Chance for sockets on a normal quality item?

d2lover

Guide Author
Oct 8, 2019
I know that the chance for ethereal is 5%.
But what is the chance for ethereal and 3 sockets (the weapon in question can of course have more than 3)

Is the chance for sockets on a normal quality item (not magic or higher) like 25% or so?

Item Generation Tutorial has all the nitty gritty details, but tl;dr - 1/3 of all normal and superior items have sockets, and up to 6 is always rolled, and then truncated to the max number of sockets that specific item can have at ts specific iLevel. Say you want two-socketed Ancient Sword for your spiffy Tir and El runes to go in. According to this table , it can always have max three sockets. It has 1/6 probability of rolling 1 socket, 1/6 rolling two and then 4/6 rolling three sockets, because if 4 ,5 or 6 sockets are rolled, they are capped at 3.

All recipeis and in game mechanics work like this, except for larzuk, which always gives you max number of sockets.

Reactions: Luhkoh
yes afaik this seems to be the case

btw there is a recipe that converts cracked items to normal quality items with iLevel=1

1 Eld Rune + 1 Chipped Gem + Low Quality Weapon --> Normal Quality Weapon of same type

this can be used to get some elite weapons with guaranteed low amount of sockets from larzuk, that would not be obtainable from monster drops

Lets say, you want 3os Colossus Blade. These normally only drop in hell, so their max sockets will be set to 6. If you find a crude one and cube it following the recipe above, you will get iLvl 1 CB with max sockets of 3 that will get guaranteed 3os from larzuk.

Unfortunately, you cannot generate ethereal items through any cube recipe.

Last edited:
Actually when an item drops via a monster the game does a roll of 1 to the maximum amount of sockets available on that item. It's even in the item generation tutorial:
1/3 of all normal and superior items are socketed. The number of sockets is generated randomly from the range, with the number effected by item type and item level.

Reactions: Luhkoh and skiffcz
All recipeis and in game mechanics work like this, except for larzuk, which always gives you max number of sockets.
Larzuk doesn't always give you the maximum amount of sockets.
He gives 1 for unique, set, crafted and rare items. And 1 or 2 with equal probablity for magic items (unless of course the base item is capped at 1 socket).

He can give more than 2 in 1.07 (not sure about 1.08) for crafted and magic items. Not sure on the details though.

Reactions: skiffcz
@Yann magics get 1-4 sockets and crafted always 3 or the max number(like a boneknife gets 1 because that's the max) in 1.07.

actually magic circlets are a bad choice for larzuk in 1.07, because they always get 1, on the other hand, a +3 offensive, @40+ pally shield can get 4 sockets

Actually when an item drops via a monster the game does a roll of 1 to the maximum amount of sockets available on that item. It's even in the item generation tutorial:
ha, I have it confused with the hole punching cube recipes, those say:

"The game rolls for up to 6 sockets with this recipe. If a weapon can not have 6 sockets, then the number is capped to the maximum for that particular item after the roll. A weapon with 3 sockets maximum would have 1/6 chance for 1, 1/6 chance for 2, and 4/6 chance for 3."

I always assumed that is how sockets are rolled anywhere. Good point, my bad!

Larzuk doesn't always give you the maximum amount of sockets.
He gives 1 for unique, set, crafted and rare items. And 1 or 2 with equal probablity for magic items (unless of course the base item is capped at 1 socket).

He can give more than 2 in 1.07 (not sure about 1.08) for crafted and magic items. Not sure on the details though.

Yes, thats right, I was talking about normal white and ethereal items in the context of OP innitial quetion, but I should have been more clear :)

Reactions: Yann
In retrospect I think it should have been clear to me since OP was asking about normal items, but by the time I had scrolled down I had already forgotten about that or something. Getting old over here!

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High