Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes continued

Are you sure? When was the last time you glanced over your shoulder? *cackle*
You want me to answer that, truthfully? (There is a more logical explanation...)

I hear noises behind me every single day, and glance over my shoulder at these noises I can't determine almost daily... (I say almost, because weather changed my routes and requirements, and I didn't go out into public, so didn't hear said noises.)

Almost Higurashi no Koro Ni vibes, but not quite.

Meow... (meowing at cat in another room.)
So, sadly, I get this impression that purediablo never truly replaced Dii.net. I feel that is quite sad. Such a great community, and while I do see many tried to continue... Times change?
I never tried D2R. It couldn't replace D2. To me, it was the same, but an attempt at updating to current meta. (I hate the definition/term 'meta'.) But any modern variant of Diablo 2 could not replace Diablo 2. The same at any current StarCrafft could not replace Brood Wars. Same as modern Baldur's Gate, this cannot replace the original.

PureDiablo cannot replace the true community of Single Player Diablo 2.
And, I checked back here, to see if there was anyone from the classic, familiar community, who may be willing to try, or help, or be amicable, to run some Diablo 3, AUS, runs to farm some Holiday Gifts. A selfishh desire, but one that may also benefit another. It is kind of sad, to me, to see the Etdlahq memorial bar is..., will be, dead. Rip Etdlahq, rip Diablo 2, rip community.

• Sad
Reactions: Swamigoon
For the most part, I enjoy PureDiablo for what it is. Sorry that it doesn't now measure up to your expectations and DII memories, @Drystan.

(Please pardon my ignorance; there are likely some Etdlahq customs, niceties, or manners that I never learned.)

*serves brine that was drained out of a can of black olives

I blame Durf for the customs being lost. Also, WaterMoon always had cookies to welcome people, and the golem used to use the claw machine 24/7. I hope the Diablo plushies were transferred over here, but maybe they were lost in transit. :(

We used to be able to get 20, 30, more during special events, posts in the bar per day. Just chat, hello, spam. Even if you weren't playing D2, or really active, the number of people just posting and chatting kept the EMB going so long.

*searches for Dibble plushies behind bar*

*sips some red wine*

Well, at least in my case there are a lot more real life obligations nowadays that keep me from spamming the EBM than there were 10 years ago...

I also miss WaterMoon and her cookies though...

*raises glass to old times and cookies*

It's not PureDiablo or D2R that's the problem, Times change. When I discovered D2 in 2001 my link to the internet, when I was able to use the internet, was a dial up modem, now you even need the internet to play off-line.

I was also older ( a full time job with travel and 3 teens) and didn't suffer fools gladly. This formed me into a single player and a fairly active member of the SPF, but I never really participated in the Bar or the other OT threads because of a lack of time. Now that I have time I still seldom look at the Bar thread from force of habit.

If you look outside the SPF the D2R community seems to be doing well, there just aren't that many really new people joining the SPF. So, if we are going to stave off the death of SPF how do we grow it?

*fires up the coffee machine
*serves coffee for @Gorny
*drinks coffee

I think that the main issue is that forums are an old format. Most new players are going to get info from YouTube videos, Reddit, Discord.

Gaming habits have changed too. Players mainly seem to be interested in max power builds (very evident from the direction D2R is going) and not niche builds like we enjoy here.

But we are still busy compared to other D2 forums - Amazon Basin, Planetdiablo.eu are barely seeing posts.

*waves

Haven’t been here lately as busy in other stuff.

*serves Dew

*serves wine

*serves sangria

*vanish

*fires up the coffee machine
*serves coffee for @Gorny
*drinks coffee

I think that the main issue is that forums are an old format. Most new players are going to get info from YouTube videos, Reddit, Discord.

Gaming habits have changed too. Players mainly seem to be interested in max power builds (very evident from the direction D2R is going) and not niche builds like we enjoy here.

But we are still busy compared to other D2 forums - Amazon Basin, Planetdiablo.eu are barely seeing posts.
Thanks for the coffee!

Don't forget Reddit too. Many newer player aren't that much aware of this site. Maybe that will change as we move closer to D4 releasing.

Im wondering if I should come back to playing D2 in any form now as I now have a PC to play on again. The issue is, balancing time after work and other things going on along with other games I want to play.

I intend to poke around a bit and play WoW with @Noodle , then there's the next generation version of The Witcher 3, and a few others I'm interested in playing.

I'm also up for a good game of mafia, either play or as host.

I blame Durf for the customs being lost. Also, WaterMoon always had cookies to welcome people, and the golem used to use the claw machine 24/7. I hope the Diablo plushies were transferred over here, but maybe they were lost in transit. :(

We used to be able to get 20, 30, more during special events, posts in the bar per day. Just chat, hello, spam. Even if you weren't playing D2, or really active, the number of people just posting and chatting kept the EMB going so long.

*searches for Dibble plushies behind bar*

Those were the good old days.

@maxicek and @Gorny are right, forums are kind of dying these days. I am much more active on discord then I am on forums these days. I think part of the problem is people post so rarely that I forget to come and check them out. Meaning I am not active and therefore others are not.

BTW if you are looking for Aussies to play D3 with from time to time, I normally play seasons so feel free to add me on BNET Jcakes#6373. I am also in the PureDiablo discord so you can ping me there.

Anyone up for a round of Mafia? Can host here in SPF or Forum Games.

Normal Game, minimum 9 players.

I'll make Noodle easily killable.

Well, at least in my case there are a lot more real life obligations nowadays that keep me from spamming the EBM than there were 10 years ago...

IIRC you were in Med School the last time I was a regular at the dii.net forums. Are you now Dr. Grisu, MD?

Durf is responsible, as with all things. Diablo plushies are being stored out back in the cabana, I think, under the old sign for Thy's choccy milk. We had to make counter space for the glass case housing a single, ice-cold root beer float. Just in case.

Just found my first ever SoJ. It felt great, then it felt a bit melancholy. I guess I realized that I didn't get the rush I would have gotten ten years ago. Still, in twenty years of Diablo I've never had one in my grubby hands, so my night is made.

IIRC you were in Med School the last time I was a regular at the dii.net forums. Are you now Dr. Grisu, MD?
Wow, funny how time goes by! That was and is indeed so - I graduated 2009 and since then have married, gotten two awesome daughters (the older one started playing D2R with me some weeks ago), changed jobs twice and been playing D2 off and on over the last 14 years :)

I noticed you were much more active again here the last few months, which is great :) Hope you are doing well and real life has been kind to you?!

@Pancakes : Congrats on the SoJ! (y)

P.S.: I'll have a beer!

P.P.S.: Wait, did they somehow manage to change our join dates to the original dii join date? 😳

P.P.S.: Wait, did they somehow manage to change our join dates to the original dii join date? 😳

Since the old dii.net went down, @Rush has merged his backup data into the PureDiablo forums. Anyone who registered here with the same name will have their account details merged, including post count and join date.

So @Pancakes spam post count won't have been merged as he was @pancakeman before. But I am sure it won't take him long to catch up :D

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High