Buying LOD for CD KEY

againandagain

New member
Sep 28, 2004
112
0
0
Buying LOD for CD KEY

Hello i was wondering when i buy LOD could i get trouble with used cd key and how fast can they track my cd key down? if iam firewalled and useing a router with also a firewall build in and afcourse how do i prefend tips for makng my cd unseen and unknown to others? :spy: because i feel kinda **** when i buy the game and play for couple of weeks and find out that my cd key is used by other persons!! :rant:
 
If you buy a used key, especially if you bought it from a stranger (e.g. via Ebay, from a bnet "buddy" etc.), you never know who else uses it. The CD key isn't bound to a single computer. You can use it for as many computers as you want, as long as only one computer accesses bnet at the same time.

The CD key is only transferred to battlenet servers and I guess this transfer cannot be initiated from the outside. I'm just guessing, but it would be very stupid from bnet if it would work otherwise and I'm sure we would already have hundreds of thousands of reports about stolen keys if it would be different.

Of course, if you have a trojan on your computer, no external firewall on your gateway (your router plus the router at the ISP together are effectively a gateway) will help. However, personal firewalls (which I strongly suggest to install - don't use the crude firewall from service pack 2) work differently. They patch the system, so you will normally be alerted you if a program tries to access the internet which you haven't agreed to do so or if such a program has changed. However, a trojan might circumvent your personal firewall, so keep your system clean. I'm not accusing you of anything, but never, ever install cracks or hacks of any software or in general, any software whose main purpose is doing illegal things (including MH).

In short, if you have a clean system and a clean gateway and you don't use a used key, it should be safe. It's theoretically possible that a server along the route from your computer to bnet got hacked and monitors TCP/IP traffic via the usual ports used for bnet communication, but I guess that's unlikely to happen.
 
krischan said:
If you buy a used key, especially if you bought it from a stranger (e.g. via Ebay, from a bnet "buddy" etc.), you never know who else uses it. The CD key isn't bound to a single computer. You can use it for as many computers as you want, as long as only one computer accesses bnet at the same time.

The CD key is only transferred to battlenet servers and I guess this transfer cannot be initiated from the outside. I'm just guessing, but it would be very stupid from bnet if it would work otherwise and I'm sure we would already have hundreds of thousands of reports about stolen keys if it would be different.

Of course, if you have a trojan on your computer, no external firewall on your gateway (your router plus the router at the ISP together are effectively a gateway) will help. However, personal firewalls (which I strongly suggest to install - don't use the crude firewall from service pack 2) work differently. They patch the system, so you will normally be alerted you if a program tries to access the internet which you haven't agreed to do so or if such a program has changed. However, a trojan might circumvent your personal firewall, so keep your system clean. I'm not accusing you of anything, but never, ever install cracks or hacks of any software or in general, any software whose main purpose is doing illegal things (including MH).

In short, if you have a clean system and a clean gateway and you don't use a used key, it should be safe. It's theoretically possible that a server along the route from your computer to bnet got hacked and monitors TCP/IP traffic via the usual ports used for bnet communication, but I guess that's unlikely to happen.


Great explaination but i have not much knowledge of gateways and sort things but i do know how program acces works via firwall and know little about my router to function and to stay protect But you dit not realy answer one of my question i mean when i buy a lod from a shop is the cd-key realy unused? because i found it weird i once tried to use battlenet cd keys from internet and it worked sometimes but when i try ti logon next day or 2 it says that is already in use :cheesy: this makes my unsure to just buy the game or not because i found it weird and might happen with a orginel cd key?

thanks
 
againandagain said:
Great explaination but i have not much knowledge of gateways and sort things but i do know how program acces works via firwall and know little about my router to function and to stay protect But you dit not realy answer one of my question i mean when i buy a lod from a shop is the cd-key realy unused? because i found it weird i once tried to use battlenet cd keys from internet and it worked sometimes but when i try ti logon next day or 2 it says that is already in use :cheesy: this makes my unsure to just buy the game or not because i found it weird and might happen with a orginel cd key?

thanks


Yes, that's weird. A key bought from a shop should be unused. An explanation would be that some key generator produced that key. The chances should be minimal, however. Another possibility is that somebody bought it, opened the wrapping, used the key, repaired the wrapping and gave it back to the shop.

That sounds like bad luck. If somebody else uses your key, you can't do anything about it and I guess the costs for a new copy don't justify taking the efforts to convince Blizzard to give you a new key - and I doubt they will do that at all.
 
If you're buying any one of the following:
-Used copy/key.
-Generated key.
-Pirated copy.

There's a huge chance that the key won't work on battle.net. There's a lot of profit to be had selling the same key 10 times, no?

If you're buying an honest-to-god copy in the box, the key should work fine. You might need two unique CD-keys (one for D2C one for D2X), but I forget.

If you're running two new diablo2 keys purchased in a box and still can't connect, someone's stealing your CD key via a virus on your computer or physically snooping around in your stuff (i.e. your house/dorm/castle) and writing it down.

Short version: Just buy a real copy of the game. If that isn't working, get the viruses off your computer.
 
Kretschmer said:
If you're buying any one of the following:
-Used copy/key.
-Generated key.
-Pirated copy.

There's a huge chance that the key won't work on battle.net. There's a lot of profit to be had selling the same key 10 times, no?

If you're buying an honest-to-god copy in the box, the key should work fine. You might need two unique CD-keys (one for D2C one for D2X), but I forget.

If you're running two new diablo2 keys purchased in a box and still can't connect, someone's stealing your CD key via a virus on your computer or physically snooping around in your stuff (i.e. your house/dorm/castle) and writing it down.

Short version: Just buy a real copy of the game. If that isn't working, get the viruses off your computer.


Yes tried a cdkey from internet serveral times and dit work!! :cheesy: but for a short time and then gived me the error: cd key in use or the error: this cd key is not suited for this program or something but why is it working if its pirated cd key or whatever you call it, :cheesy: this makes me not convinced to buy the game as people( includes me ) are afraid that it already be in use by another person or are afraid that they wil be hacked and lose there cd key. No iam well protected and know what iam doing when i download something or running something and like krischan said it wil be not worth the trouble to contact blizzard for it.
 
If you can get a CD key from an online source, other people can get the same CD key from the same source. You all try and use battle.net at the same time, the key eventually gets flagged, and it stops working.

A new, retail key is yours and yours alone. Either buy the game or don't attempt to get online.
 
Kretschmer said:
If you can get a CD key from an online source, other people can get the same CD key from the same source. You all try and use battle.net at the same time, the key eventually gets flagged, and it stops working.

A new, retail key is yours and yours alone. Either buy the game or don't attempt to get online.

what do you mean the key gets flagged?
flagged by bnet? if so lets say i had two comps using the same cd key (school, home) would bliz just shut it off if it saw two diff comps using it?
 
It won't be disabled if you use it on two computers. But if hundreds or thousands of people essentially hammer bnet with the same key, something smells fishy. Even Blizzard should notice that.

A key produced from a keygen should never work in an online game --- unless the real keygen has been stolen. Keygens will only produce keys the pass the check INSIDE the game, but the server code is not available for inspection --- so keygen makers cannot know what checks the server performs.

There are, of course, ways around that --- just produce keys and check them using bnet. But this takes a LONG time --- the cheapest way to make such schemes hard is to simply wait for a second or two before giving the "ok" or "error" back to the client. There are other means that can be used in addition to that; again, this is purely serverside and can be updated any time.

In any case, anything got from sources other than a new, properly packaged retail box is something you know nothing about. Keygens cannot make real keys. There is only a limited number of stolen keys that are distributed to the public, so they are likely to be noticed.

There is no harm in having the same key on two computers --- I have two keys, and both are installed on my box, as well as inside a vmware virtual machine. Sometimes I accidentally start the same client twice, or start it on both the real box and the virtual one; it also happens that the 24h "kick" from my ISP interrupts the connection, and I try to reconnect before bnet has noticed that I'm gone...

One of my keys is actually from a friend; so sometimes he would try to log on just to get the "key in use". He would then notify me that he wanted to play.

These kinds of "multiple key use" are nothing that a fraud detection system cares about. It's mass use of a key that a system might want to block.
 
Bnet checks 2 keys each and everytime you log on, though you are not required to have them on just 1 computer, in fact blizzard doesn't care if you have them on multiple computers and mixed and matched.

1 key is from D2
1 key is from D2LOD

If either of them are logged in or have been banned by blizzard (most likely due to being caught botting or some other offence) then Bnet will not allow access.

I had this problem when I first started playing Diablo I only bought D2LOD and used a friends D2 to get the expansion to play. Anytime he was online I would not be able to join Bnet. Likewise anytime I was online he could not join Bnet. The only catch was if we played on different realms we could play at the same time since the servers are realm based not a full system.

My suggestion is to back up your diablo save folders and uninstall/reinstall with the keys for each D2 and LOD, that will guarantee you have legit keys that don't match anything else. If you get them from a store your guaranteed to have unique CDkeys.

Oh and for heavens sake if your on a forum like this one for a game spend the $20 some odd bucks for a legit copy of the game. Blizzard put a lot of work into the game give them some money for the game.
 
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High