[D2L Quest] Game, Set and Match

Arjan

Aug 10, 2021
Ever since returning to LoD there was something I wanted to give a try: designing a build for every set there is in the game and see how far I can take it in the game.

Obviously this took some preparations. I still don’t have all the sets complete, and for some this is going to take a lot of time anyway. But I can start with what I got and try some fun builds.

The rules:
- all characters are softcore
- they are obviously twinked
- we do single passes
- we start the game on p8 lower is allowed
- as soon as the character has the stats to wear a piece of gear he has too put it on.
- it is allowed to use multiple pieces of the same item (angelic rings anyone)
- respacking is allowed
- only buffing items are allowed on switch
- a dead isn’t the end
- 5 deaths on the same monster (or area) means the end of the line for that build
- five points for each cleared act
- an act is cleared when the act boss is defeated. Skipping quests is allowed
- one point per quest done
- average ilvl determines Base order.
- total numbers of points multiplied by (X in *p/X*) devided by average ilvl determines final order (probably… need to try this first)

So far I have the following builds:

nameBuildsetlevelpointsav ilvldeads
CahirFrenzy BarbAngelic Rainment49241120
OgierBowadinArctic gear100

Last edited:
Sounds like fun. I've done full Sigon's, Immortal King, Trang Gouls, Mavinas, Tal Rashas . . . I think that's it.

Reactions: Swamigoon
I look forward to following your progress on this project. @D2DC did a double sept +1 on the Normal Sets, and I used all the non-Normal Sets in my 7x7+2, and went back to do a Cow King Barb later.

I think this would be pretty fun in D2R, with the ability to up Normal Sets making those more potent for late game. If I end up spending much time in D2R, it would be for a project like this. I quested a Sorc through Normal just to see the graphics, but the load times were so brutal that I've not returned since that foray.

Reactions: snickersnack
I think this would be pretty fun in D2R, with the ability to up Normal Sets making those more potent for late game.
Man, I haven't been paying attention to the D2R changes. Looks like we started playing this game a couple of decades too early! Although, most of the normal sets don't have much in the way of enhanced damage to begin with..

@Arjan - any of the sets are workable if you have the patience and plan a build that will work with the items!

Cahir (Celtic for Battle man) has started his journey. I just got him to level 13 so he is now wearing the Angelic Rainment set in full: 2 Angelic Sickles, 2 Halo's and 1 wings and mantle obviously.
Wich leaves the boots, gloves, belt and helmet for getting some well needed sublements, I'm going to look for res, CB and leech to keep him alive.
Which means I will start with some crafting some nice Blood gloves. helmet I'm going for a barb helmet with as many sockets as possible for res runes. Boots will probably be Goreriders or goblin toes. Belt for now I'm leaning towards string of ears.

My skillplan will be something like:
20 Taunt
20 Double swing
20 frenzy
20 war cry
1 battle command
1 sword mastery
1 iron skin
1 natural resistance

whats left I'll use on battle orders and shout.

Edit: well those first blood gloves could have been worse. I think I'll be rerolling them a lot.
Blood gloves.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
First impression while playing with this build: I can see some issues later on in the game (hello resistance) but in general I'm really enjoying how this plays. I'm starting to get myself in a flow where I first cast my buffs and then cast howl to get groups running and the taunt individuals to come running towards me. While they are running the forget some basics things like attacking me or raising fallens.

This negates the low end damage I have. I do think CB is going to be essential in the later part of the game. I really feel that needs to be well above 50% and probably going for 75. So that might mean putting a Ber in a Sickle... or remove a sickle for another weapon with CB.

First we'll see how I get through normal. I do feel that shouldn't be too much of an issue with this build.

First impression while playing with this build: I can see some issues later on in the game (hello resistance) but in general I'm really enjoying how this plays. I'm starting to get myself in a flow where I first cast my buffs and then cast howl to get groups running and the taunt individuals to come running towards me. While they are running the forget some basics things like attacking me or raising fallens.

This negates the low end damage I have. I do think CB is going to be essential in the later part of the game. I really feel that needs to be well above 50% and probably going for 75. So that might mean putting a Ber in a Sickle... or remove a sickle for another weapon with CB.

First we'll see how I get through normal. I do feel that shouldn't be too much of an issue with this build.
Have you considered using Voice of Reason? Normally, one of the drawbacks is the ctc is on hit rather than on attack, but with crazy AR, that difference is tiny. It also gives CBF, freeing up a ring slot.

Have you considered using Voice of Reason? Normally, one of the drawbacks is the ctc is on hit rather than on attack, but with crazy AR, that difference is tiny. It also gives CBF, freeing up a ring slot.
VoR is actually one of the weapons I consider for later on. I have it in a knout now so I either put a point in mace mastery or make another one in a sword (I think that should be possible). With the AR and AS with frenzy that thing should be firing orbs a lot

Reactions: snickersnack
And this marks the end of normal, except for a cow run. Cahir had no real problems getting through normal with the Angelic set. There were no NDE's killing was slow for a large part of the game, but after shuffling a bit with charms it improved so he did a bit more then stunning the monsters and then watching the merc kill them one by one.

I do think I will see that kind of gameplay again later on in the game, because I'm a bit out of min. damage charms at this point so I don't see a lot of room for improvement for the most part of the game.

The build at end of normal is:
helm: rare with +1 barb skills
amulet: angelic wings
weapon: angelic sickle
armour: angelic mantle (1 free socket)
off hand: angelic sickle
gloves: crafted blood gloves with +amazon skill
belt: string of ears
ring 1: angelic halo
ring 2: angelic halo
boots: upped goblin toe

He has 95 points in strength, 98 in vitality, 25 in dex and 10 in energy leaving 97 skillpoints unspent at this point.

skills with more then 1 point are:
10 taunt (gives bonus to frenzy and war cry)
7 BO (because BO)
5 double swing (early gameplay and bonus for frenzy)
7 frenzy

all skillpoints are used.

Slayer_cahir.png

So, Cahir is out of normal and I wanted to start designing a new character hence Ogier was made.

Ogier will be a bowadin focussed mainly on cold damage. Which would leave a lot of points to spent in other stuff, so this is going to be some sort of hybrid again, but I have no idea what so ever what it will be. First I need to get him leveled so he can equip the stuff and see what that gives me to play with.

Cahir will still be my main character to play with until I finished (except when I run Roland for MFO of course) but I need to start plotting the next one to keep my mind busy

Edit: played him until he freed deckard. He was able to wear the full set when he reached level 9 and his damage output so far is not bad. I don’t see a lot of trouble in normal and probably not too much in NM. Resis is going to take some work, but with two ring slots free that should be doable anyway

Last edited:
Bowadin... never done one of those before. I remember them (I think we called them Rangers more often?) being a thing back when you could stack auras by rapidly switching or something. I'll be curious to see where that takes you!

A bit OT, but I'm curious... what setup are you using on Roland to run Baal?

Bowadin... never done one of those before. I remember them (I think we called them Rangers more often?) being a thing back when you could stack auras by rapidly switching or something. I'll be curious to see where that takes you!

A bit OT, but I'm curious... what setup are you using on Roland to run Baal?
Yeah I found some builds but they all have way better bows/crossbows then this silly Artic thingy so I might be in for a hard time later on.
The lack of resistance and belt slots are only adding to the feeling of terror.

I haven’t checked Roland out for a while. So far his kill speed and safety is ok, maybe even a bit too much, but his MF feels a bit low. On the other hand I think I rather have him do more runs quicker then with more MF because doubling a very low drop chance is still a very low drop chance. I’ll check and come back to you when I get some time to game again. Could be a day or two… crazy busy at work because I nearly leave for a holiday

Haven't been here in ages... the office gets too cold in winter too sit in, so haven't been playing D2LOD a lot until just the other week.

So... a small update on this quest since this is what I am doing most now. Still doing the other Sept too, but decided to go easy for now as a warm up.

nameBuildsetlevelpointsav ilvldeads
CahirFrenzy BarbAngelic Rainment62241120
OgierBowadinArctic gear37020

Ogier just finished act IV normal. Without cold immunes he's having a walk in the park. So next up is finishing normal and see what new set I'll use on a third build... I'm leaning toward a Cleglaw's Druid (CB werewolf).
Cahir just reached act IV Nightmare. Still no deaths, and not too many NDE's either. Although with my immunities those can't be too far off...

Kinda dropped the points. Quest is more than demanding enough the way it is...

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High