GB 2x16GB DDR4-2666MHz
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 8GB GDDR6 with Max-Q Design
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H (6-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.5Ghz w/Turbo Boost)

It runs hot...an extremely common problem with laptops. The only way to really fix this problem is to undervolt it. I've looked up a few sites and tutorials on how to do it and it seems fairly simple but that seems like the only way to fix the heat issue.

That's still a really nice laptop. For gaming, in my opinion, so much comes down to the screen and 240Hz on an IPS display is great.

If you're in the market for a gaming laptop right now, though, you pretty much want to start your search with the Zephyrus G14 and see what it doesn't cover for you, because the performance of the AMD chips is just so much better than Intel right now in battery life and performance. The G14 with a 2060 and a 120Hz display is just such a tough thing to beat for it's price, performance and battery life. There are roughly a million reviews out for the Zephyrus, but here's one from LinusTechTips about both the laptop and the AMD processor, more specifically.

Personally, I've stayed away from gaming laptops because of the compromises involved, but they're certainly getting very interesting nowadays. Pyro's M15 is still a great machine to pick up now, the Zephyrus is crazy enticing, there's quite a few good options. I still feel great about the XPS 13 I picked up at launch this year for school stuff because it's so small and the touch screen is a big deal for me, but it's getting so much better to have your laptop be a do everything these days, which is a fantastic thing.

Thanks for the response. Everything I have read about laptops starting with the intel 8 series has been nothing but heat. I have an i7 with a 45W tdp and havent had to worry about any overheating at all. Of course I got this laptop when Diablo 3 came out, so it has been a few years.

I have been looking at the Eluktronics RP-17. I wanted the 17" screen and wouldn't mind going AMD, but there is no way to undervolt their laptop processors. In the end, I will probably cheap out and get something in the $700-900 range with a 1660 or 1660 TI.

That's still a really nice laptop. For gaming, in my opinion, so much comes down to the screen and 240Hz on an IPS display is great.

If you're in the market for a gaming laptop right now, though, you pretty much want to start your search with the Zephyrus G14 and see what it doesn't cover for you, because the performance of the AMD chips is just so much better than Intel right now in battery life and performance. The G14 with a 2060 and a 120Hz display is just such a tough thing to beat for it's price, performance and battery life. There are roughly a million reviews out for the Zephyrus, but here's one from LinusTechTips about both the laptop and the AMD processor, more specifically.

Personally, I've stayed away from gaming laptops because of the compromises involved, but they're certainly getting very interesting nowadays. Pyro's M15 is still a great machine to pick up now, the Zephyrus is crazy enticing, there's quite a few good options. I still feel great about the XPS 13 I picked up at launch this year for school stuff because it's so small and the touch screen is a big deal for me, but it's getting so much better to have your laptop be a do everything these days, which is a fantastic thing.

The screen was an upgrade option at the time of course, it didn't come standard but it didn't make sense to me to have the power that can handle a nice display with the stock 60Hz screen they had on it, it just forces you to play with an external HD monitor which kind of defeats the point. I really like AMD processors, but all the options at the time I was looking, I couldn't find a decent one with an AMD processor and a higher end graphics card that wasn't going to cost me a fortune. Its a great machine but I wouldn't have gotten it if I didn't pick it up when I did, they were running their standard whatever off for the base but someone shared a code on the laptop deals reddit that stacked another $700 off on top of it, which actually made it half reasonable.

That being said the Zephyrus builds looks pretty solid, and the price is much more reasonable in comparison, especially without a steep discount code like the one I used.

Thanks for the response. Everything I have read about laptops starting with the intel 8 series has been nothing but heat. I have an i7 with a 45W tdp and havent had to worry about any overheating at all. Of course I got this laptop when Diablo 3 came out, so it has been a few years.

I have been looking at the Eluktronics RP-17. I wanted the 17" screen and wouldn't mind going AMD, but there is no way to undervolt their laptop processors. In the end, I will probably cheap out and get something in the $700-900 range with a 1660 or 1660 TI.

Its definitely heat, but it looks like I can at least solve the issue after reading a bunch of different sites confirming that it reduces the temps significantly.

Depending on when these new 3000 series graphics cards drop though I would consider holding out if I were not in dire need of an upgrade right now. Even if you don't go for the 3000 series graphic cards it should make the 2000 series drop in price (at least a little bit).

Then you have my son, who disconnected the fan in his machine because it was too noisy. Said pc very quickly went on to be completely silent, so creative problem solving I guess.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High