Blizzard glitch question

zorohpjtr

Aug 19, 2020
Hi all SPers

I'm not new to this forum but usually prefer to be very quite as I'm not 100% SPers by the rule. But I really enjoy how in-depth knowledge this forum is and would like to get some help from that.

Many has been aware of the "glitch" of fissure that when 2 monsters step on one same crack the fire damage alternate between those 2 mobs and hence create huge damage. Some said that this is the so-called "Last Collide" bug - Though I'm not 100% sure if that's really true as I think Last Collide only applies to missile, such as lightening. Nevertheless, you can easily observe this glitch by dragging group of cows into the fissure - the fire spot will madly flash between cows when numbers are still huge. It then go down very quickly when only few cows left.

However I have read some note said that Blizzard is also subject to the exact same glitch which is part of the reason why Blizzard is such powerful skill. I was suspicious about this note as the reference link died and I cannot find any other source supporting this statement - Not even Basin Wiki which is almost always correct. I try to record some video of blizzard Sorc herding cows and also do not oberve the same result of cold spot alternating between cows like fissure did. Each cow seems for me only get hit once by blizzard shatter.

But then that's bassically my question: anyone know if blizzard is also subject to the same bug as fissure? I would imagine if so it might make blizzard sorc also a high A-tier cow farmer.

I don't know anything about the glitch, but I've played my blizz sorceress the most out of my 10 mats/pats and she is S-tier for cows -- for me at least. She has good equipment, though it doesn't even have to be best in slot for a blizz sorceress to do very well there.

Last edited:
Welcome, non-believer. *kicks shins* :D

Found a forum post from 2018 in a non-SPF location that corroborates your initial assertion (google searched for, "d2 can one blizzard shard hit multiple targets," among many other search strings for side research), but I can't verify the legitimacy of the following quoted piece since I'm not a mechanics wizard.

From someone who called themselves Goomshill:

"Blizzard works by creating an invisible dummy at the target that spawns stationary missiles around it, the ice shards. The shards deal damage to any unit that overlaps them while they exist, and have nextcollide enabled- they can't collide again with the same unit they last collided with, but when overlapping multiple units will rapidly collide with them every other frame since it switches between them.

Hence blizzard deals more damage to a unit that runs through it, as you can collide with multiple shards. And it also deals more damage when overlapping multiple units in very close proximity to each other- size 2 shards are very small and can only hit multiple units if they're stacked on top of each other. But that rapid damage is both limited by the short duration of shard missiles and the fact that if weaker units just die in 1 hit, they won't be overlapping anymore.

Blizzard is functionally identical to expansion druid's fissure where the effects of overlapping units on lastcollide is more pronounced because of the larger size fissure vents with longer duration and lower damage. The two skills work the same with different parameters for duration, size, frequency, etc"

I'll leave it to the gurus to either confirm or deny the claim above. If true, it's an interesting revelation. However, it does nothing for me but confirm what we already know: Blizzard is beastly regardless of how the damage gets distributed. Take a Blizsorc into Ancient Tunnels or against the cows, and it does fantastic work.

Best of luck!

Reactions: coju and zorohpjtr
I don't know anything about the glitch, but I've played my blizz sorceress the most out of my 10 mats/pats and she is S-tier for cows -- for me at least. She has good equipment, though it doesn't even have to be best in slot for a blizz sorceress to do very well there.
Don't get me wrong. Blizz is good at cows for sure. Question is "how" good it is? Unfortunately during the RFL hostory it seems like very few decided to test it out with pure Blizz sorc and I was assuming there must be some reason. Personal experience is that she definitely doesn't meet necro, zon and sin.

Reactions: Triple Helix
Welcome, non-believer. *kicks shins* :D

Found a forum post from 2018 in a non-SPF location that corroborates your initial assertion (google searched for, "d2 can one blizzard shard hit multiple targets," among many other search strings for side research), but I can't verify the legitimacy of the following quoted piece since I'm not a mechanics wizard.

From someone who called themselves Goomshill:

"Blizzard works by creating an invisible dummy at the target that spawns stationary missiles around it, the ice shards. The shards deal damage to any unit that overlaps them while they exist, and have nextcollide enabled- they can't collide again with the same unit they last collided with, but when overlapping multiple units will rapidly collide with them every other frame since it switches between them.

Hence blizzard deals more damage to a unit that runs through it, as you can collide with multiple shards. And it also deals more damage when overlapping multiple units in very close proximity to each other- size 2 shards are very small and can only hit multiple units if they're stacked on top of each other. But that rapid damage is both limited by the short duration of shard missiles and the fact that if weaker units just die in 1 hit, they won't be overlapping anymore.

Blizzard is functionally identical to expansion druid's fissure where the effects of overlapping units on lastcollide is more pronounced because of the larger size fissure vents with longer duration and lower damage. The two skills work the same with different parameters for duration, size, frequency, etc"

I'll leave it to the gurus to either confirm or deny the claim above. If true, it's an interesting revelation. However, it does nothing for me but confirm what we already know: Blizzard is beastly regardless of how the damage gets distributed. Take a Blizsorc into Ancient Tunnels or against the cows, and it does fantastic work.

Best of luck!
Thanks bud haha.

That's actually very good point that the last collide effect blizz does is barely noticeable due to the short duration of blizzard shard hit. Also good point that once mobs got one shot last collide doesn't trigger.

And yeah for sure blizz is a vicious skill :)

Don't get me wrong. Blizz is good at cows for sure. Question is "how" good it is? Unfortunately during the RFL hostory it seems like very few decided to test it out with pure Blizz sorc and I was assuming there must be some reason. Personal experience is that she definitely doesn't meet necro, zon and sin.
My blizz sorc is a bit better geared than my Fishymancer, trapsin, and javazon by a bit I'll admit. The necro knocks them down fast with CE at lower /p settings for sure. I was surprised my javazon didn't plow through them on /p8 as fast as I expected even with Infinity on the merc. But again, I'm more practiced with the blizz sorc than my other characters, so between that and the gear differences my experiences may be skewed.

Last edited:
Reactions: zorohpjtr
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High