Do runes in D2R SP have hidden GUID/Fingerprints? Remembering 1.10 beta and the Rust Storms.

Sapros

Sep 25, 2007
Blizzard had a way to track every rune that dropped in multiplayer. Allegedly, it's so thorough cubing a Jah from 1 legit Ber and 1 duped Ber would eventually result in the Jah poofing.

Apparently in 1.10 beta every item in the game, even runes which were/are simple items, were given a 96 bit GUID. It wasn't there in the final version of the patch for SP, but it's speculated it was used to track everything online.

Is there such a GUID or hidden feature for D2R single player runes? Is a cubed rune identical even behind the scenes/under the hood with a rune that was dropped?

Thanks.

Yes, they are identical - indistinguishable in the save file.

As to your first point, it's true that 1.10+ kept track of unique IDs for runes. However the cubing process creates a new item with no relationship to the old runes. A rune cubed from duped runes is indistinguishable from a dropped rune in Lod 1.10+.

Yes, they are identical - indistinguishable in the save file.

As to your first point, it's true that 1.10+ kept track of unique IDs for runes. However the cubing process creates a new item with no relationship to the old runes. A rune cubed from duped runes is indistinguishable from a dropped rune in Lod 1.10+.
Thanks.

Single player only though right? Because I've read anecdotes about so called tainted runes (cubed from 1 self found and 1 duped rune) disappearing. So on BNet that GUID is still in place. Or some ID history.

Interesting topic to pick for a first post :unsure:
I guess. It's just something I've been wondering about for a very long time, and google isn't helping much. I've switched to SP since D2R was released. My OCD wants to know if in SP cubed runes are 100% akin to self found runes. Because on BNet apparently isn't the case.

Thanks.

Single player only though right? Because I've read anecdotes about so called tainted runes (cubed from 1 self found and 1 duped rune) disappearing. So on BNet that GUID is still in place. Or some ID history.
In non-D2R this is not correct. If you cube duped runes the resulting rune will not be caught by dupe detection. Those anecdotes are misinformed.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High