Covid-19 Prepping thread

1 million deaths in the USA.

We did it guys! We are number 1!

Well, probably not number 1, but we reached an important milestone to commemorate the ineffectiveness of leadership.

• Haha
Reactions: Leopold Stotch
There might be a few third world countries with higher death tolls. The difference is that the USA has rather good means to count deaths by or with Covid while a lot Covid deaths might go undiagnosed in e.g. India.

We did it guys! We are number 1!
But yes, if India cannot prove it, you are ahead of them (y)

WHO is apparently claiming India has had 4.74 million Covid deaths. India only knows about less than 500,000. That's a pretty damn big discrepancy, and India itself is questioning the WHO's methodology.

Well, India has 4-5 times the population of the US, so congrats for having a slightly lower per-capita death toll than India.

1 million deaths in the USA.
"220,000 Americans dead. If you hear nothing else I say tonight, hear this. Anyone who's responsible for not taking control — in fact, not saying, I take no responsibility, initially — anyone who is responsible for that many deaths should not remain as President of the United States of America."
Can anyone help me identify who said this?

"220,000 Americans dead. If you hear nothing else I say tonight, hear this. Anyone who's responsible for not taking control — in fact, not saying, I take no responsibility, initially — anyone who is responsible for that many deaths should not remain as President of the United States of America."
Can anyone help me identify who said this?
Yes. Get rid of him and get a president willing to force everyone to vaccinate, wear masks, test and social distance.

• Haha
Reactions: Talga Vasternich
Yes. Get rid of him and get a president willing to force everyone to vaccinate, wear masks, test and social distance.
I sincerely hope this was sarcasm.
Kinda hard to tell with some people.

Yes, how dare we try to minimize deaths.
What would be your suggestion for people who do not want to get the shots?
Incarceration... banishment from society... death?

Well many of them are already dead. I don't have a problem with your other 2 suggestions.

Well many of them are already dead. I don't have a problem with your other 2 suggestions.
Spoken like a true authoritarian.

This is one of the things I find deliciously ironic about the mandatory-shots-or-else crowd. If the people you disagree with are refusing something you believe is beneficial, wouldn't you encourage this behavior... thereby eliminating the issue?
Brings to mind a quote from one of my favorite movies, "The one man in this sore and sick community who wants to save you from yourself!"

Reactions: Glurin
Until it mutates into a variant and kills me.

Until it mutates into a variant and kills me.
What about these shots prevents mutation in the Covid-19 coronavirus?

Separately, do you believe that mutation only comes from those who have not received the shots?

Separately, do you believe that mutation only comes from those who have not received the shots?
It slows down the spread and decreases the viral load produced by an infected person. Reducing chances for a mutation.

Are you antivax?

It slows down the spread and decreases the viral load produced by an infected person. Reducing chances for a mutation.
Actually, no. The data has in reality been fairly mixed on that point. In fact some data out of Europe is even suggesting a negative efficacy at some point, particularly among seniors who've been double vaxed.

Furthermore, vaccines that only reduce symptoms but allow the virus to survive are known as "leaky" vaccines, which can actually strengthen the virus and create more virulent and potentially more lethal strains precisely because it allows the virus to survive and does not prevent transmission. The result is somewhat of a faustian bargain. Taking the vaccine will probably reduce symptoms and increase survivability, at least in those that are vaccinated, but at the cost of creating an even stronger variant. What you want is a vaccine that grants real immunity, preventing the virus from taking hold or transmitting at all.

It's something that we've known about for years before Covid. In fact virologists and epidemiologists have been concerned about the consequences of leaky vaccines since at least the 1980's, but of course these days any of them that voice those concerns at the very least face Twitter bans for "disinformation". :rolleyes:

Biology is messy and complicated, no matter how much you want the answer to be getting stabbed with a needle.

Furthermore, vaccines that only reduce symptoms but allow the virus to survive are known as "leaky" vaccines, which can actually strengthen the virus and create more virulent and potentially more lethal strains precisely because it allows the virus to survive and does not prevent transmission. The result is somewhat of a faustian bargain. Taking the vaccine will probably reduce symptoms and increase survivability, at least in those that are vaccinated, but at the cost of creating an even stronger variant. What you want is a vaccine that grants real immunity, preventing the virus from taking hold or transmitting at all.

That's correct, but that applies to vaccinations in general. Covid is a kind of virus that can mutate rather easily, so we will probably not eradicate it anytime soon. The Omikron variant is probably is a result of mutation and selection from evolutionary pressure by the vaccinations together with having enough breeding ground among unvaccinated people. The interesting thing is that it's rather weak, so if we keep on fighting dangerous variants, we might be successful with providing the ground for rather variants that are "just" like the flu.

However, the result might be unclear because:

Biology is messy and complicated, no matter how much you want the answer to be getting stabbed with a needle.

But not doing anything is certainly not the right conclusion.

Not only, but they are supporting them. Non-resistant people provide the viruses and the resistant people are their training ground for mutations. It's a bit like the problem with bacteria that develop immunities to antibiotics. Mutation and selection are getting a boost from people (edit) taking stopping to take their antibiotics when they feel well (when you still have them in your body) rather than until the end, or from improper hygienic measures.

I agree that incarceration for unvaccinated people is not acceptable, but in case a really dangerous variant comes up, I have no problem with mandatory vaccinations and fines who refuse or evade them.

I have no tolerance for infected people who refuse to stay away from others, in particular from people who are at a high risk of serious harm. People are responsible for their actions or lack thereof. They have to provide a compensation for the damage they cause and it might also need a proper punishment by the law.

Last edited:
Link the studies, Glurin.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High