D2 Blizzard on Diablo 2 Resurrected TCP/IP, ultrawide, and console lobbies

So, really no new info on the TCP/IP thing. They said before that it was removed due to some kind of unspecified security issue and they're pretty much just repeating that. They just added the bit about still having access to "a form of modding" and gave as an example adjusting values of skills and items.

The ultrawide section gives a little bit more info about the problem, but it still boils down to the original game just not being designed with ultrawide monitors in mind. Probably because at the time, a 19 inch, 4x3 screen was considered gigantic. It also took up most of your desk and weighed about fifty pounds. (That's not an exaggeration, for any of you out there who never had to deal with them. And now I feel old. 😑 )

The console lobbies section reads like there's some new info at least. But I can't say for sure since I wasn't paying attention to that news. Nearly all of my gaming is on PC, so it doesn't really apply in my case.

Yeah, the bit about TCP/IP is so suspicious and hand-wavy.

Since Diablo 2 supports TCP/IP, Diablo 2 needs to be able to act both as a client and a server. So, it already has the client and server code. This can be a security issue because with that, you may be revealing Battle.net server code as well in case it's similarly designed. And if you know a thing or two about the Battle.net servers by reverse-engineering the code, you can develop hacks that work on Battle.net! Boom, security problem.

But. Diablo 2: Resurrected does not play on regular Battle.net. It plays on Battle.net 2.0. So, how does it matter that this ancient server code remains in Diablo 2: Resurrected for it to act as a server in TCP/IP scenarios? It will most certainly not have anything to do with Battle.net 2.0 in the slightest. The original client/server code in Diablo 2 was developed in a different day and age when Blizzard North wasn't even that great at it.

Besides, how serious attacks to Battle.net or gamer safety did Diablo 2 cause during the ages when it's had TCP/IP support? Given Blizzard's arguments, it ought to have been horrible, but was it really? Maybe bot developers have benefitted somewhat? Who knows? Dupe testing on a local machine before going live? But they say Diablo 2: Resurrected already has seen bots though, so... I don't know.

So why not just leave this old client/server code intact, with a new Battle.net 2.0 client code in addition to that. And no Battle.net 2.0 server code in the game. This way, you'd happily play online on Battle.net 2.0 while supporting TCP/IP with their trashy classic network code.

Yeah, the bit about TCP/IP is so suspicious and hand-wavy.

Since Diablo 2 supports TCP/IP, Diablo 2 needs to be able to act both as a client and a server. So, it already has the client and server code. This can be a security issue because with that, you may be revealing Battle.net server code as well in case it's similarly designed. And if you know a thing or two about the Battle.net servers by reverse-engineering the code, you can develop hacks that work on Battle.net! Boom, security problem.

But. Diablo 2: Resurrected does not play on regular Battle.net. It plays on Battle.net 2.0. So, how does it matter that this ancient server code remains in Diablo 2: Resurrected for it to act as a server in TCP/IP scenarios? It will most certainly not have anything to do with Battle.net 2.0 in the slightest. The original client/server code in Diablo 2 was developed in a different day and age when Blizzard North wasn't even that great at it.

Besides, how serious attacks to Battle.net or gamer safety did Diablo 2 cause during the ages when it's had TCP/IP support? Given Blizzard's arguments, it ought to have been horrible, but was it really? Maybe bot developers have benefitted somewhat? Who knows? Dupe testing on a local machine before going live? But they say Diablo 2: Resurrected already has seen bots though, so... I don't know.

So why not just leave this old client/server code intact, with a new Battle.net 2.0 client code in addition to that. And no Battle.net 2.0 server code in the game. This way, you'd happily play online on Battle.net 2.0 while supporting TCP/IP with their trashy classic network code.
The difference is you can ban an actual blizzard account. Imagine you play WOW and a slew of other blizzard games. Do you think your going to risk using a maphack etc? Sure you can create another account but they still may hardware/IP ban you if repeated attempts and each attempt is going to cost you 40 bucks. I imagine they are thinking the economy will be healthy, and time will tell if using the the current battle.net integration reduces the hacks/duped gear running amuck.

As much as I want TCP/IP the same can be said and they did say, your more than free to play D2 over TCP/IP.

Bunch of excuses.
1. Ultrawide - "it breaks the game"
Then go and fix it, stop cutting corners, there are more complex games out there, and dont tell us you cant mess with the code, you already did. Also, its just a game. And black bars on the sides, that thing got old decades ago.

2. Console lobbies - again shortcuts and cutting corners, dont tell us its impossible, its just more convinient for you.

3. Tcp ip - who ever died because of that in diablo 2? Its a game, frigg off.
Let me guess no true single player then too? Because we can hack the hell out of it then. But oh wait, there will be single player but only on consoles, like in diablo 3. What the actual f...

Security? Hello. It will be filled with bots before they can say "bot". Member how every class was unlocked in alpha? Their security is trash and they are trash, so we might as well get our tcp ip and true single player.

I cancelled my preorder to make a statement, but I will buy it again when it launches, it will be quite a show I believe. Cant miss that one.

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High