Life steal: 21%
Damage Reduction: 21%
Crushing Blow: 35%

Screen1.png
Gear
Amulet: The Cat's Eye
Helmet: Guillaume's Face (Shael)
Weapon 1: "Oath" Eth Small Crescent
Shield: "Rhyme" Kurast Shield (+65 res all)
Body Armor: "Chains of Honor" Dusk Shroud
Gloves: Laying of Hands
Belt: String of Ears
Boots: War Traveler
Ring 1: Bone Gyre Rare (Dual Leech, AR, Resists, GF)
Ring 2: Wisp Projector
Switch: Demon Limb / Rhyme

Stats:
Strength: 136/181
Dexterity: 149/176
Vitality: 245/255
Energy: 25/25

Skills, hard points only:

Combat Skills:
Zeal: 20
Sacrifice: 20
Holy Shield: 16
Pre-reqs: 1

Offensive Auras:
Fanaticism: 20
All Offensive Auras but Holy Shock: 1 each

Defensive Auras:
Resist Lightning: 8
Vigor and Pre-reqs: 1 each

Mercenary:
Vikhyat, A2 Might Merc
Helm: Vampire Gaze
Weapon: Eth Bonehew (AmnAmn)
Body Armor: "Treachery" Eth Wire Fleece

Gameplay:
I started this guy out in 1.14 and then transitioned to D2R. I had come back to D2 after 8 years away and had no idea D2R even existed--I just wanted to show my kids this cool game I used to play! I think we upgraded to D2R around when this guy was in A2. Death's Sash dropped early in A1 Normal, so it was really nice to have a source of CBF from the first, and with D2R's ability to upgrade sets, it became a much more valuable item.

I followed Kitteh's "Build Your Own Zealot" Guide to a T, following the directions for an HC character because I wanted to see if I could make it through without any deaths. This turned out to be a naive goal for the first character back after a layoff.

The one thing I will say is that max block may not be the best goal in early to mid-game. I'm not sure. I think it resulted in me pumping Dexterity a ton early on to reach max block with not-so-great shields when later I could pump points into Holy Shield and easily hit Max block with something like Rhyme. If I do HC, I'll certainly try leaving off max block until later and giving myself some more life earlier on.

I started him as a Holy Freeze Zealot, thinking I could easily get runes for Crescent Moon and respec to Holy Shock later. I realized, however, what a huge difference life leech makes in survivability, and respec-ed to Fanatic Zealot and immediately had an easier time in Nightmare.

From here on out, I got input from the forum in this progress thread.
"Black" runeword, Bloodletter, Butcher's Pupil, and then Demon Limb got me through NM. I ran Countess until I could put together "Smoke" armor, ran NM Baal with a ton of magic find and was able to assemble a surprising (to me) amount of set/unique items.

From thereon I moved to Lower Kurast and ran that a lot: Ber, Sur, Gul, and some Ists, Mals, and Ums. I put together "Oath" in an Ethereal Small Crescent, which ended up being a very sufficient endgame weapon.

I was hoping for a Lo or an Ohm to make "Call to Arms" or "Grief," which are eventual goals for this guy.

After tiring of LK, I decided to go ahead and make Patriarch. Baal's waves were easy at /p1 and I symbolically switched to /p8 for Baal himself and finished without any trips back to town.

The Paladin was my first ever Diablo 2 character, so it was rewarding to come back and assemble a Zealot who was quite formidable and tanky in his final form.

I really enjoyed restarting untwinked, though I look forward to sharing resources (especially Larzuk sockets) going forward.

I hope to eventually make this guy a pure Smiter or Zealot / 1 pt Smiter who can to Uber runs. My initial plan was to do it completely untwinked, but I think I've tired of pure Paladin play for the time being. Ubers being a new area of the game that D2R opens up for single player, and one I've never done before means I won't consider this guy "finished" until I accomplish that.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High