Covid-19 Prepping thread

So Cuomo is responsible for 10's of thousands of deaths in NY. Trump is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths in the USA. They can both burn in hell. When all the facts come out, most Dems will agree that is where they both belong. The problem is with the Republicans who believe that only only Cuomo deserves that fate and Trump did no wrong.

Covid Relief Bill passes both the House and Senate. Time to trigger a few more people. I (a non US citizen) am eligible for a payment. I plan on spending it on Lego. A seller in Canada has a set that i've had my eye on for a few months.

Can't wait to get stimulated!

Hmm, yes, the covid relief bill that has covid relief thrown in as an afterthought in the form of a $1,400 check. And I'm a little surprised it's that much.

Less than 9% of the near two trillion dollar bill actually goes toward fighting the virus. The rest is bailouts and handouts. That should be raising some eyebrows even if you think some of those bailouts are warranted.

Remember when, what was it, four trillion in total debt accumulated over decades was unpatriotic? How the democrats were totally against raising the debt ceiling until Obama took over, then they were all for it while the republicans were against it? Then Trump comes in and the republicans were super excited about raising it even further?

Ever wondered why real fiscal conservatives are against raising the debt no matter who's in charge? This is why. So that when a situation arises where you have to spend a lot of money, you won't already be in a situation where doing so is going to get you into a whole lot more trouble.

It doesn't. Our debt is now way, way, WAY above our GDP. The full faith and credit of the United States has officially been flushed down the toilet, which is why several nations now have been looking for alternatives to the dollar. Tax everyone in the nation at 100% of their income, from Jeff Bezos to the smelly guy sleeping on the park bench, you won't be able to pay it off.

If you're asking how they manage to put numbers on checks, it's because they just print more money. At this point I doubt many of them even understand what that means. Despite the idea being proven over and over and over to be a really bad thing to do, the notion of printing your way out of debt has been embraced as an official doctrine called Modern Monetary Theory. As AOC said when pressed on how she plans to pay for a bill she proposed that would cost an estimated four trillion dollars in the first year alone: "What do you mean 'how do you pay for it'? You just do."

We have a saying here: Save up in times of wealth, so you have in times of need.

I see no reason how the hand money will help at keeping the virus in check, but it will keep those calm who believe that it's their right to receive it. A better idea would be something like a certain amount of free quick Covid tests for everyone every week.

Also, as soon as entrance to restaurants etc. is allowed with a negative Covid test, the owners might provide quick tests at the entrance and a refund for those who have spent a certain minimum of money.

Reactions: Glurin
I see no reason how the hand money will help at keeping the virus in check, but it will keep those calm who believe that it's their right to receive it. A better idea would be something like a certain amount of free quick Covid tests for everyone every week.
Why not both?

The payment might keep someone from having to work a second job that puts them in a place more likely to contract covid and thus continue the spread. Most 2nd jobs like these are lower paying jobs in the essential sector. Think grocery store bagger or cashier at a gas station. Jobs requiring you to interact directly with the public.

There are millions of Americans out of work who have exhausted UI and savings who now rely on foodbanks to feed their families. That $1400 will be a lifeline for them.

Glurin is choosing to ignore that the nation's debt tripled under Trump, and that the Republican sponsored aid exceeded the cost of the current one. Also, that 75% of the American public is in favor of the current effort. But, then, the Republican cowards and traitors hate democracy and America and don't care what citizens think, as witnessed by their efforts to reimpose Jim Crow in Georgia and elsewhere.

Make you wonder exactly who the R's in both the Senate and the House actually represent.

The US printed trillions of new $'s in the past 4 years. The economy didn't collapse. The stonk market didn't lock their doors. The $ wasn't seriously devalued compared to other countries because guess what? Those countries are in the same boat as the US. They had to fire up their printers too. Everything continued as it had before.

The general public bitching about currency devaluation might be carrying a few thousand at most in their bank accounts. Conservative media told them to beware of the $ printing boogeyman now that a D is in the Whitehouse and they swallow that shit up.

The hand money appears to me as a bribe for the needy. Once they've spent it, they will still be needy. It's useless, excpet for your Lego collection.

Reactions: Glurin
Giving it to me is a waste, yes but please keep in mind that The US doesn't have the social safety net that people in Germany or Canada have. If you've never been to the states and driven the backroads of some of the southern states, you wouldn't understand the true poverty found the world's richest country.

I was gobsmacked the first roadtrip that I took to the south. The only thing comparable to that kind of poverty in Canada that I had witnessed was an Indian reservation in northern Ontario.

For many in the states, that 1400 will be a lifeline.

Giving it to me is a waste, yes but please keep in mind that The US doesn't have the social safety net that people in Germany or Canada have. If you've never been to the states and driven the backroads of some of the southern states, you wouldn't understand the true poverty found the world's richest country.

I was gobsmacked the first roadtrip that I took to the south. The only thing comparable to that kind of poverty in Canada that I had witnessed was an Indian reservation in northern Ontario.

For many in the states, that 1400 will be a lifeline.
Totally agree with this.

Words don't even put it in a true perspective.

There are millions of Americans out of work who have exhausted UI and savings who now rely on foodbanks to feed their families. That $1400 will be a lifeline for them.
Not really, no. A one time check for $1400 isn't going to go very far after being out of work for a year. Better than nothing I suppose, but not life changing.

Glurin is choosing to ignore that the nation's debt tripled under Trump, and that the Republican sponsored aid exceeded the cost of the current one. Also, that 75% of the American public is in favor of the current effort. But, then, the Republican cowards and traitors hate democracy and America and don't care what citizens think, as witnessed by their efforts to reimpose Jim Crow in Georgia and elsewhere.
You did see the part where I specifically called out the republicans for increasing the debt, right? Or did those blinders get in your way once again.

The Jim Crow stuff is just bullshit. You're parroting propaganda again.

The Jim Crow stuff is just bullshit.
No, it is exactly what is happening in Georgia. Republicans want to make it very difficult for African Americans to cast their vote. Why? Because the majority of African Americans will not vote for the Republican party. The only way that the Republican party can maintain their grasp on power in many states is through voter suppression laws aimed at minorities. They are on record stating that exact thing.

The general public bitching about currency devaluation might be carrying a few thousand at most in their bank accounts. Conservative media told them to beware of the $ printing boogeyman now that a D is in the Whitehouse and they swallow that shit up.
Uh, no. This is something that's been going on for some time.

You understand what makes money work, right? It's not that it's money. It's the fact that it has value. I borrow $100 dollars from you and can buy a $100 hamburger. I then print $100 and give it to you as repayment. That $100 you just received now only has $50 worth of buying power compared to what it was before.

No, it is exactly what is happening in Georgia. Republicans want to make it very difficult for African Americans to cast their vote. Why? Because the majority of African Americans will not vote for the Republican party. The only way that the Republican party can maintain their grasp on power in many states is through voter suppression laws aimed at minorities. They are on record stating that exact thing.
Bullshit. They've done no such thing.

First of all, election integrity laws do not apply only to minorities and do not specifically target them in any way. A black person can just as easily go down to the DMV and get an ID as a white person. You only have problems if you're in the country illegally, in which case you do not have the right to cast a vote. Legally or ethically. Something the democrats have tried for years to change because people who should not be voting always vote democrat. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

Second, republicans gained African American votes in the last election. Trump gained African American votes. People are finally, slowly beginning to realize that the democrat party is not the guardian of racial equality they claim to be. In fact lately all they've done is inflame racial tensions. The only people today who actually give a damn what color your skin is vote democrat. And guess what. The Jim Crow laws were also enacted by democrats.

Your simplistic grasp of macro economics made my brains liquify and leak out my ears.

Your simplistic grasp of macro economics made my brains liquify and leak out my ears.
I take it you enjoy the idea of blowing your whole paycheck the day you get it on a loaf of bread because you won't be able to afford it the very next day.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High