D2r Patch 2.4

So the updated 2.4 didn’t have any SP files in it. Do I need to bring them over from the other folder?
Okay I am not sure what happened. If I loaded him up in the test I would have been fine. I haven't touched him since the start of the Tournament of Tournaments, went into gomule, loaded my last backup and copied him into the PTR character folder and he was fine.

I then deleted him from the live folder as it was the same character( and at same progress point).

Then I went to testing: (All were deleted upon seeing helm disappear)

• I then copied ptr character to the live folder, and it disappeared.
  • Copied character over>Saved helm in gomule>delete character>copied ptr character to live>helm disappeared>loadup gomule>equip helm onto character from stash>load up character and helm disappeared.
I'll be honest I'm a bit befuddled how that works as since the item was already created and has a unique identifier it should be active (Based on previous D2 and how once an item is created if it is valid it spawns). I could see it becoming just a plain jane item, but to just disappear I am not sure how that happens. I would get it if other items were deleted, but that was not the case only the Rune Word helm.

I wonder if this is going to be something we at the SPF will have to be wary of when using the test client. Looks like this character is stuck in the PTR limbo, which should be okay as long as it doesn't require me to login/update that client specifically.

My theory would be once Season 1 is over, I should be able to copy him back to live folder and the helm (or any created Rune Word on PTR) would stay.

Last edited:
I am reposting here because I want to discuss something a bit more that really received no attention from content creators or anyone really which is one of the hugest changes in patch 2.4.

Left click, right click, and quick casting melee abilities (and other abilities) are receiving a significant improvement in patch 2.4.

Before, when you right clicked a target and held your mouse, you attacked it till it died and then you wouldn't acquire new targets unless you released and re-pressed your right click. You could right click the ground, and then you started attacking targets or moving, and you would acquire new targets even if your current target dies, and you could just hold it down. But the thing is that you'd have to make a conscious decision to click the ground and not an enemy specifically to know that holding the button down would continue acquiring new targets.

In 2.4, if you right click, behavior will always be the same - you will always attack and move, acquiring new targets as you mouse over them. Doesnt matter if you right click on enemies or the ground, the behavior will always be the same. If your mouse is over the ground, you will move towards it, if your mouse is over an enemy, you will move towards it and attack it. So now in 2.4 you will never have to think about where you're clicking with abilities. The behavior is always the same. Which means you can always hold down right click forever and move through the entire game attacking and moving and acquiring new targets, no matter where you click initially.

Additionally, quick casting abilities always functions like this now, no matter if the ability is in your right or left click slot. You will always attack or move or attack and move depending only on what your mouse is over, so long as the hotkey is held. This effectively solves paladin spam clicking (along with all other melee classes, but paladins are the ones that struggle more since their melee ability MUST be on left click)

Left click behavior is changed but slightly less so.. If a target dies while you're holding left click over them, then you will stop attacking - UNLESS you move your mouse over a new target within a short timeframe (like half a second maybe?). So holding left click is more viable, however you won't always have the same degree of certainty as you do with right click or quick casting. So paladins can solve this issue by simply using quick cast as it will be much easier to know what you will do when you press an ability, as opposed to having to worry about a certain timeframe to mouse over a new enemy.

Right click: in legacy when you right clicked ground then went to a pack of monsters, you could effectively kill them all without unclicking, then keep moving forward.

If, when entering a pack and you start attacking, you mouse over a pack further down the line, I thought you would keep attacking in the direction of your mouse no matter if pointing on ground or monster.

That case feels different now where your PC will stop attacking currently attacking monster and move towards the new target you moused over.

Is this what you say has changed?

Because d2r felt different for some reason in regards to that. I haven’t played in a month or so either, so my results may vary.

Right click: in legacy when you right clicked ground then went to a pack of monsters, you could effectively kill them all without unclicking, then keep moving forward.

If, when entering a pack and you start attacking, you mouse over a pack further down the line, I thought you would keep attacking in the direction of your mouse no matter if pointing on ground or monster.

That case feels different now where your PC will stop attacking currently attacking monster and move towards the new target you moused over.

Is this what you say has changed?

Because d2r felt different for some reason in regards to that. I haven’t played in a month or so either, so my results may vary.

no no, the behavior is unchanged in live version from what you described. The issue that has been fixed is that you no longer need to worry about clicking the ground before attacking things and continuing to attack. You can now right click anywhere (including on monsters, which wasn't the case before) and you will continue attacking forever.

• Love
Reactions: Coyote_Sly and coju
So
I watched Dbrunski because it was one of the first things that popped up when I searched for FOH, I really don't care for any content creator though, and I am familiar with the FOH build already (it was one of @pharphis favorite to run). Was just trying to be creative to work around the non-undead issue. You are probably right though it will probably just be a half decent version of each rather than something overly efficient of course.
enaing of @pharphis, is he going to do another foh 99 with the buff?

Reactions: Pyrotechnician
The discussion above about the right click and quick cast changes has indeed been very relevant for me since I discovered them as a PC player - it changed the way I play the game now significantly, most characters I and now play with a system consisting of movement bound to the Caps key and teleport to V (with an alt attack bound on CTRL), with quick cast enabled on every character I play. This allows me to spare myself thousands of clicks as I tele and run around, and without adjusting more than a single finger I'm ready to spam hammers/novas/blizzards/traps et al. with a single press.

Even the Whirlwind Barb has been completely transformed by this for me, and is now a matter of holding down the D key and gliding my mouse around for a few seconds to blend up the council.

My biggest hold out is for modern resolution options on legacy mode, which now after they've added the new glide filter features seems like a reasonable hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: coju
@Kitteh

@Gilded Sun movement bound to caps lock? So when caps lock is on you move then you turn it off to stop movement?
The movement that's usually bound to the left click on mouse is on my Caps key, so I move my mouse and hold Caps with my pinky to get around (it's not a toggle, so I do hold it down to continuously move - though if that was possible I'd try it), it seems maybe a little odd but with quick cast it allows me to play most characters more comfortably without nearly ever having to click (only for things like popables, exits/entrances).

I bind my skills on Q W E, A S D, and Z X and V + Ctrl (skipping C, leaving it as the character sheet) with teleport usually bound to V.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High