D2R Questions

Jan 1, 2011
I've been having problems with my 1.14 D2 which is on an 18 year old portable drive, which is apparently on its last legs. So, last Friday I finally pulled the trigger and loaded D2R, which I had paid for pre launch!

While my hard drive is big enough it came partitioned into 2 drives. and the C drive didn't have enough room left. I also had a new SSD drive that I decided to load D2R onto. Here's the first question. When I exit D2R my computer does a restart. Is this normal? If not any idea how I can change it?

All went fine till sometime Sunday when Blizzard asked me to go on line and check for messages. Not sure what I did, but when I went back to an off line game my character was gone. I checked the save game folder and it still showed as being there., I created a new character and when I tried to play him I kept getting a Failed to join message. I tried a number of things and finally moved the character files out of the saved game folder and deleted the shared stash, key and settings files left in the D2R saved game folder. I moved the files back into the save game folder and they were still not listed when I tried to play D2R. It did allow me to create a new character and actually play him.

At this point I was getting frustrated with the restarts that I thought maybe the problem was with the SSD card, which kept being assigned a differnt drive name, So I disconnected it and loaded D2R onto the other partition of my Hard drive (Drive D). The game plays fine, but the same issue with restarts and It still can't find my original character. I tried to start a new character with the same name and was told that that name had already been used. At this point the only thing I have left of the original character is the D2S file. He was only level 20 and had not really found anyting yet, so no big loss. However, I'd still like to recover him any ideas?

You’re probably checking this, but are you making sure you click offline or online when you look for your characters? Also, is it possible it is running the client in one drive and the saved games is in the other? That might be an issue, but I’m not 100% on that.

Not sure about the restart thing. If you haven’t done do already, an uninstall and then a fresh install might help also.

Reactions: Pax1990
Fair question, but yes, I've got both online and offline characters and know to select the one I want. both 1.14 and D2R put the D2s and other character files in a saved game folder under the users area, which for me is the C drive. the game files reside on the D drive.

You could try cheking Windows logs for errors with Event Viewer. It is not the simplest to get into, but could give a hint to what is going on.

I would check all green logs. You can sort events if needed and or filter the log (yellow): ie errors in last hour or whatever.

1658301673594.png

If you find some error that is repeating after every game exit, you can then try to googling the problem further for a solution.

@SirName Thanks for the tip its been years since I dug into any of this type of data. One lead led to another and I've finally realized that the graphics card in my 6 year old computer doesn't support D2R.

• Sad
Reactions: coju
@SirName Thanks for the tip its been years since I dug into any of this type of data. One lead led to another and I've finally realized that the graphics card in my 6 year old computer doesn't support D2R.
Glad you found out what it was!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High